FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

burnt out from year 12

yindi
Community Member

hello.

i just began year 12, and i am already feeling so very burnt out! i am highly suspected to have autism (and i have diagnosed depression and anxiety), and thus i do not operate in adhesion to the structure of the education system. i am quite a good student, i get As and Bs in most classes, however i fall behind in terms of class work/homework. last year, i got adequate grades without stressing too terribly over completing all of my school work, as there wasn’t an overwhelming abundance. however, i have tried to start this year with doing all of my work ahead of time, and dedicating two days a week to complete study after school. yet, between work, school, and my struggling mental health, i have already fallen behind so much, as i have burnt myself out already. i feel so stupid and worthless. even though many of my friends share my same struggles, i particularly feel so ashamed, as i appoint a lot of my self worth to my performance in school. i really want to know how not to feel so burnt out without sacrificing my grades, as both are quite vital in ensuring i feel ok. i have stressed and cried myself into a headache just thinking about school. i truly just want to not be so invested, as whilst it is beneficial, my mental health is concurrently being jeopardised. i suppose i just wanted to get this off of my chest, i apologise if it sounds dumb or redundant. thank you 🙂 ❤️

1 Reply 1

Sophie_M

Hey Yindi,

Welcome to the Forums! Thank you for sharing your story – it does not sound ‘dumb or redundant’ at all!
It makes perfect sense that you might be feeling this way. Year 12 is a huge year with a great deal of pressure attached to it. 

When our self worth is so strongly tied to one thing, it can be really upsetting when we feel like we are not going as well as we had hoped. It can be hard to remember when Year 12 is so focused on grades, but you are worth so much more than your grades.  

It sounds like you are juggling a lot at the moment. Is there anything that you feel could be changed up to make things feel a little less intense?

During all of this, it is as important as ever to allow yourself to rest and relax, too. No one can be expected to perform at 100% all of the time.

Our lovely community members will be able to relate to some of the things you mention here and may be able to share some of the wisdoms that have helped them. We’re sure they’ll spot your thread and share their perspectives here soon. In the meantime, our friends at ReachOut have an amazing resource on coping with exam stress , with information and stories specifically related to Year 12.

We hope you know that the Beyond Blue line is here for you on 1300 22 4636 (or on webchat). 

Thanks again for sharing. We’re here to listen and offer support, and you never know how your story might help someone else feeling the same way right now 💙

Kind regards, 
Sophie M