FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Why want my Psychiatrist listen to me?

Box
Community Member

I went to see my new psychiatrist yesterday to let her know I’m not doing well. I have Severe Depression/Anxiety. I have been on medication from 2005 to 2019. Ever since the Pandemic I have not had any care/worked for 4 years, just isolating in my home. It’s all messed up’ & was trying ti get back on track.

I let her know that I’m not sleeping correctly which is making me mentally/physically sick. I’m so exhausted from sleep deprivation & lying in my bed just staring at the walls to find myself a solution. She prescribed  medication for my anxiety/depression . Which is not working for me. No sleep at all’ which makes my anxiety worse. What does a person need to do to get the help I’m needed. I asked to be put back on my old regimens but she refused & didn’t listen to my concerns. At least with this I could function at my job’ sleep at least 6 hrs. & live a somewhat ok’ life.I’m so tired of not getting g the help I. Red. It’s just like a joke the way the DR. Just dangle your life with treatments that don’t work . I’m not sure what to do now 

2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Box, it is awful when something like this happens, and from previous engagements I've had with psychiatrist's is that they never listen to what we want, don't answer any questions you ask and were no help for me, that's why I visited a psychologistwho was also a GP for a long time.

I know it may be time consuming, but you are entitled to visit someone else.

I'm really sorry this has been the case for you.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Sophie_M
Hi Box,

Thank you for posting to the forum, and welcome to the family. 

We're sorry to hear you're so exhausted - and you're right, lack of sleep definitely can make you physically and mentally sick. It's a real issue that a lot of people experience and it's really detrimental to our health.

It sounds like you're not feeling heard by your health care providor/s and it's really important to point out to you that you have every right to trial a new psychiatrist if you feel your current one is not listening to you, and to get a second opinion. In fact, it's probably really important for you that you do. Also, are you currently seeing a psychologist as well to access counselling support, and/or have you talked to your GP about your concerns and what you have been going through?

It sounds as though you're feeling isolated as well - you've mentioned that you have not had any care or worked for the past 4 years, plus have isolated in your home ever since the pandemic, and this has to be playing with your mental health as well. 

You do say that you were trying to get it back on track, Box, and we hear you. It's a difficult task to motivate yourself when you're struggling this much and feeling so isolated.

Maybe try to start with re-establishing some of those efforts, and trying to ensure some fresh air, sunshine (when we have some) and starting off by trying to engage with being in public and/or social environments little by little?

The more we can establish routines and fill our days with more substance and activity (even if it's just going outside once a day for 15 minutes), it can really assist with not only our healing and mental health, but also our sleep routines... baby steps..

If at any time you'd like to talk to someone about this Box, please consider a talk with one of our counsellors to talk this (or any other matters) through, we’re on 1300 22 4636, and you can reach us online here.

Take care and we hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,

Sophie M