FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Stay at home mum struggling

Kantok
Community Member

I'm a stay at home mum living in a tiny community, my son is almost 2. I've never been quite happy here, the community is stifling,the only friendships I have are sugar coated, with no real substance. For a long time this has all been a bit too much and I feel like I'm drowning. I just want to sleep all day, even when I'm home alone with my son I would rather lay in bed than play with my beautiful boy. I snap at him a lot, and am always a grouch. I feel like a horrible mother. Sometimes I feel like crying for no reason, and this morning my partner decided he'd had enough of my distant moods and he questioned the safety of our son. 

We have a gp in our town, but the problem is i used to work there and i know everyone. I'm so stuck and I feel so alone. My partner struggles to even feel his own emotions let alone understand mine. I need help, I need reassurance. I need someone to tell me I'm going to be ok and to shake me and tell me that I'm hurting my family. Because I can't dig myself out of this dark hole.

6 Replies 6

vip
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Kantok I think you definately have post natal depression here. I was exactly the same with my son. My husband worked long hours and my friends were back at work and yes it got sooo lonely at home and i rarely played with my son. You need to see a GP immediately because you may need medication here. Dont worry if everyone knows you in that town there is patient to doctor confidentiality that they cant break here.  Once you see a gp join a playgroup or a library group mothers group and go out with your son during the day . You will find if you have more interaction with the outside world your moods will pick up honestly I feel like im speaking to myself here i was exactly in your shoes. And if need be put your son in daycare even for 1 day a week and go back to work or volunteer somewhere whatever you desire but the key is to break that isolation and get the professional help asap. Husbands dont understand at all about this my one was clueless and i went for the professional help immediately. Dont get me wrong not all husbands are the same and not all men because there are many men who have depression also. Let us know how you go take care.

Leesa
Community Member

Hi kantok. Having depression is a medical condition, just like diabetes. I would encourage you to see the GP and get a thorough blood work up. Being low in iron ( common after having a bub) can cause symptoms of depression, even if nothing else is wrong. Ask for full iron studies. and thyroid check - also commonly effected after pregnancy. Eve if you don't fully disclose why you want this. I also encourage you to call your local mental health team- 1800 011 511 if you are in NSW. Most teams are 24hrs. And they can organise a psychiatric review if required. Depression is treatable and like diabetes can be managed with medication. Your family will thank you for looking after yourself and getting help. Take care.

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear Kantok,

If you had a friend come over one morning a week to play with your kid and give you head space to lie in, take a long shower, talk about life in general whilst telling them where the nappies are and that his favourite toy accidentally got washed yesterday and is hanging on the line to dry then life would give you a breather for a sec.  My sister in law went through pretty much the same thing and it took a long time for her to realise that trying to be the perfect mother (she's Italian) was killing her.

If your husband "questioned the safety of our son" then maybe he should also be questioning his own emotional intelligence and taking some paternity leave.  Parents of a child under 2 are entitled to take up to 6 months.  You mentioned your "son is almost 2"....................a small window of opportunity if your husband is serious about his concerns.

I know what you mean about knowing everyone at the gp. But, really, so what ?   Next you'll be saying you can't shop for groceries, can't fill gas at the petrol station, can't return a DVD, can't get the letters out of the mail box.........it's pretty much the same thing.  But it's all anxiety.  And, let's face it, no one is that concerned who is at the gp, putting petrol in the car, returning "Fifty Shades of Grey" in a brown paper bag or how much mail you get - these are all things that YOU are concerned about so it's a bit of projection when you attribute the same angst to others.  Face to face contact is not face to face combat.  Might feel like that but it's just your post natal depression talking.

You're not hurting your family by experiencing these stresses.  These are great times for learning some coping mechanisms cos rearing a child can really test you and your husband.   Just tell your partner you feel like an "IKEA mum" at the moment and can he help put you back together with some understanding and less judgement ?  And think of you as Sweedish...........

Adios, David.

I love it, 'face to face contact is not face to face combat'. Thank you for your encouragement David.

Kantok
Community Member

Thank you all so much. This was the first time I was ever able to put my thoughts and emotions into words. Since writing the I plucked up the courage to tell my partner what I've been going through. We haven't spoken about it at length yet, but I can tell he's trying to understand what's going on. Im still anxious about seeing a gp, very anxious actually. I feel like a whining failure by doing so. And to be honest our gp doesn't have the best bedside manner so I've decided to look for one in the town closest to us, about an hour away. 

Today was a bad day. I spent most of it in bed asleep while my partner looked after our son all day. I feel guilty, and indulgent. But I honestly couldn't muster the strength to even mutter two words to anyone. I hope tomorrow is better and Im able to fix this soon. 

vip
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Kantok so glad you are seeing a GP soon that being in bed all day long is not good. Believe me i did it too. My poor son always said is mummy sick?  If your so worried to tell your GP how your feeling write it all down in a journal . You must open up to get better dont feel scared or ashamed we have all been there on this forum postnatal depression is sooo common. Take care and good luck