FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Let me know your favourite word

yours_truly
Community Member

Hi!!

Drop your favourite word and its definition and maybe even teach us a thing or two. 

I’ll go first!!

Alienation: The state or experience of feeling isolated or estranged 

Please be mindful that some words may be triggering or inappropriate. Other than that HAVE FUNNN :)))

20 Replies 20

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Impecunious - the state or experience of feeling isolated or estranged from cash:)

-C

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Yours_truly

I don't have a specific favourite word. Indeed what my favourite word today may be quite different tomorrow.

Just at this moment I like:

Banana, which "... is s an elongated, edible fruit – botanically a berry – produced by several kinds of large herbaceous flowering plants in the genus Musa. ..."*

* As quoted from my quick google search

Hi Croix, great word; I think many people will relate.

I love this!! I mean I know I can definitely relate

Hi mmMekitty,

I definitely love the morphology of banana!! It’s such a funky word and of course I get that favourite words change all the time. Especially when you learn a new word and it just sticks with you!

Another favourite word of mine is 'courage'.

It means to me to have the determination to go ahead & do something even while feeling fearful or anxious or embarrassed or shy or shameful or guilty or lacking confidence or skill or power or knowing it may well be dangerous, but you know you must for good reasons, put yourself forward & say or do what you need to do, despite any or all of those feelings & beliefs. It's doing it anyway.

Hugzies

mmMekitty

I also like the word 'feisty'; something I could aspire to manifest within & express when appropriate feistiness is called for.

Maybe it's a little more than 'assertiveness', while not outright aggression, however, there are circumstances where polite assertiveness won't  do.

Hugzies

mmMekitty

Triskaidekaphobia

Noun: Extreme superstition regarding the number thirteen.

Another word I like is:

"Syzygy : the nearly straight-line configuration of three celestial bodies (such as the sun, moon, and earth during a solar or lunar eclipse) in a gravitational system" [Miriam Webster dictionary]

Doesn't it look & sound pretty? 

of course the classic courage!! it’s such a over used word but it holds so much depth to it. I definitely have to appreciate the word more!! thank you for putting this up here 🙂