Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

tulpa Too anxious to talk to people
  • replies: 6

I'm too anxious to talk to people but if I don't I get depressed, is there any way to win? I also find talking to anyone extremely difficult, what would i say?

I'm too anxious to talk to people but if I don't I get depressed, is there any way to win? I also find talking to anyone extremely difficult, what would i say?

HelenM Anxiety. Confusing
  • replies: 6

I ve had depression for many years ,Gradually it's become milder. But last year I started to get brief episodes of fear. They were easing. But two months ago a good friend took his life. I ve had grief, fear, some good days. The fear is often that I ... View more

I ve had depression for many years ,Gradually it's become milder. But last year I started to get brief episodes of fear. They were easing. But two months ago a good friend took his life. I ve had grief, fear, some good days. The fear is often that I lol go into a bad depression again. This time the symptoms are worse. Mainly I mean that I can t be distracted by anything. I'm terrified that this anxiety will become massive or put me into a bad depression. I ve Ben told by people that my depression has turned to anxiety and doctors have been telling me it 's more anxiety now. I m so scared. I know I have to carry on with my routine but it 's not helping. I can tell see things getting better. I can only imagine going through a terrible time. Because I m not used to anxiety I Don t know how it goes. I suppose I got to know my depression. I see my gp in about ten days. If anyone can advise me I d really appreciate it. I feel lost. Helen

Camir Unmotivated to help myself
  • replies: 1

As an individual i have been battling my depression/anxiety for about a decade and at the age of 26 it feels as though it has ruined everything in my life. I recently left a 5 year relationship upon realising how toxic it was for me, i can't seem to ... View more

As an individual i have been battling my depression/anxiety for about a decade and at the age of 26 it feels as though it has ruined everything in my life. I recently left a 5 year relationship upon realising how toxic it was for me, i can't seem to get my way through university without hating every second of it and i feel as though I'm sabotaging the last friendship i have. These are the years I'm truly meant to have grown into a respectable responsible person, these are the years i should have enjoyed and had fun, instead i feel like I've done nothing but waste them. As i sit here to write this i truly say that i hate myself for what i haven't done or achieved with the time granted to me. I am so unmotivated despite seeing someone who is trying to help me. There is only so long i can drag my last friend through my shit when all she tried to do is help me. Currently, i am seeing a therapist who i have found to be quite helpful and understanding in comparison to others I've been to. As helpful as she is i cannot seem to put into place one set of homework i was given. "find myself a social hobby in an effort to reduce social anxiety and stop absolute thinking. My absolute thinking takes form in how i perceive trying new things, and meeting new people". I constantly feel confused as i have days where i really try hard and get things done, but then it seems i fall right back into old isolation type habits. Im not feeling the consequences of these days, i see them but i don't feel them. and it makes it very hard to get out of this situation I'm in. A good example is my friend who is very frustrated with me at the moment because i have had 2 weeks off work to try improve my situation and I've done absolutely nothing. I am begging my friend not to give up on me even though it seems I've given up on myself. In the back of my mind i know that i will go to sleep tonight and wake up tomorrow and these feelings of guilt will be gone and i can just settle into my old ways again. Like i said, i see consequences but i don't feel them. Please any advice would be so very appreciated. I'm not sure how long i can keep disappointing others and myself.

Princessstephie Really bad health anxiety :(
  • replies: 2

Hi I'm new here, and have suffered really bad anxiety since I was about 14 years old I'm now 35 years old!! it has gotten so much worse over the last 12 months, to the point I can hardly sleep at night and constantly worry during the day that I have ... View more

Hi I'm new here, and have suffered really bad anxiety since I was about 14 years old I'm now 35 years old!! it has gotten so much worse over the last 12 months, to the point I can hardly sleep at night and constantly worry during the day that I have cancer, I've been a smoker since I was 13 and stopped 12 days ago, I'm constantly getting pains in my back between my shoulder blades, stomach, diarrhoea, dizzyness, nausea, random pains throughout my body!! i currently think I have lung cancer, ovarian cancer, cervical cancer and colan cancer! I'm to scared to go to a doctor, as I don't want to be told I'm dying of cancer, I have 6 children and I'm scared to death of dying and leaving them alone has anyone else go this? I'm seriously going out of my mind!!

Kengy Awful awful anxiety

Hi I wrote on this site a few days ago about my panic attacks and anxiety. Last night and today have been awful, so much so that I've run away from my home, and my family. I just cannot cope anymore. I want this to just stop. I get breathing issues, ... View more

Hi I wrote on this site a few days ago about my panic attacks and anxiety. Last night and today have been awful, so much so that I've run away from my home, and my family. I just cannot cope anymore. I want this to just stop. I get breathing issues, burning arms, nausea, and spinning thoughts. I also feel restless. How can I ever go back to work like this? Does it ever end?

Chloekat84 I cant keep going through this!
  • replies: 8

Ive had anxiety and depression for a long time now but has only recently been bad within the last 6 monthes. U have probably seen me post on here b4. Ive just got to a point where I cant deal with it anymore especially when I have to look after my da... View more

Ive had anxiety and depression for a long time now but has only recently been bad within the last 6 monthes. U have probably seen me post on here b4. Ive just got to a point where I cant deal with it anymore especially when I have to look after my daughter and sometimes my son. Lately ive been wakin up every morning with bad anxiety and it wakes me up early like 5.30-6am and I can control my legs moving or movement of some kind. Nothing seems to work ive tried distraction and everything. I also get nausea as well. Im usually ok by the afternoon most of the time but sometimes im not. Ive been to doctors and im on new medication but been on it nearly 3 weeks now so I shouldn't be feeling like this. Ive seen doctors and they cant do anything although I haven't lately. When I was around family when I stayed in Ardrossan with my folks for 5 days last week I was fine. Nor morning anxiety although I still couldn't eat in the mornings. I don't know what to do anymore. I cant seem to function on my own anymore. I cant stop crying at times. I just want this to stop. Im on the brink! :'( :'(

Mindful_bubbles Freaking out about a holiday

Any advice welcome on how to handle anxiety outside your normal comfort zones!! I'm going on a cruise and have a sever peanut allergy. I'm driving myself crazy about "may contain traces" and cross contamination at the buffet. I'm going mental over " ... View more

Any advice welcome on how to handle anxiety outside your normal comfort zones!! I'm going on a cruise and have a sever peanut allergy. I'm driving myself crazy about "may contain traces" and cross contamination at the buffet. I'm going mental over " might get sea sick" . I really want this to be a fun holiday, but I'm getting really nervous with only 4 weeks to go - Thanks Fellow Beyond Bluers.

Azza29 Hey guys just after a little advise

Im not sure now to word this or if it is even actually anxiety but for the last 6 months mainly only when im away at work (i work 5 weeks on 5 weeks off on a ship) i have this feeling in my chest, like my heart is going faster or like the feeling you... View more

Im not sure now to word this or if it is even actually anxiety but for the last 6 months mainly only when im away at work (i work 5 weeks on 5 weeks off on a ship) i have this feeling in my chest, like my heart is going faster or like the feeling you would get right before a crash or something like that. I havent been getting it at home just when im here. I have a feeling it has something to do with girls though. Ive had a couple of bad relationships and ive just started a new one and maybe thats making me worried while im away subconsciously? Or maybe its my body telling me i have something wrong and should go get checked out. Im not sure what it is or how to stop it. It kind of hits me for a second then goes for a few seconds then hits me again etc. But not all the time. Just when im not busy thinking of work and other things. If it is the start of anxiety i just thought i should try get on top of it early. Thanks for reading

Kengy Terrible panic attack/anxiety
  • replies: 3

I've been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks the last three days. I'm nauseous, my arms are burning, and my heart is racing. How do you cope? I feel like I'm going mad. It just doesn't seem to stop. Please help me.

I've been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks the last three days. I'm nauseous, my arms are burning, and my heart is racing. How do you cope? I feel like I'm going mad. It just doesn't seem to stop. Please help me.

Ambibella Hangover anxiety

HI there im a mum of 3 and married very happily. I have a lot of things going on like most mums, run 2 businesses, always helping my family with their problems and my husbands family and look after my kids one of which is only 6 months old a two year... View more

HI there im a mum of 3 and married very happily. I have a lot of things going on like most mums, run 2 businesses, always helping my family with their problems and my husbands family and look after my kids one of which is only 6 months old a two year old and a 7 year old. I love them all to death but I suffer from extreme anxiety. I have really bad health anxiety worrying constantly that I'm going to have cancer or something terrible or that the kids are sick. I have social anxiety as well and always think people are thinking badly of me. I never do anything for myself and then when I do get a second out with my friends I tend to drink to much and all the pent up stress comes burbling out and then I have major guilt that I've said or done the wrong thing. I just go over and over the night in my head I feel like a terrible mother and wife and just basically punish myself for ever. I just don't no how to deal with it.