FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

looking for advice to support my husband

Buttercup
Community Member

hi, my husband has been going a really rough time, been out of work for over 2 years and money has been tight, he has recently lost interest in a lot of things that used to make him happy, including sex. He's having trouble sleeping, can't concentrate and has very little energy for anything. My biggest problem is that he has a fear of doctors and anyone associated with them, so the odds of him going to see anyone for help are slim to none. I'm looking for advice on how I can help to support him at home, without the help of a professional or any medications. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

2 Replies 2

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Buttercup,

I'm sorry to see that your husband is struggling with depression.  And this is having an effect on you as well.

Personally, I would speak to your GP and see what suggestions they have.  This is really difficult as he has a fear of doctors.

But sounds like he is suffering depression and he really needs help with medication and counselling.  

I have been suffering depression for the past 3 yrs and looking back now I don't think I would be where I am now without my medication.  It helps me stabilise my moods, my depression and keeps it at one level (if that makes sense).

I'm not giving much advice but I feel for both of you and just hope that maybe you can convince your husband to seek help.  I just think trying to do this from help without the support of meds or counsellors would be very difficult for both of you.

I'm sorry I hope I have helped a little.

Good luck, let me know how things go.

Jo

Buttercup
Community Member

Thanks Jo, 

unfortunately, doctors and medications are simply not a choice he'll make, and he knows how much i want him to seek help.

Just going to have to see how we can cope as best we can on our own

Kristy