FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

6 Things I wish I knew before dating someone with anxiety and PTSD

RandR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi there,

My name is Raman and I recently joined bluevoices and this will be my first thread on something I recently endured and learnt. I'm 32 years of age, a former sufferer of depression for around 12 years and was recently in a relationship with an amazing woman who suffered major anxiety and PTSD. Her past was not a pretty one, at all. However she as a bright as the sun and covered up her scars well. Over the 3 months we were together I can say that this was by far the most challenging relationship I had ever been in.

I feel I am not the only one out there who has dated someone with anxiety/PTSD so I hope that message and honest advice cn help anyone else out there who has met similar circumstances.

1) Don't take things personal - Over time I learnt not to look through my eyes, but hers. It the early stages I always thought 'she doesn't like me' or 'what did I do to make her upset?' The reality was her reactions were not a reflection of me, but of her past and what she had endured.

2) Let them come to you - I have typically been the type of man to take charge and plan things. I also have no issues being affectionate and displaying that, however, dating someone with PTSD you have to be mindful of this and take the back seat. When they are ready, they will come to you.

3) Give space - This was very difficult at the start. When you meet and start dating someone you like, the natural progression is to spend more
time together and see each other often. This wasn't the case with her and our relationship. They can get a feeling of being very overwhelmed and I picked up on this and had to learn to give space and take things slower than normal.

4) Research - My ex had endured being raped at a very young age by a group of older men. Horrible beyond imagination. I took the time to do a
lot of research on rape and the side effects it can have on people. She knew I did a lot of researched and smiled when she first found out and thanked me.

5) Hot & Cold - One moment she was holding my arm tightly and smiling, the next she distanced herself and went quiet. Respect that this will happen and it's when your partner goes cold, you need respect that and not take it personal and give space without them making them feel bad.

6) Don't dig for the past - When I asked her, eye contact gone! We all have a past. Not everyone might be as open as you in sharing it.

I hope this helps you and thank you for reading.

Regards,

Raman.

21 Replies 21

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Raman

A remarkable informative post. You took the time to let all our readers know what its like to partner a sufferer and how to tackle the possible ossues that arise.

Thankyou

Tony WK

RandR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thank you Tony.

Thanks for taking the time to read it and for the kind comments.

Regards,

Raman.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi RandR

Welcome to the forums

I agree with TonyWK about what a great thread topic/post you have made that will help so many readers and posters on the forums

I really hope you can stick around the forums RandR. You have not only had the experience with depression but you also have a sense of clarity and understanding with this illness as well.

What an inspirational thread!

my kind thoughts

Paul

RandR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thanks for the kind words Paul.

Much appreciated.

Raman.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Raman~

As a person that has suffered from PTSD I think everything you have said is spot-on. It is a pretty good summary of many of the things my wife had to go through while attempting to look after me. (She also had work, housework, looking after our child and more)

There's only a couple of things I'd like to add, if I may. (Though the actual number of symptoms can be much larger).

Firstly that a person with PTSD can be -at times - so disconnected from him/her self that they do not know how they feel, if they love, if they can. Fortunately or me this period was not overlong, though it came and went.

The second thing - and anybody reading your post will already have realized this - is that the carer has to have not only the strength to keep going long-term but also the faith in his/her self to overcome the impulse to self-blame and feel they are contribution to their partners ups and downs.

There is a reward at the end. As time went on I came to see my wife and was able more and more to offer back the love and care she had given me so freely.

Thank you for your post.

Croix

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Thankyou Raman

your heart is a caring one to have posted the help you have today

(70% of the hits to the beyond Blue Forums are 'read only' which is fine) You have helped more people than you know Raman

Just to let you know I had chronic anxiety from 1983 to 1996 followed by depression for the next 21 years and know have quality of life back again (90% of it) through a great support network

Thanks to your heartfelt post our readers and posters will have greater hope Raman

I admire your strength and humility

my best

Paul

Guest_9809
Community Member

Hi Raman. I just wanted to thank you for your very kind and informative post about things to be aware of when dating someone who has experienced rape and who suffers ongoing anxiety and PTSD.

I am one of those people! And I really appreciate that there are people out there like you who care, and who can see past the symptoms and low points of those of us who endure the debilitating symptoms that come with PTSD as a result of rape.

It is common for survivors of sexual violence to experience many confusing feelings which create anxiety, anger, distrust and the feeling that they are not safe. Everyone's response to trauma is a little different, however I think that the overriding thing partners need to do, is to learn to be patient with them. The 6 points you mentioned in your opening post, all allude to the need for patience. All very true, in my own personal experience.

Raman, I commend you on your kind understanding and obvious patience during what would have been an emotionally difficult time for you. Its nice to see that there are still some good men out there! Well done you.

T xx

RandR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thanks for sharing your story and I'm glad to hear things got better over time. Thank you for your response Croix

RandR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response and I'm so glad to hear you had a support network. Something I didn't have a lot of at the time.

thanks again.