FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How to stop thoughts

Lillifee
Community Member

We've got a chronically ill daughter. The situation has taken a huge toll on our family life as well as on my mental health. I had an episode where I was contemplating ending my life in that moment, that thought is there again. I feel like I'm losing my mind... It's like a voice in the back of my head.

How do I shut it up? 

-I'm seeing a therapist and started medication a week ago.

2 Replies 2

ChildHeart
Community Member

Hi Lillifee,

I am sorry to hear about your daughter. That must be extremely difficult to deal with and is understandable for it to have an effect on your emotional and mental health. 

I’m not going to be straight with you here and say that you are talking to somebody who is also going through those thoughts and moments currently, so this isn’t coming from

somebody who has it all together atm but I would like to offer my thoughts and advice if I may?

Its hard when those thoughts pop into your head. You may be forced to listen to them, but you don’t have to accept them or act on them. Trust me, I’m struggling with this in the past couple of days, but I’m still here and I’m talking to you. Usually I try to distract myself first by doing something I enjoy or trying to put my focus elsewhere. If that doesn’t work, then I try to question the thoughts as if you were having a debate with somebody. Choose a thought you’ve had recently and imagine yourself now saying back “oh, yeah? Says who?” Or “why should I?” Or even better if you can to say “I choose not to listen to you”. I know it’s hard to fight back and trust me like I said, I’m still struggling with the fight but you have to try. If not for you then for your families sake. I’m glad you are receiving professional assistance at this time. 

please stay safe. 

Dear ChildHeart, 

Thank you. It's so bizarre that those thoughts are so invasive. You're right, we don't have to act on them!! I pray we never will... 🌻