FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Logistics of Divorcing and Moving Interstate

TwistedSista
Community Member

My husband and I have been married 25 years and have two young adult children.  We have decided to separate and currently have our home on the market.  I have been considering moving from Coffs Harbour to the Brisbane area as the housing seems more affordable, and I know I can earn more in the Brisbane area Temping (admin).  However, I'm not quite sure how this will pan out.  How can I move interstate if I don't have a home to move to, or a job to secure that home. Once the house settles I'll have a nice amount to use as a bargaining chip (e.g., 3mths rent up front, as I don't have a rental history or a local job), but that leaves a lot of "balls in the air".  Has anyone else done something similar? How did you plan for success??

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Some might have other ideas to mine. In the past we've had a caravan and stayed in caravan parks until we found accommodation. 

My suggestion is not to race the draught horse. Meaning wait until the house is sold and you have the money in the bank. In the meantime you could- look for a caravan if towing isnt hard for you. Ring around outskirts of Brisbane for caravan parks to seek out cabin costs or on site caravans. Storage is easy, just find a place for your "stuff". 

If you end up renting your caravan could be used for accommodation in the back yard for a student or single mum. For this reason make sure the van has an ensuite. I recommend Jurgens vans, lightweight, strong etc. Google Jurgens Sungazer. Most midsized cars can tow them. 

TonyWK

Thanks for your insight Tony.  Cabin parks are a possibility, however, i have 3 cats which will make things difficult.  Also I don't have the vehicle to tow a van. However, it's definitely something to consider. Thanks again!