FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Cheeky ways to use the need to put everyone else first to be nicer to yourself

Trying_to_fail_better
Community Member

Hi all,

I wanted to start this discussion as a space to share some sneaky ways to trick your brain into being nicer to yourself by realising you're being mean to other people. Ideally you'll get to a point where doing it for you is enough, but I had a few 'A-Ha' moments that helped me be kinder to myself using my care for others as the motivation that I wouldn't have got to this point without!

For example, I used to have really insecure thoughts and worries along the lines of: what is my partner actually thinks I'm annoying? What if my friends think I'm weird? What if they're only pretending to be nice about me? 

Then I read about someone who told some of their insecure thoughts to their partner (including what they imagined their partner was thinking and feeling when they weren't around) and their partner said something about it making them sad that they thought they were the kind of person who'd be that mean. That REALLY woke me up more than trying to tell myself 'you're not annoying/weird' or build my self-worth when I didn't know how. It felt pretty harsh initially, but I was able to quiet a lot of those insecurities by essentially thinking back 'don't you talk about my friend that way! They're always honest with me and our open communication is one of the best parts of our relationship!'

It also helped me to set clearer boundaries and get more comfortable saying no when it was pointed out to me that insisting I had to help loved ones or everything would go wrong was also implying that they weren't strong enough to do the thing on their own or handle rejection. I was taking on much more of an emotional load than I should've been in my family and played peacemaker for years despite it being awful for my health, but I didn't stop until I realised I was robbing them of the chance to learn how to handle conflict themselves/implying I didn't believe they could! Suddenly 'needing' to help no matter what was a bit condescending, something I could push back against the second it affected other people.

Again, ideally everyone will get to a point where helping yourself is enough, but I was very lucky to eventually get the professional help I had building self-compassion and the sad fact is there isn't enough support for everyone who needs it. I'm really curious to know if anyone else has had a similar experience/finds this helpful? 

2 Replies 2

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Trying_to_Fail_Better~

I've read your other post at

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/graduate-teacher-terrified-and-doing-it-anyway/td-p...

and really admire the way you have overcome all sorts of adversities. Here you are explaining something most important. You capture it by saying my own beliefs about what others may think of me are probably not doing them justice. And being fair to them is important. I think that partner was spot on saying "you are assuming I'm an unkinder person than I really am if you believe I'm capable of thinking those bad thoughts about you".

The other side too, trying too much to help others might seen fine in the short term , but does say by action that they are incapable for fending for themselves. Many parents tend to fall into this trap and protect  kids more than is necessary for their welfare and as a result so they do not grow and become more self reliant.

It's a good way of looking at things. I hope it helps you break a habit of always being the 'fixer'

Thanks for the thoughts

Croix

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks for your insights into your behaviour trying to fail better.