FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Panic, Anxiety - new to this journey

SorrelTansy
Community Member

Hi everyone

last weekend, I pretty much had a breakdown after holding grief in for nearly all my life of 60years. So now I have a mental health plan, antidepressants and benzodiazepines (when needed). I know it’s a process but the inconsolable sobbing, the irrational behaviour and panic at times, is quite difficult to go through. At times I’m just so irrational that I can’t even think of all those things I’m supposed to do when it happens. I get caught up in it and then it passes. Also the tingly, electrical feeling that is chronic anxiety. Very difficult to deal with as is the breathlessness.

I know it’s a process until the medication kicks in but what can I do until then? I’m so afraid to take benzodiazepines because my Dr did warn me that it’s addictive.

i want to call beyond blue to chat but feel like a nuisance and won’t be able to stop crying

7 Replies 7

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello SorrelTansy

Welcome and thankyou for being a part of Beyond Blue too!

I not only understand but also feel your pain Sorrel. You are not alone on this 'new journey' as there are many people that suffer the same as you have been and yes it can be a dark place to be in. I am 58 and this is my 35th year with diagnosed anxiety (in recovery)

You mentioned "I get caught up in it and then it passes. Also the tingly, electrical feeling that is chronic anxiety. Very difficult to deal with as is the breathlessness" These feelings even though awful are very common with our levels of anxiety

Just some reassurance if thats okay Sorrel....I have been on meds for 22 years starting with antidepressants which were followed by a tiny dose of a popular Benzo to help me have a quality sleep. (when required)

You have done so very well by accepting treatment....it doesnt matter how many years have passed....you are proactive with your health by 'owning' this awful set of symptoms. You are strong. Your post reminded me of my history with this awful disorder

You asked what do you do until the meds kick in......Can I ask if you have a GP that you can have a 'vent'...talk too? as this is invaluable with what we have gone through. Even a double appointment can work wonders....many people feel so much 'lighter' after seeing their GP. Just fyi I still see my GP every weeks for a 'tune up' if my anxiety decides to 'kick in' again....(for the last 22 years)

I really hope you can continue to be a part of the forum family Sorrel. The forums are a safe and non judgemental place for you to post or ask any questions that you have 🙂

please be gentle with yourself.....you are not alone on the forums

my kindest

Paul

baet123
Community Member

Hey SorrelTansy,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue family. Its great to have you apart of this wonderful, caring and supportive community!

Similarly to Paul, I too can understand and relate to much of what you are going through. Paul has made great points above and I will try and not repeat anything he has posted above 🙂

It is super encouraging that you are able to recognise that you needed professional intervention and that you acted immediately. Many people will often breakdown and not receive any immediate assistance. The fact that you went to your GP, received a mental health care plan and are on medication is amazing and you should be proud of yourself. I can tell that you are a loving, caring, thoughtful and intelligent strong person and these are amazing qualities you possess.

You are right when you mention that it is a process, however, nothing worth doing is ever easy and you are most certainly heading in the right direction.

Your medication and psychologist treatment should greatly assist you with your physical symptoms as a result of your anxiety and current emotional well-being. Medication usually takes a few weeks until you start seeing its effects so until then it is important to sleep well, exercise as much as possible and enjoy a balanced diet. It is extremely important that if after a considerable amount of time of medication (a few months) and your seeing no improvement to your condition, please consult your health professionals as the medication and/or dosage may need to be altered.

You are not alone and you will get better. Stay as strong and as positive as possible and all the best.

Nick.

Jen_W
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi SorrelTansy -

Welcome to the forums! I just wanted to add my mere little 2 cents and echo what both Paul and Nick have said: it's such a great thing and so amazing that you've reached out and asked for help, and now have a mental health plan to assist you in starting to feel better. I know that even taking the step to reach out and seek help can be the hardest. So, great job for taking that initial step. Hopefully you'll find it not so daunting going forward to continue to reach out and have conversations with those you trust. And yes, these forums can be great, especially when you want to just get what you're feeling, out. We may not all have the perfect answers or solutions, but we will definitely listen and not judge, as Paul mentioned.

Please keep us updated. I'm looking forward to hearing how you are feeling as you are on your new mental health journey.

Jen xx

Thankyou Paul. Yes I am able to talk to my GO, she is brilliant. So I shall book an appt ASAP. Thanks so much for sharing your story, it really does help to know that this forum is here

Thankyou Nick. I appreciate your reply.

I’m trying to walk daily although sometimes severe panic makes it near impossible.

Hello Sorrel

Nick & Jen_W have posted their super helpful advice above with kind TLC too 🙂

Its only my humble opinion Sorrel....When I had my chronic anxiety making a double appointment always brought me inner peace afterwards. May I ask if you have a person that you can talk to when you are in a 'dark' place?

You are definitely not alone here Sorrel. (I still have difficultly walking my dog around the block....anxiety)

my kind thoughts for you

Paul

Hey Sorrel,

Good to hear that your trying to walk daily. Getting regular vitamin D and exercise is great for our physical and emotional well-being which are interconnected.

Keep strong and positive and doing the things your doing and it will get better mate.

Look forward to seeing your progression.

All the best,

Nick.