FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Facebook...The Good or the Bad...Your Say!

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody

Without a doubt Facebook is one of the best social media sites. I have been on FB for a long time and found it invaluable yet very stressful at times whilst having anxiety and/or depression or even just checking it every day.

Your views on FB, its impact on your mental health, well being, whether good or not so good are more than welcome.

Thankyou for reading my thread topic!

my kind thoughts

Paul

332 Replies 332

Guest_1584
Community Member

Well , so far so good had nothing weird come into my email so far , after closing the old account that guy somehow took over.

thats great randomx

Hi Everyone! thankyou for being a part of the discussion...especially in these difficult circumstances

Hey 2quik.....hope you are doing reasonably okay.....my kindest thoughts and here for you...

Hey Nico B....Thankyou for your balanced and valued input...Its always a bonus to have a 'fresh set of eyes' on the forums...no matter what the thread topic

Nico B mentioned 'I find that if I mindlessly scroll through my feed or get in a 'social media hole', it's detrimental to my productivity and mental health' and also 'it's very useful if used wisely and in moderation, but it can be toxic if unconsciously overused'

Hey Emmen....Thankyou for the super helpful post...Like I posted to Nico B...Its always a bonus to have a fresh set of eyes on the forums!

Emmen mentioned 'We've all probably got "friends" who're posting things that don't necessarily make us feel good about ourselves'....I hear you loud and clear Emmen....Appreciate your care and wise contribution!

my kind thoughts and appreciation

Paul

I have read a lot of these threads and yes I totally agree that social media used in the wrong context can have a negative impact on our lives,

my biggest fear is we can live off the crap and next thing you know we believe these lies and we can be addicted to social media as well in a negative way. This can be really bad for our own well being

But there is a balance and we can use it in a positive esp while we are at home isolated.

personaly, i get addicted to social media very easily

I joined again briefly over this time and just closed it. I was checking it straight away as I got home, to see if there were new messages etc.
I felt sick.
I think the addictive element is too much for me, and holds me back in recovery

I also did quite a lot of stalking about exes etc, all of this in just 3 days that I rejoined!!!

I can't believe the way I got completely sucked in.

I do think I have to be honest with myself that I can't handle social media.

I also get triggered very much in terms of worrying what people see on my page, and what they think about what I write... It gets me into the "I'm not good enough" headspace, doubting myself very strongly.

I have posted here a few times always with a positive experience of FB.

I had an experience yesterday that is not worrying but it did make me feel comfortable.

You know those challenges people do and then they nominate another person except no one asked me. No big deal bit I never repost and I don't do challenges.

So I said something small and I know people do these challenges all the time.

Mostly I am fine with FB but I understand how everyone is different and people often get upset over things that others can cope with.

Hi Quirky,

It's okay that you said something... i think people can feel a bit excluded on facebook, where everything is so public. I'm glad it generally is a good space for you.

I find facebook very difficult.I think i see things there, like I tune in to the bad things> i can't control what i see and seem to go straight for bad things.

I think everyone has different experiences there

Hi Everyone and thankyou for being a part of the discussion too!

Hey Blufftuff.....thankyou for the great post and mentioning that 'finding a balance' between social media and reality. You mentioned "my biggest fear is we can live off the crap and next thing you know we believe these lies" I understand and respect your point of view as the level of 'misinformation' can interfere with our health

Hey Sleepy21...always a bonus to have your input and thankyou! You mentioned "I was checking it straight away as I got home, to see if there were new messages etc" I also found myself in the same place...coming home from work and checking on my 'friends' status and if there were any new messages....Its probably my own anxiety issues yet I found myself more relaxed when I deleted my account 10 years ago..Like yourself I understand that other people find some benefit in using FB

Hey Quirky....Thankyou for your ongoing contribution re the good that FB provides as there are many millions of people globally that feel the same as you do. I agree if people have their privacy controls enabled it can be a helpful social media platform to be on for sure!

Stay well everyone

Paul

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your response. I'm happy that you were able to quit and stay off that for ten years.

That little red indicator that I had a new message would always get my attention...I've found that without facebook I can still have online conversations (where having one here!) - or through imessage or email but can avoid the addicitive and stressful element of social media.