FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety/depression unable to find an end of the cloud

jennyr
Community Member
My mother has had anxiety/depression for 2 years now and still no light at the end of the tunnel. Mum sits in her chair and unable to see a way to motivate herself  and believe that the nausea is a major symptom of her anxiety/depression. Mum is been in numerous hospitals to find out what can be causing the nausea but the doctors are coming back saying that the anxiety is a major contributor. Mum did have a stroke 4 years ago and this is when the anxiety was mild which they believe was caused from the stroke. But for the past 2 years other medical issues have happening which has resulted in the nausea/anxiety/depression to increase. Mum is seeing a psychologist but I find it hard to understand how mum isn't pushing herself more as per doctors instructions when this could improve her condition. Does anyone have suggestions on how to motivate someone to at least try? Mum is getting home care to help my father at this time as he is the primary carer. Mum relies so much on Dad and it is taking it out of him at the moment. Mum was improving last December but she had to get a pace make inserted and  after this she went backward again. Hopefully this new antidepressant medication might start working for her and then mentally she might be able to cope better with this. At present the new medication that she is on isn't providing any help for her.
1 Reply 1

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello jennyr, while it is true to a certain extent that we have to want to get better when depressed or anxious, depression attacks the very thing in our brain that actually makes us want to do that in the first place: our thoughts. Common things that go through your head when very depressed are thoughts like 'what's the point'. This is an extremely hard cycle to break. It's been said on here before by others, and I agree from my own experience, if we were able to flip a switch and get better we would all love to, but it isn't that simple. It sounds like your mother has significant physical health issues too which will be a burden.

It does take a toll on families though so it is good news that your father has some home help. What about you? Are you getting any support for yourself?