Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

vintage_kar <--------- Backspacer
  • replies: 3

Firstly hi, I've done a LOT of typing and backspacing. Backspacing. Backspacing. I avoid at all costs actually going to the doctor for help. In the past I have been told, 'don't drink' or 'it's situational'. I'd like to have 'situational' struck off ... View more

Firstly hi, I've done a LOT of typing and backspacing. Backspacing. Backspacing. I avoid at all costs actually going to the doctor for help. In the past I have been told, 'don't drink' or 'it's situational'. I'd like to have 'situational' struck off the vocabulary list for mental health speak. I know my situation is causing me anxiety, and yes my situation is crap. The thing is that I don't control the situation! Why is it ok that I suffer day in day out with constant anxiety and disgusting thoughts about being better off dead? Surely this can't be just situational? People seem to be able to sum up in a few words how I should go about dealing with my feelings. I know the thoughts are bad and abnormal. I just don't see any light. ~k

12alisonm Anxiety at university
  • replies: 2

I'm currently studying, but am finding it really hard to go to my lectures and tutorials because the entire time I'm there, I feel vaguely like I can't breathe! I've not had full panic attacks, but the constant nervousness and tight chest makes it re... View more

I'm currently studying, but am finding it really hard to go to my lectures and tutorials because the entire time I'm there, I feel vaguely like I can't breathe! I've not had full panic attacks, but the constant nervousness and tight chest makes it really hard for me to pay attention, and I dread going to tutorials where I have to talk to people. I'm starting to skip more and more classes, and I really don't want to jeopardise my degree. Does anyone have any tips on reducing the anxiety?!

Amali Relationship and social anxiety

I am currently in a relationship with a partner who I previously dated. We were together for 3 years and then broke up due to his hurtful behavior. We are trying to start fresh and have been back together for about 6 months. I have been having terrib... View more

I am currently in a relationship with a partner who I previously dated. We were together for 3 years and then broke up due to his hurtful behavior. We are trying to start fresh and have been back together for about 6 months. I have been having terrible anxiety and an irrational fear that he'll hurt me again. I break down when he says he's going out with friends and he recently booked an overseas holiday for 6 weeks and he wants to do it alone even though I would love to travel with him. I find myself turning into this insecure, clinging girlfriend who over analyses everything. I know this behavior will only push him away. I'm terrified of losing him again. I didn't think it would be this hard the second time and wish everything could go back to how it was before we broke up. I also suffer some social anxiety. I feel overwhelmed in social settings where I don't know many people. My partner is the complete opposite, very outgoing and makes friends easily. Im finding it hard to communicate how I'm feeling without getting overly emotional. My boyfriend hates to see me upset and just becomes distant when I'm upset. He wants to make me happy but I know I have to do my own things and make myself happy first. Many advice in this area would be greatly appreciated thanks TD

MyahLove1 How do you....
  • replies: 1

I'm new to this....which is something that makes anxious :S How do you get past the anxiety of the everyday world????

I'm new to this....which is something that makes anxious :S How do you get past the anxiety of the everyday world????

Rain_Girl Social Phobias

Hey guys Just wondering what social phobias some of you might have. one of mine is when I'm buying food... I often have to get my partner to do it for me because I feel really backed up in a corner for some reason. On the other hand, sometimes I'm pe... View more

Hey guys Just wondering what social phobias some of you might have. one of mine is when I'm buying food... I often have to get my partner to do it for me because I feel really backed up in a corner for some reason. On the other hand, sometimes I'm perfectly confident but as my partner knows of it he might bring it up and I get upset and back out. It's really embarrassing and seems silly, but it is a real problem. Another one is phone calls. I think its a judgment or embarrassment thing. I'm not too sure. All i know is from an early age i would rely on my younger sister when it came to us going into shops. Hope to hear from you all xoxo

shells dermatillamania
  • replies: 4

i had never heard of this before but just wondering does anyone else suffer from it? its very embarrassing. interested to know how others deal with it.

i had never heard of this before but just wondering does anyone else suffer from it? its very embarrassing. interested to know how others deal with it.

avalon2 Hi - Weird Thoughts - Anxiety

Ok, hi everyone I am new and nice to meet all of you, I am a 13 year old girl and I am still not sure whether I have anxiety or not but I thought I would come on here to chat and find people like me. Now onto the question, I have been having weird th... View more

Ok, hi everyone I am new and nice to meet all of you, I am a 13 year old girl and I am still not sure whether I have anxiety or not but I thought I would come on here to chat and find people like me. Now onto the question, I have been having weird thoughts which have been causing me discomfort. The thought is: "what if I swapped bodies with someone?", when I am watching someone perform or someone do something in front of a big crowd I start wondering what would happen if I became them, I start thinking of a plan of what I would do if it happened (if I was suddenly on stage as that person) and I find myself looking away from the person in fear of me becoming them. My heart starts beating fast and I repeat my 'plan' over and over again. It really freaks me out. Does this happen to anyone? Thanks, Avalon

bella1 Is this anxiety

Hi everyone, This is the first time I have ever written something on an online forum. I am struggling with some newly diagnosed anxiety because how do I know it's anxiety? To give you a history I had an episode while I was driving 6 months ago where ... View more

Hi everyone, This is the first time I have ever written something on an online forum. I am struggling with some newly diagnosed anxiety because how do I know it's anxiety? To give you a history I had an episode while I was driving 6 months ago where I felt very strange, lightheaded and like my arms weren't working properly even though they were. At the time it was very frightening because I had my 3 children in the car and was taken to ED in an ambulance. I was told I was having a panic attack which I vehemently denied as I'd never suffered any kind of anxiety or panic. They eventually told me that it wasn't a panic attack but was rather caused by low haemoglobin which was so low I required a transfusion. For the next 6 months I felt completely fine until early April the exact same thing happened again requiring another visit to ED. This time it was attributed to a severe ear infection. Since that ear infection I have felt dizzy on and off and completely strange. It's a weird feeling that I find difficult to describe but I either become a bit dizzy or feel a bit strange all over and then I feel completely panicked like I might die. I have managed to convince myself that I have a brain tumor and have presented to the GP twice very distressed. She has diagnosed me with anxiety because all my bloods were fine. My question is, how do I know it's not something more serious. I had 2 nights last week where I kept waking feeling completely panicked even though I was happily asleep prior. A night where I was too scared to go to bed in case it happened again and quite a few mornings where I wake up feeling very odd. One day I was too scared to get out of bed until the feeling passed. While this is happening I feel very panicked but once it's passed I feel almost normal and wonder what I was worrying about. Today I woke up feeling great, had a very busy morning but when I finally got home I all of a sudden had a weird pressure behind my eyes and nose, then felt a bit off balance and a bit not quite right. Eventually the feeling mostly passed but while I was chatting to a friend picking my daughter up from school I had a strange feeling come over me like my arm was weak even though it wasn't and then a rush came over me, my legs felt like they might give way but they didn't. I've also developed a bit of a headache which I don't normally suffer from over the last week. I'm really worried and am thinking about requesting a brain scan, mostly because these symptoms just appear all of a sudden. It's not like I'm worrying over anything when they happen. I have a real fear that I'm going to faint and my children will be frightened. How do I really know that this is anxiety? Can anyone else relate to these symptoms?

Amali Relationship Anxiety

I'm currently in a relationship with a partner who I dated previously. We were together for 3 years and broke up not long after his mothers death, which caused stress in the relationship. He hurt me badly (didn't deal with his grief and took it out o... View more

I'm currently in a relationship with a partner who I dated previously. We were together for 3 years and broke up not long after his mothers death, which caused stress in the relationship. He hurt me badly (didn't deal with his grief and took it out on me) but after time apart and some counselling he wanted to fix things. We have been trying to start fresh but things have been up and down. We are going on 6 months back together. I have this overwhelming fear of getting hurt again. I have break downs when he says he's going out with friends and he gets angry with me when I'm upset for no real reason, he says I should leave what happened in the past and just trust him. He has planned a 6 week holiday overseas. He wants to do it by himself even though I would like to travel with him. I understand that he wants to do this before we settle down (we've talked about marriage) but I fear that this is a sign that he is not committed to me and wishes to live a single life. I feel like i've turned into this insecure, clingy girlfriend who over analyses everything and I know this kind of behaviour will only push him away. I just wish things could go back to how they were before we broke up, I was a lot more carefree then. I also suffer from some social anxiety and get very overwhelmed in large groups of people I don't know well, my partner is the complete opposite, he is very outgoing and makes friends easily. Any advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated. TD

jacques cbt not working

I have been told by a psycologist two years ago that i need to get out of the house and follow cbt, i have tried over the past year but i am finding the anxiety getting worse. I cannot sleep, i am having panic attacks all of the time, day and night. ... View more

I have been told by a psycologist two years ago that i need to get out of the house and follow cbt, i have tried over the past year but i am finding the anxiety getting worse. I cannot sleep, i am having panic attacks all of the time, day and night. All of the books i have read and councillers i have spoken to have said that cbt is suppost to lower anxiety. It frightens that i will be like this for the rest of my life.