Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

kanga_brumby Family issues
  • replies: 2

rt. To the point where I am now totally alone. In the last two years Not once have they contacted me. Unless I contacted them. Even then they cut it very short. Saying they were to busy to talk with me. I am in a nursing home and cannot walk very far... View more

rt. To the point where I am now totally alone. In the last two years Not once have they contacted me. Unless I contacted them. Even then they cut it very short. Saying they were to busy to talk with me. I am in a nursing home and cannot walk very far. The activities have no interest for me. No one visits me at all I just sit in my room alone with my computer and television carving human contact. Yet staff are to busy to sit and chat. My physical health Is now on the decline My mental health is fast going out the door. Almost daily I wish it was over. The only thug stopping me is my two Children I want to be around for their 21firsts. I have just got NDIS funding a few months back. I have organized OT assessments For aids and Equipment invoices have gone in. I have been quietly chasing the NDIS to get things moving Yet all I get in response is where are the invoices where did you send them. I get no visitors I can visit no one. I am trying to get back to church but cannot because I cannot walk from the car park to the Church. and I have ne wheel chair. I have begged and pleaded for 4 years now. on my Knees. and I still have to wait. I need people in front of me talking English to me to feel better. A mobility scooter to get out and do stuff. Can some one suggest some thing PLEASE. Kanga

GemAndLogan Fifo partner- changing negative thought patterns
  • replies: 6

Hey everyone, My partner was working FIFO last year and it was really tough. He recently had a 3 month break from FIFO and has been working locally and its been amazing having him home all the time. However it was only while waiting for a new contrac... View more

Hey everyone, My partner was working FIFO last year and it was really tough. He recently had a 3 month break from FIFO and has been working locally and its been amazing having him home all the time. However it was only while waiting for a new contract, he now has a start date in a few weeks and I am devastated. I always knew he would be taking another FIFO job as it is a great opportunity and beneficial for both of us long term but I think I was in denial about him leaving. Now I'm terrified about him being gone for 3 weeks at a time, whether I will cope and how hard I know its going to be. I'm struggling to support him or focus on why we make this sacrifice because the negative side is all I can think about. Its really overwhelming me. How can I change my mindset and thought pattern to focus on the positive? How do I stop myself being hounded by all these negative thoughts? Any advice would be wonderful Thank you all : )

ForeverForager Combating feelings of anxiety with a depressed partner
  • replies: 1

Hi there, first-time poster so I'm not sure if I'm gonna go well but here goes. I'm currently in a long term relationship with my beautiful partner and I absolutely love her to bits. She's amazing in every way shape and form and I'm the luckiest man ... View more

Hi there, first-time poster so I'm not sure if I'm gonna go well but here goes. I'm currently in a long term relationship with my beautiful partner and I absolutely love her to bits. She's amazing in every way shape and form and I'm the luckiest man alive to be with her. She's been my light in the dark times and never fails to make me laugh. The only thing is...she's been struggling lately. Things have been harsh for her and I can only imagine the levels of pain she must be going through. It's on and off as everyone would think, but over the time I've known her this has definitely been the worst it's ever been. It makes me feel sad to see her this way, but I never fail to remember who she really is. Unfortunately, sometimes I realise that I'm falling a little. There's allot of pressure on me to take care every time things get bad and sometimes I wonder if I'm truly doing the right things. I've struggled with anxiety for a long time now, but through my partner I've found the strength to push through and do what's best for the both of us. I know that things will get better and there's always a sunlight, but I find myself panicking often on the bad days. I find myself thinking the worst at work when I don't get a reply or staying awake at night watching over her when I feel like something might go wrong. I have to trust in her that it won't, but it can get severely difficult to escape my own thoughts. I don't want to smother her, but I don't want to leave her alone either. She's current;y seeing someone weekly for help but I panic wondering if I'm doing the right thing. It can be difficult sometimes to need and want to protect someone from themselves when you always worry you're going to say the wrong thing. It's really difficult to put my feelings into words because there's just so much that I feel. I love her so much and want to be by her side through these dark times, and feel that I wish I could help in other ways. I just, sometimes feel like I'm slipping and falling sometimes. Struggling with horrid thoughts and anxieties makes it difficult to support. Don't we all just wish there was a magical cure? I don't really know what I'm looking for. I just...sat down and wrote what was on my mind. Maybe I'm just looking for some kind of encouragement? I'm safe and of stable mind I feel. So I know I'm not in any danger. But the wolves of the mind get us all sometimes. Thanks for ya time and I hope everyone is feeling safe and having a good day! Love ya

Peart No support from loved one

Hi, I have posted in this forum before about my situation and I did feel a lot better getting support from this forum. Thank you all so much. However, I am here again because, I guess I've become hopeless. I can feel the depression is creeping back i... View more

Hi, I have posted in this forum before about my situation and I did feel a lot better getting support from this forum. Thank you all so much. However, I am here again because, I guess I've become hopeless. I can feel the depression is creeping back into my life, especially when it's really hard for me to find a job and juggling 2 casual jobs to make ends meet at the moment. I find a lot of things in my life upsetting and discouraging. I moved to a new city with my partner because he got a job. While he's blossoming in the new city, with new and old friends at the same time, with a good job, I'm stuck with 2 crappy jobs and housework. I feel unappreciated most of the time and I have expressed it to my partner. He does apologise but always forgets about it afterwards. I guess it's also because he has a lot on his plate. His job is, however, very demanding and stressful. So one time, I got very frustrated about my job situation and what's happening around me. I seek for support from my partner. I have no social life, no friends except for 2 friends who are living overseas. My partner's my source of human interaction and intimacy. I do love him very much. I decided that I should reach out to him about how I felt and cried to him that I was depressed. And he told me to go get help. This happened a while ago but I just can't get over it. I know it came from a good place as he's aware that I'm clinically depressed. It still hurts because I didn't get the reaction I was hoping for. I was hoping that he could hug me and wipe my tears and say that things will be ok. It's a cliche to say but when it comes from your loved one it feels a lot more assuring and comforting, but he didn't do that. I feel strongly criticised and that makes me feel ashamed of myself. I can't bring myself to tell him how I feel or what I think anymore. When I confronted him about his reaction, he said it'd be better if I sought professional help, and that he couldn't help that much. Am I over my head or is this a very bad reaction to my condition?

mermaidheart Feeling like a door mat.
  • replies: 1

Over the past few years My Partner has done some pretty hurtful things that I just can't seem to move past. I've previously been in a very DV/controlling relationship and I worry that this impacts on how I react to things, becoming a 'doormat so to s... View more

Over the past few years My Partner has done some pretty hurtful things that I just can't seem to move past. I've previously been in a very DV/controlling relationship and I worry that this impacts on how I react to things, becoming a 'doormat so to speak. A few years ago my Partner proposed on my Birthday and within minutes then turned around and said it was a joke, do you think I'd really get you a basic ring like that, do you think Id not make it a bigger deal etc basically tried to Turn the Proposal into a prank. He then broke down appologising saying his anxiety got to him and he didnt know what to do so he made up the whole Joke thing to try relieve his anxiety. I was heartbroken, distraught and angry. And to this day I remember the 'Proposal' as this horrible event and every birthday I remember it too. I feel like that once In a lifetime moment was ruined by him. A moment that I'll never get back. I don't know how to move on, or If I should move on? Is it forgivable? Or will it just always hurt.

bigbipolarbear bipolar and family's perspective

i have been hospitalised and just came back home from having been confirmed diagnosed with bipolar disorder. my parents are ashamed and embarassed. anyone else have this condition? i am learning it is not just me and i am not alone in this. recently ... View more

i have been hospitalised and just came back home from having been confirmed diagnosed with bipolar disorder. my parents are ashamed and embarassed. anyone else have this condition? i am learning it is not just me and i am not alone in this. recently kanye west talks about his bipolar. is anyone else's parents have that stigma? if so what do you do about it? any comments or suggestions is appreciated, thanks and peace out.

Tukimum Child with autism

Any parents out there suffering depression after a child has been diagnosed with autism/developmental delay?

Any parents out there suffering depression after a child has been diagnosed with autism/developmental delay?

Guest_342 Grieving what could have been
  • replies: 7

Hello everyone. About a year ago my nephew was born - we received a beautiful message and photo from my sibling announcing the news that he had arrived safely and his name. I imagined what fun things that my nephew and I would get up to as his person... View more

Hello everyone. About a year ago my nephew was born - we received a beautiful message and photo from my sibling announcing the news that he had arrived safely and his name. I imagined what fun things that my nephew and I would get up to as his personality developed. He was the most beautiful thing I’d seen in my life. But, despite looking so normal, it was discovered he had a severe condition due to a genetic mutation and he will never even hold his head up independently. At nearly 1 year old, we are yet to see him make eye contact or smile. We all love him regardless and are doing our best to support his mum and dad, who are doing an amazing job. But I feel traumatised by what has happened and I’m in a work place where everyone seems to be having babies and talking about their kids. I want to feel happy for them but often cannot help but feel resentful. Looking at that first baby photo that was filled with so much hope for the future, I feel like I’ve been in mourning for the past year for something I never had and the thought that he’ll never e.g. experience things such as having friends or playing sport. I’m also grieving the fact that my sibling won’t get to enjoy the usual things parents enjoy with their kids as they grow. I often still feel teary for my family’s situation and find myself ruminating. But I have little support, as my grief is somewhat disenfranchised I think due to not being the parent or grandprent in this scenario. My partner offers very little support and no one asks me how I am. How can I move on from this grief while my family is still experiencing this difficult situation?

SoccerStar0421 Anger issues im struggling to deal with

Im all of a sudden feeling snappy and angry at anything and everyone. I have no idea what has started this ongoing anger or if its always been there but its only now that its finally gotten so bad. Someone please help

Im all of a sudden feeling snappy and angry at anything and everyone. I have no idea what has started this ongoing anger or if its always been there but its only now that its finally gotten so bad. Someone please help

Caravan So lonely i feel ill
  • replies: 32

Just hoping for some help i am in absolute despair. I'm completely lonely, have no family and no friends. My loneliness is literally killing me and i don't know what to do anymore. Although i tried to get out there and do things but nothing works and... View more

Just hoping for some help i am in absolute despair. I'm completely lonely, have no family and no friends. My loneliness is literally killing me and i don't know what to do anymore. Although i tried to get out there and do things but nothing works and no one to connect with. I feel like i don't exist and nobody sees me. As a 39 year old male, making friends is becoming impossible. I'm too scared to spend the rest of my life like this...