FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Announcement Icon
You can win one of three $200 gift cards. Complete our survey by 5pm, 30 June 2024 AEST to enter the draw. Your response will be anonymous so you can't be identified.

Gambling loop

Rgreen
Community Member
For the most part I hold myself together. Divorced, two teenage kids, all is well. But I can't defeat the secret gambling that seems to break apart any good I do for myself mentally. Why do I need to break it? I have the money, and I throw it away, and I feel ridiculous. If I just saved half my money, I would be fine! So I know I have a problem! Tried talking to someone, helped for a bit, but I am tearing what little sane self I have apart.
1 Reply 1

MarkJT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Rgreen, welcome to the forums and great to have you here. You are in a very protective and supportive environment that will never judge you so again, well done for reaching out for some answers.

Although I have never had a gambling problem, I am really happy to hear what you have said in that you recognise there is an issue there and want to do something about it. That is highly encouraging.

When i was really struggling with life a few years back after a PTSD, depression and anxiety diagnoses, I used to break down the days. Some days i would just tell myself to get through the next 5 mins, then 10 mins then an hour, then a day etc.

During these periods of time when i was feeling particularly bad, i would just want to feed on bad food and drink lots of coke but i was also running a lot and was conscious of diet being important so I would tell myself just to have a drink of water and the urge will pass, which it did.

The message here is that if you feel like having a punt, just put it off for 10 mins, then 20 mins and you can extend that as your want to gamble weakens.

You can also open up a bank account and with the money that you were going to gamble, however much that is, put that into the account. Set a goal to reach, i.e. when i get to "x" amount, you will reward yourself with a trip or a purchase of something that is significant.

Have you ever spoken to someone from the Gamblers Help Line on 1800 858 858? Maybe worth a shot - they are a service that was set up to assist those in need.

Keep posting as I am interested to see how you are going with this and again, well done for reaching out.

Cheers

Mark.