FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Dear Diary, a day to day look at self isolation

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi

I have gone into self isolation . I will be alone and not seeing any friends or family.

I know we have other threads, but I would really like people to share their day to day thoughts and activities:

the highlights

the fun things

the frustrations

he things you can change

I think each day it would be good to share On thing that surprised me to day.

I would like you to share your ideas because it will help us all work out how.

So here is my first entry bit will be back later.

Dear Diary,

Day 1

I am not sure whether I am excited or a bit unsure.

I know I will need to distract myself and hide the chocolate biscuits.!!

I have a list of what I want to do but I think it is too ambitious.

One thing that surprised me was how much noise I like to have when alone. This may change.

Quirky

112 Replies 112

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear diary

Highlights this is hard as I reflect on the past few days .I am able to walk outside and admire lovely trees.

Frustrations: Now I have time to do things I lack energy and motivation

Fun I laughed at a parody of the model of a modern major general from the Pirates of Penzance

One thing I can change I can be more patient and listen more and not get angry without thinking

Something that surprised me I am so surprised that I lose track of time now I no longer have any structure or routine.

Eight and Pper thanks for sharing your days with us. I learn ideas form reading other posts.

Gambit87
Community Member

Hi Everyone!

I hope you all are doing ok

Highlights - My morning coffee and my lunch run haha

Frustrations: Feeling like I have to be productive since im no longer getting out and about. I need to remember that its ok to sit down to watch a movie etc. I'm also missing my weekly poker games and my TKD classes

Fun - watching brooklyn 99 with my partner

One thing I can change - Being more open minded about working from home.

Something that surprised me - I wasnt really surprised today.

Soberlicious96
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Diary,

Highlights: grateful for my job & technology, so I can keep in touch with friends/family during physical/social distancing

frustration: Really missing my partner, and just going shopping! Just love browsing around at the shops, and REALLY MISS the cuddles and affection of my partner. We don't live together so even if we do see each other we are still supposed to maintain the social distance thing ..... and that bit sucks. We live 100 kms apart, so I don't want to drive all the way there, or have him come here but then have to stand 2 metres apart form each other. That just seems cruel.

Fun: I have been reminded of my love of creative outlets. I’ve made up a little booklet of a collection of spoonerisms. I’ve also done a little painting.

Things I can change: I can chew on gum instead of eating 'comfort food'. I also have fruit to snack on, instead of binging on icecream and cake and chocolate and fried food, like I did years ago, and was 24 kilos heavier that what I am now.

One thing that surprised me: that attending online support groups is actually really okay because I can be in my PJ pants and moccasins and nobody knows cos they only see my head and shoulders!!!! .... well, except that now you lot know about my PJ pants ... but anyway, surprisingly, I don't care!

Anyway, that's me. Take care everyone. And remember: This Too Shall Pass. Remember to have H.O.P.E. because that stands for Hold On Pain Ends!

(((hugs))) from a safe distance! xo

Soberlicious thanks for your diary entry. I admire that yo can avoid comfort foods. I try but my TimTam intake has been increasing as well as my fruit intake and my food intake generally.

I have trouble doining online group things that ino;ve people seeing me!!

Gambit thanks for your diary entry.

relate to that What have you done today, and I haven't written a book or rearranged my hoiuse people want to know what I have done.

Hello Everyone,

Today...

Highlights: My sister rang to say she loved the surprise gift I had delivered directly to her.

Frustrations: my lack of motivation

Fun: I made my regular phone call to a very elderly relative & had a lovely chat with quite a few chuckles.

One thing that surprised me: I needed scripts written & rang the Dr's.... I was put straight through to the Dr.... he did the scripts while I was on the phone.... I can pick them up when they open tomorrow. No Fuss! No difficulties!

Paws

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Quirky & all the lovely people here,

Quirky & Eight: Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. It’s good to read your comments 🙂

Today:

Highlights: I’m grateful for my friends that I keep in touch with via FaceTime 🙂

It allows up to 32 participants at any one time, which is very handy for FaceTime celebrations, parties, dinners, group chats, etc 🙂

Frustrations: some of my family members who don’t seem to understand the seriousness of the situation, especially when they are in high risk groups for covid-19.

Fun: FaceTime conversations

Things that I can change: still not sure...

One thing that surprised me: the emotional roller coaster related to covid-19. I feel up, down, everywhere...

But I suppose, as this situation is unprecedented, it makes sense that my emotions are also a little unpredictable too...and that’s okay...I accept the emotional ride as best I can...

kindness and care,

Pepper

paw and pepper thanks for your entries.

highlight I managed to post a birthday card on time..

frustrations. I did zoom for frist time on phone and it was difficult to hear and follow. I felt old.

fun I watched a funny clip abot how people send self isolation

things I can change. this is a work in progress as I try to turn my negative thought into positive ones.

One thing that surprised me. I find I have no sense of time.

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Quirky & all:

Sorry, I’m in a bad mood today, but I appreciate this space to unload a little...

highlights: I’m grateful to have a job

frustrations: being stuck at home. Yes, I’m definitely following social distancing & I understand it’s importance (believe me I do- my work helps immunosuppressed clients). But that doesn’t mean I find it pleasant. A friend is also sick.

fun: ?

things I can change: I can’t change what I want to change

One thing that surprised me: little surprises me much at the moment.

Thanks for reading and letting me vent.

Kindness and care,

Pepper

Pepper, I thought your diary entry was honest and did not show you in a bad mood.

These are difficult times.

Highlights I cooked a cultural recipe that I had not for ages.

Frustration I seem so tired and don't know why

Fun thinking of indoor olympics we can make up

things I can change I am running out of things I feel are in my control as most important things are beyond my control

one thing that surprised me: how bad times bring out the best and worst in everyone.

What has your day been like?

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Quirky & all,

Quirky: thanks so much for the encouraging words. I appreciate your validation & support very much 🙂

I hope the dish turned out well, & I agree about how difficult times brings out such a huge range of behaviours & reactions from people. As you said, it brings out the best & worst in people.

Highlights: My FaceTime chats this weekend. It was so nice to catch up 🙂 I also enjoyed making art & yoga.

Frustrations: the usual (laughs)...feeling the cabin fever/stir crazy feeling. But yes, I know we need to stay home as much as we can, & yes, I am following that advice.

Fun: It was really good to be able to see friends & family’s faces through FaceTime. I’m not much for phone calls because of the lack of visual cues, but I love video based chatting 🙂

Things I can change: I’m trying to practice patience (it’s hard!) during the pandemic. Also, I’m learning stillness...I find yoga helps with that.

One thing that surprised me: ?

Thanks for reading 🙂

Pepper