FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PETS - gotta love them! Share funny, loving stories about pets and animals.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello,

I thought I would start this thread, about our pets.

I have read in the forums a lot of us has a pet or pets of some kind.

Be it a dog, cat, bird, rabbit, guinie pig, tortoise, snake, lizard etc: they bring joy to our lives, they are there for us giving us unconditional love.

I thought a it would be nice if we could share our pets antics, or if you've seen other animals, doing things that have made you laugh.

They can be funny, loving, outrageous, anything that your pet does or does not do that puts a smile on your face and might put a smile on someone's face that is struggling.

Please keep the stories light hearted and happy,

We all love our pets, let's let others enjoy them as well..

I will go first to get it up and running.

I have two little dogs, Maltese x Yorkshire x Aussie Terriers, I have Mum (4 years old) and Daughter (2years old).

My dogs have the run of the house, my back screen door after many attempts and lots of failures I put a doggie dog into it. I love theses two they are my fur family.

My story is about another dog I had many years ago, I called him boof he was a Belgium Shepard, I was sitting at my kitchen table one day just looking out my back door (creedance). Boof was just relaxing in the shade with my young son. It was a hot day and I thought I might take my young son into the pool. I was about to go outside when all of a sudden a cat ran across our yard, well Boof just took off after the cat yep my young son took off after Boof, then Boof it looked like his brakes stopped working, he was chasing the cat then I saw him slide (son still chasing him). he couldnt stop, he slid into the swimming pool with such force he bent the tin frame nearly flat to the inside of the pool, well a waterfall began, Boof was on the other side of the pool he crashed straight through it, my son ended up slipping on the water skidded to the other end of the pool, crashing and landing on Boofy scream of laughter was coming from my son, absolutely soaked to the skin covered in mud, Boof was trying to get up, slipping all over the place from the mud as well I think he was seeing stars from his hard hit, he couldn't get up. I couldn't stop laughing at the pair of them. They looked so funny covered in mud, the pool was later repaired. Son and dog was hosed off so it all ended well

Do you have a pet story to tell?

Kind thoughts

Grandy.

205 Replies 205

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Mary, Pamela, Bindi, Startingnew and everyone else,

I must apologise for not posting here, I've been reading and loving your stories,

Mary..I love the cats names, strange how we name our pets, I laughed when I read the story of Whisky and Monty, I could see the actions as I was reading about them.

Pamela..Your guard cat with the poor staffy, I wouldn't think he would have come back again, That would have been something quite unforgettable to see the staffs with your cat hanging on its back.

Bindi....Awe your cat sound adorable, they look so cute when there after belly rubs.m

Talking about walking animals, my two fur buddies, are impossible to take for walks, which is unfortunate because I loved walking with my other dogs,

When I put a collar on Kya.one of those really light nylon ones well she just drops her head, bottom in the air, head on the ground on the side and she won't move, it's like the collar must weigh a ton, one time I put it on her while she was in her bed and she dropped her head and stuck her head under her blanket, each time as soon as I remove the collar Kya is up and running around.

With Ebony...When I put her collar on her she stiffens up goes rigid like a statue, you can pick her up with her collar on and she still stays the same like she is still standing on the floor, once I take her collar of she looks at me then barks, then takes of and hides for the next half hour or until she feels safe.

Taken them both in the car to go to Sydney, around a 7 hour drive, they are good once the collars are on, but stopping for doggie toilet stretch legs break is hard, because they don't like the collars I have to find a secure spot to stop away from the traffic to do this, I have found three pull in spots that take me a little out of my way so they can have a stretch of there legs, drink etc.

Thank you all for your wonderful stories, Startingnew welcome to this thread, Do you have any stories of your pets you would like to share,

Anyone reading, do you have a pet story that might put a smile on someone's face. Please feel free to share, we would love to hear them.

Karen

bindi-QLD
Community Member

Hi everyone, I hope you are having nice Australia Day holiday!

One of the types of wild parrots that we feed each day are wild Rainbow Lorikeets. For anyone who has known them, they are beautiful and kind of ferocious little birds, and very playful and affectionate pets.

We were fortunate to know a newly weaned baby one, we called `li-li'. He'd had a concussion from a prang on one our windows, and I took in him while he couldn't fly. His parents eat here every day and I intended to release him back to them, which I eventually did.

Li-Li was young enough to turn into an instant pet after just a couple of feeds. He'd want affection, to sit on my finger, and he loved sitting on my partner's head. I was trying to adjust him to being in the wild, so I had a long stick that I'd use to carry him on outside, and I'd take him to different native flowers to nibble. His parents knew him and would fly up to us and call, but he took a bit to regain his flight.

One of our last memories of li-li being `ours' was him sitting on my partner's shoulder, and using his ear lobe to climb up onto his head. Li-li was soo proud he made it. Partner screeched `owww' but he let Li-li bite his ear (hard) and crawl onto his head. li-li loved my partner's head.

When he could fly, I took him outside and his parents came for him, aren't they good? One of them preened him and they were telling me off for keeping him:) Rainbow lorikeets screech and flap their wings at you when you're in trouble, I was in deep doo-doo kind of trouble. They spent a while with him, checking him all over , and flew off. And then Li-li flew off with them.

We feed around 10-20 lorikeets, the only way I know Li-li is around is he is the only one that flies up to my partner and checks out his head, like he wants to land there:) Mostly he seem really excited and happy being wild now.

Such beautiful birds, thanks for reading:)

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Awww Bindi, just love your story about Li-Li. It really hit my heart 🙂

They give so much love (as well as admonishment when 'you have done the wrong thing' LOL).

One of my fondest memories of caring for birds was a young black faced cuckoo strike (BFCS). It had come out of its nest during a cyclone. We had the pleasure of rearing it and then releasing it. It too, used to climb onto my head and pull at each hair. Because it hadn't flown before, we had to get it to try. so placed some kitchen (oven) thread around it's leg then threw it into the air - it flew (beautifully). It would come back to my shoulder and climb back onto my head. Again attacking my hair. It was a sad day when we released it.

I don't think we ever did give it a name. Probably just the acronym BFCS.

Hi Pam, Thanks so much for reading about lil-li, I'm so glad you can relate:)

Pam, I love Black faced cuckoo shrikes. When you get to know them, they are very smart and friendly aren't they? . When I first started releasing rehabilitated wild birds back into a local forest, My partner and I would do a morning walk each day, to check on them if it was possible. Some birds need a `soft release' and can use a bit of supplementary food while they adjust to being wild. So we'd bring a food mixture for them, and many would come for it.

We had two black faced cuckoo shrikes watching us do this every day, and they learned to hover over our heads, and wait for us to throw up some mixture into the air, which they would swoop and eat. I called them `little ones' and they learned to come when I called to them. One even followed us home and decided to wait there in the mornings for food, but I had to discourage him. He was safer in the forest.

Spangled drongos did the same thing in that forest, and likewise with finding our where we live 🙂

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Everyone,

I have not seen any black cockatoos in the wild as yet, but they do sound like they would be really nice to see, They seem to be quite smart and sneaky as well, I think a lot of people underestimate the intelligence of birds.

Accross from my home I have a grazing paddock which houses cows, around 100 of them, When I need relaxing I will just sit and watch their antics. The newly born calves are running around kicking up their back legs just enjoying being alive.

I used to live on 8 acres not that long ago. Being a city girl knew nothing about bore water water tanks. We leased the land out to 5 horses they were friendly and I enjoyed petting them.

On this particular day, I was going to fill the tank for the first time. I turned the pump on, then the horses walked next to the tank to get sprayed by the overspray of the water, I went inside to start dinner, after around 20 minutes or so later I heard this almighty band, and looked out the window, umm the water tank exploded, I mean really exploded sending pieces of it everywhere, it looked like a water fall in the middle of the dry grass, well chaos started in a huge way, the horses were running in every direction, absolutely soaked, just running back and forth neighing as well, they didn't know which way to go, the ground was flooded as it was a huge tank, I must admit after the shock of the explosion and the horses settled down I started giggling, at everything that happened in a short amount of time, Then I realised that we had no water into the house. The horses were given some extra treats that night. I eventually got a new water tank and the horses never went close to it again even with a lot of prodding they refused.

Karen.

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

What a beautiful story Karen.

Animals / pets are so funny aren't they. And intelligent - especially cockatoos. In one place we lived black cockies were regular visitors to the chonky apples that were out the back of our land.

Pets - My 2 have such different personalities. For instances, when they go outside we put a collar and bell on them. The youngest one know this and happily comes to get her collar. The older one get really morose and fights getting the collar on. Hate to do it to her, but I think about a little wrens and brown honeyeaters that love our trees.

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Karen

LOL!! Beautiful story about you horses and the water tank. Animals / pets have such personalities don't they. You always have such lovely stories about your pets.

Black cockies are gorgeous, we used to get them in the chonky apple bushes in the land behind our place when we lived up north. They are wonderful creature. Very noisy, very gregarious. Love them.

About animals/pets personalities - we have 2 cats. Both have to have collars and bells on before venturing outside. The youngest one hopes up on her castle waiting for us to put in on and then go outside. The older one, hates it. Makes putting it on a dreadful experience both for her and us....

bindi-QLD
Community Member

Hi Karen,

I love the sound of your old place on 8 acres. That was an inspired use of the land too, leasing it for horse ajistment. We see a lot of that kind of farming not too far from the area we live, it must be so nice seeing horses and farm animals every day. We like to drive through the country side most weekends, its so uplifting.

I nearly spit out my coffee when I read about your water tank exploding! Geez, what a disaster, I would have no idea what to do:) Its great how you can see the funny side of things, I'll bet you are a fun person to be around.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Lovely people, posting or reading.

I have 2 bird feeders out front of my home, one I have placed hanging of a branch of a crepe myrtle tree, and the other hanging from a rail on my front veranda. I get the little wrens, sparrows, galahs, cockatoos, king parrots and other different types feeding from them daily..

There's this one particular king parrot that feeds daily, I sit and watch him feed as he seems to have no fear of me..I thought that I would slowly see if I could get him to eat out of the palm of my hand, after a few days of quietly sneaking up close to him with my arm held straight out and next to the feeder he eventually came standing on the feeder to eat from my hand. I felt close to him so I named him Henry.

I would go out daily to hand feed him, this day I moved my hand further away from the feeder,mi was hoping he would perch himself on my hand and feed from there he did straight away, I felt humbled that this little bird trusted me. This was now a daily event that I looked forward to.One day I just didn't have the want to get out of bed, I heard this birds high pitched whistle constantly for about an hour, I decided to get up and have a look , Henry was waiting for his feed, well he got me up for his feed, after I fed him and he flew away I sat on the lounge on my veranda, I was sad that day constantly crying, when I saw Henry had come back, Henry flew onto the feeder and then to my amazement onto the table in front of where I was sitting then he jumped across and sat right next to me on the arm of my lounge, I just sat.There watching him when I decided to take a photo of him..

I had my phone with me so I was lining it up for a beautiful photo, I got one then I went to take another one while I was trying to get Henry into focus he flew onto the top of my phone and started playing n pulling at my hair. Henry stayed there for a minute then flew off.

Henry will never know what he done for me that day, he brought me back from such a deep dark sadness that had been with me for a few days.I thought about it days later, how a little bird gave me a few days of peace..

Henry still comes most mornings for a feed, sometimes I'll hand feed him while he sits with me on the lounge and plays with my hair. He goes away in the cooler months but comes back, this summer was the second summer I was privileged to have his company.

I justcwanted to share Henry with you.

Karen

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Karen

Beautiful story about Henry. Just love it. Thank you so much for sharing.

PamelaR