Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Random3 Tips
  • replies: 1

I would love some help &feed back.... I've always thought I have been a bit ocd with thoughts, thinking in patterns or thinking if I don't do this then something bad might happen...I kind of got control of that. every now & then I get random thoughts... View more

I would love some help &feed back.... I've always thought I have been a bit ocd with thoughts, thinking in patterns or thinking if I don't do this then something bad might happen...I kind of got control of that. every now & then I get random thoughts that I stew on for sometimes a few days sometimes a month eventually I get over it & think how did I ever think that. A few years ago I went into a depressive state over my thoughts, I got help & eventually got through it but now it is all happening again & I feel so much worse. I am getting help, but I just feel so deep in. I constantly am thinking, I wonder what that persons thinking, are they even thinking about their family or this or that, so ridiculous I know. I feel like I'm at work standing their & all the conversations are just going on around me, I find myself thinking why r u even saying that, I feel so withdrawn & feel like I have conplelty lodt my way of thinking & always questioning if how I'm thinking is right even when I am feeling fine. I know this is happening as I just over think & I am getting help to try & improve this but any tips would be great. Not even sure if any of this has made sense to anyone, but I feel completely crazy & I'm scared I won't get out of this horrible feeling!

flower_girl1 What if this is as good as it gets

Hey, it's been a while, to recap I started experiencing severe anxiety about this time last year, when I first came to beyond blue. I was medicated, I quit my job, finished college and moved to London. i am now in the same kind of job I had before an... View more

Hey, it's been a while, to recap I started experiencing severe anxiety about this time last year, when I first came to beyond blue. I was medicated, I quit my job, finished college and moved to London. i am now in the same kind of job I had before and I am starting to feel really stressed in it. It's a shame because in theory this is the kind of job that I want but dealing with customers can just be so aweful when things go wrong. I love the job but day to day there seems to be so much I don't love about it. but when is start to look for a different job I just can't find something that I will be enjoy that I can do and pays decent. I guess know I'm wondering if this is all I can expect from any job, to just scrape by and not really enjoy it. What if there isn't really a job for me out there? flower girl

tulpa worried about my capabilities
  • replies: 3

hello again I haven't been around the forums for a while. I seem to be worrying more and more about my level of intelligence, sometimes I think I'm the biggest idiot on earth and everyone is too nice to tell me, other times I feel like I'm a genius a... View more

hello again I haven't been around the forums for a while. I seem to be worrying more and more about my level of intelligence, sometimes I think I'm the biggest idiot on earth and everyone is too nice to tell me, other times I feel like I'm a genius and that if I wasn't apathetic there would be nothing I can't do. I can't understand it I seem to swing from sheer arrogance and absolute certainty in my superiority to a self loathing idiot, never in between. Is this some kind of narcissism?

Justus Newbie

I'm not too sure where to start. I guess by writing this now, I've started. I wake in the early hours of most mornings with what feels like my heart pounding out of my chest. I feel like I cannot cope with everyday stuff and feel like I'm being lumbe... View more

I'm not too sure where to start. I guess by writing this now, I've started. I wake in the early hours of most mornings with what feels like my heart pounding out of my chest. I feel like I cannot cope with everyday stuff and feel like I'm being lumbered with every decision, such as: What are you organizing for Christmas, Easter, birthdays, etc, why dose it have to be up to me always. Feeling very alone, scared, not in control of me, overwhelmed, sad

gucci coping with ptsd anxiety
  • replies: 2

hi therei have had anxiety for about 10 years now and have recently been diagnosed with ptsd anxiety. i witnessed and was made responsible for patching up a bipolar pd family members suicidal attempts from when i was 15 to now. i have been doing ok (... View more

hi therei have had anxiety for about 10 years now and have recently been diagnosed with ptsd anxiety. i witnessed and was made responsible for patching up a bipolar pd family members suicidal attempts from when i was 15 to now. i have been doing ok ( have a stable job, loving partner and a good home now) but i often feel very anxious with anything that reminds me of that situation and lately even with things that dont - but instead that i assume are simply going to lead to a very threatening situation for me. i would just like to know how to better cope please,...if anyone has any advice id be very greatfull xxx beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

julzabee Panic disorder, anxiety and intrusive thoughts

I've suffered from anxiety for a long time and recently the amount of panic attack i'm having has become extreme to the point that I dont think I will ever get better. The intrusive thoughts have been scaring me into having panic attacks. I know I'm ... View more

I've suffered from anxiety for a long time and recently the amount of panic attack i'm having has become extreme to the point that I dont think I will ever get better. The intrusive thoughts have been scaring me into having panic attacks. I know I'm not going to do something stupid due to these thoughts and I've been put on a medication to help cope with them but I just want to find out, is there light at the end of the tunnel? Im seeing psychiatrists and psychologists but yeah will I have a better life? I'm over being afraid every second of every day, its exhausting which isnt great because I havent been sleeping

ELove ADHD/Bipolar/Anxiety - undergoing diagnosis and fixing a misdiagnosis.

Hi guys, more than anything I'm probably looking for support and people to relate to more than answers. I've been around these parts but have never posted, so I'm looking forward to getting more involved. I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Diso... View more

Hi guys, more than anything I'm probably looking for support and people to relate to more than answers. I've been around these parts but have never posted, so I'm looking forward to getting more involved. I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and mild depression when I was 16 by a GP, and after being on and off with various psychologists and medications for a few years (I'm nearly 22) I decided to commit to a new psychologist at uni, who I am very pleased with. She thinks I might have ADHD, has spoken to my parents, and is trying to discern whether I may have ADHD or bipolar. The prospect of a new diagnosis is terrifying me. The reason I went to see a psychologist again is because I can't get through uni, I've completely lost all motivation, focus, creativity, any form of drive, but I'm not necessarily all that sad. I think the medication may be having an effect on that; making me feel flat and completely blocking out my ability to even react to stressful situations. I'm starting to think the only times I'm genuinely very happy is when I'm drinking with friends.... That's probably an issue. Not being able to complete tasks has had a huge effect on my life, I've started feeling pretty hopeless, as if time is running out and I've wasted my life. Kind of like life keeps moving and I'm just going through the motions to scrape through, being tripped up but having just enough energy to stay upright and look normal, but nothing more than that. I have huge goals that will never come to fruition if I can't commit myself but I can't see a change in myself coming. It's scary. Anyone else feeling something similar or have some pearls of wisdom?

KymKymKym Needing advice on how to deal with generalized anxiety

Hi, I am desperate for any help or advice on how to live with or deal with generalized anxiety. I hate feeling like this, I want to be myself again! I was diganosed with it only a couple months ago, have been seeing a doctor every 2 weeks and have be... View more

Hi, I am desperate for any help or advice on how to live with or deal with generalized anxiety. I hate feeling like this, I want to be myself again! I was diganosed with it only a couple months ago, have been seeing a doctor every 2 weeks and have been speaking with a counsellor. My anxiety and depression is caused by my job. I hate it. I hate thinking about it, seeing ads about the company I work for on TV, even washing my uniforms is hard. I have been looking and applying for so many jobs and haven't even got an interview which is making me feel unworthy and depressed. I can't leave as I need my wage to live. I'm not entitled to any financial help. I have not been sleeping properly for months, not eating, I avoid going out as I feel "scared", and everything I loved doing before, I hate now. I feel like my mind and heart is constantly racing, I feel like crying all the time. I'm trying to get professional help, but feel like it isn't working as I do need to go to my job every week. I just want to know if anyone who has been in a similar situation can give me advice or tips on how to not be so anxious all the time. Thank you for reading.

Feeling_Helpless New on forum : Feeling Uworthy and unappreciated.
  • replies: 4

Hi all, so i have predisposition to Anxiety and depression though most of the time i am a tough and confident well rounded person. The last year of my life has been chaotic to say the least, just extreemly busy with two toddlers and a few personal tr... View more

Hi all, so i have predisposition to Anxiety and depression though most of the time i am a tough and confident well rounded person. The last year of my life has been chaotic to say the least, just extreemly busy with two toddlers and a few personal traumas that have caused me to become very anxious. I wear my heart on my sleave and always try to be kind and helpful and i will bend over backward to help everyone i love however, over the years it hasnt been reciprocated by anyone. Mainly those in my closest circle and i take it all. Now i am hurting so much and i feel a lack of support around me. I have a very close in age sibling who is a master manipulator and has everyone roped in on her side when she belittles me or tries to place herself above me and when i stand my ground i am torn to shreds. I spent years supporting my husband through his issues of the most unsupportive parents who never accepted me and it is an on going issue. He doesnt stand his ground even to this day so im left to sort everything out for myself and him and i am just tired of fighting and arguing and beinf told that its all my fault. I have supportive friends but i want my family to be the ones to support me. Instead i am amazing when i am babysitting, doing favours etc but the moment i am not i am put down and walked all over. It have made me distrust everyone around me including myseflf. My happiness is gone, my spark is gone, i used to be so cheerful and positive and now i feel like only the love of my children is stopping me from falling deeper in the hell hole i fear ill never get out of. I am so deeply hurt and feel immensw guilt for my children because i cant be the mother i need to be at the moment because im not strong enough to protect myself emotionally. I feel like a failure i know im a good mum but i dont feel it now and i feel ashamed for letting all the belitlling get to me but i can help it and i dont know what else to do or who else to turn to. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Rollin Anxiety - What I have learned

I have found the pills did nothing expect make me sicker. I have tried very hard to self manage myself but it is very hard. My anxieties are medium most of the time and high every now and again. It does ruin your life no doubt but you have to try to ... View more

I have found the pills did nothing expect make me sicker. I have tried very hard to self manage myself but it is very hard. My anxieties are medium most of the time and high every now and again. It does ruin your life no doubt but you have to try to work around it. My physc sessions were not that useful however the one thing that I found really good was the link between anxieties and depression. The brains serotonin levels go down as your anxiety goes up. You may know this, so its a balancing act. So the way to increase serotonin levels is through natural causes not pills which only balance the levels.. There is list of things that do including being happy with yourself, which is the first thing to do of course. But also regular exercises, discussions with other people, eating nice food, etc. There is plenty of literature on this. All the things that make you feel good. I also do meditation sessions and there is a really good one on line app called 'Headspace". Its great. Also yoga sessions. Learn to do the breathing techniques, it really works pretty well for me and I had never done meditation before I started getting these attacks. There is a lot of literature and help on these subjects. If there is a particular thing that is causing problems you may need to fix that also (if possible), but always hard. I still have these problems but working on them your self I think is a better option than pills. If it is too extreme you may need the pills as well but still work on the tasks I mentioned above..