Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Jane24 Can't be alone
  • replies: 5

I struggle with anxiety & panic attacks when I'm alone, especially when I'm physically unwell with a flu etc. as I feel unable to cope/scared of something happening to me with no help. I'm 25 & live at home with my retired parents. They get angry at ... View more

I struggle with anxiety & panic attacks when I'm alone, especially when I'm physically unwell with a flu etc. as I feel unable to cope/scared of something happening to me with no help. I'm 25 & live at home with my retired parents. They get angry at me for not being able to cope on my own as it affects their life & they can't leave me home by myself. I feel like the worst person ever & they make me feel very guilty about my anxiety/how it affects them. I feel so depressed because of how I'm ruining their life & how little life I have. Right now I have the flu & asked mum to stay home with me as I'm feeling very anxious. She is angry at me, saying how much she is sick of putting up with me, how I'm stressing everyone out & ruining her life etc. How can I cope with these comments when I'm also reliant on her & physically sick right now? The stress is making everything worse.

flappybird Does your eye twitch too?
  • replies: 3

I'm so sick of this nervous twitch in my eye. It started after a fairly explosive breakdown at my high stress job which very nearly cost me my job almost 6 months ago. I've had 8 sessions of CBT and meds, and I still can't get rid of this twitch in m... View more

I'm so sick of this nervous twitch in my eye. It started after a fairly explosive breakdown at my high stress job which very nearly cost me my job almost 6 months ago. I've had 8 sessions of CBT and meds, and I still can't get rid of this twitch in my eye. Every time it twitches it reminds me of the explosive outburst and what a mess I'm in - i.e workplace anxiety running rampant - catastrophising that I'll be walked off-site tomorrow etc etc.... Not to mention how tiring it is feeling anxious all day. This makes me grumpy, my productivity drops, then I get start catastrophising again and the cycle continues. Add to that the now compulsory regular meetings with the boss only help to make it worse as I convince myself I am being "performance managed" out the door. I'm looking forward to catching up with my councilor again when she gets back from holidays. Has anyone else managed to rid themselves of a eye twitch? It is a very annoying and constant reminder that my mind isn't working properly.

Mum_with_four Anxiety and anger with kids
  • replies: 1

I am feeling really defeated at the moment. I have 4 kids between 7 and 1. I have had some family help over the past few weeks and they know I have been struggling. After work I come home and my peaceful house turns to chaos. Kids yelling and fightin... View more

I am feeling really defeated at the moment. I have 4 kids between 7 and 1. I have had some family help over the past few weeks and they know I have been struggling. After work I come home and my peaceful house turns to chaos. Kids yelling and fighting for attention. When I’m home during the day it’s the same. I had a really bad day the other week and I ended up in tears. My 7 year old said to me the other day, even though you cry sometimes I still love you. I do get angry with the kids sometimes just little things trigger me. But it’s the build up of days and days of the same arguments and struggles and battles. I didn’t think much of my child’s comment until yesterday my parent said that they want to talk to my husband and me because they can see some serious problems in the house and we are struggling as parents. I can’t even look my parents in the eyes now. I have felt like a failure as a parent when we have a bad day but having it pointed out has broken me. I know I have to get some help somehow but I don’t know when to start. After I had my last child I was supposed to see the nurse as I was borderline post natal but I felt like i couldn’t go back to get help. I feel ashamed when I get angry and snap at my kids. I have so much to do and need to work to help out financially all the stresses of life are getting too much. I feel my anxiety is triggering my anger and sometimes I see red and have to remove myself. I have 2 challenging children who argue from the minute they wake up in the morning. I don’t know where to start. I need to make my situation better but don’t know how.

Fazza new, remote mum with anxiety
  • replies: 1

Hi, I live in remote WA and have limited access to services. I manage and live on a remote property and am a mum of a 13 month old who I adore. I had to go back to work when my baby was 6 months and I've struggled with leaving him for work which impa... View more

Hi, I live in remote WA and have limited access to services. I manage and live on a remote property and am a mum of a 13 month old who I adore. I had to go back to work when my baby was 6 months and I've struggled with leaving him for work which impacts my general anxiety. My dad has just been diagnosed with cancer and only has a couple of years which I am struggling with balancing a very busy and high responsibility job, living remote, missing my baby and being away from my dad at this time. I'm looking for support counselling or help that might be available to assist me through this hard time as I'm getting overwhelmed and struggling with sleep (more than just a new mum is!).

Anntug Back again....
  • replies: 3

Bugger this anxiety thing, I had been good since June last year and now my health anxiety has flared up dramatically. It all started when I had the flu and recovered from it with the exception of headaches. I tried not to worry about them but of cour... View more

Bugger this anxiety thing, I had been good since June last year and now my health anxiety has flared up dramatically. It all started when I had the flu and recovered from it with the exception of headaches. I tried not to worry about them but of course it has got the better of me again. The anxiety is killing me more in the mornings, cannot eat and feel nause all the time.

jessypixie Hypnosis for treating Selective Eating Disorder (SED) - Avoidant / Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID)
  • replies: 7

Hey beautiful people, Just wondering if anyone has or knows anyone that suffers from Selective Eating Disorder (SED) - Avoidant / Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID)?? It is only a recently recognised "Eating Disorder", but I have been trying to... View more

Hey beautiful people, Just wondering if anyone has or knows anyone that suffers from Selective Eating Disorder (SED) - Avoidant / Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID)?? It is only a recently recognised "Eating Disorder", but I have been trying to seek help with this for years. Because of suffering from this for 27 years of my life, I have also developed and suffered with Panic/Anxiety disorder for the past 6 years. I guess I'm just curious to know if there is anyone on this forum that knows/understands what I'm going through? Trying to find information/ support groups is really really hard. I hope your day is a happy and positive one, thank you all for taking the time to read this Peace & Love - Jessypixie

Twill Early AM wake ups - what can I do ?
  • replies: 2

Been managing my anxiety fairly well for the last 10 years - my 1st experience led to me stopping work & taking 2 years to be able to manage. Have remained on medication & been sailing fairly smoothly until three days ago - Friday 3:30am woke up to m... View more

Been managing my anxiety fairly well for the last 10 years - my 1st experience led to me stopping work & taking 2 years to be able to manage. Have remained on medication & been sailing fairly smoothly until three days ago - Friday 3:30am woke up to massive panic/anxiety attack & couldn’t go back to sleep - anxious thoughts, nausea etc. didn’t go to work & was hoping I’d get better over the weekend- not happened. Did try some breathing through it but not sure if I went back to sleep & tossing turning. I know lack of sleep is one of my triggers- any hints on what works for you at that time of night ? I’m dreading going to bed cause I know it will happen again. I also get very nauseated and dry reach when highly escalated in the morning - I’m off to drs tomorrow but am worried about letting work down & history repeating itself

EeeDee Is it me or anxiety?
  • replies: 4

Hi, this is my first post here. I suppose I'm writing this in hopes someone reading this has the answer. I have had anxiety all my life but I used to manage it well, even through the seven years of my teaching career. A little bit of withdrawel now a... View more

Hi, this is my first post here. I suppose I'm writing this in hopes someone reading this has the answer. I have had anxiety all my life but I used to manage it well, even through the seven years of my teaching career. A little bit of withdrawel now and then, over compensating other times. But recently some changes have occurred at the school I've been a teacher at for four years, the changes will affect my future there. In a nutshell I won't have a job next year as they are making changes to the lessons being taught - goodbye art and hello science. My issue isn't the changes, although it devastates me to think that my art program was not valued enough to hold on to despite community support and positive feedback. My anxiety took hold when it was revealed to me at a staff meeting with no heads up or prewarning. I was told the other teachers had voted for science. So there I sat, next to my colleagues thinking I have just been betrayed and no one thought to pull me aside and council me on the changes. Or even talk to me afterwards. It broke my spirit. I respected these people but they obviously did not value me or the hard work and relationships I had built. I went home and cried, I hid myself beneath a blanket to ashamed to tell my family I had failed. What were they to think except that I must have done something wrong. My son said the handling from the school was brutal. Whats worse is I spiraled and had to take sick leave. I had a collegue at school who supported me but recently I have not heard from her. I'm frightened I scared her away with my behavior. I texted her an apology recently for drawing her into my mess but she has not replied. Now I'm telling myself I'm a self absorbed shit that should be worrying about bigger things. That even she thinks I'm nuts and over reacted. I want to call the school make things right, but I have developed a tremor in my hand that disturbs me and I feel ill thinking f walking into my classroom again. I loved that space, it was a happy place of learning. Am I crazy, selfish or is just the anxiety? Why do I keep reliving how I handled the situation and wanting to turn back time. Its really pathetic really when there is so much more heavier problems in the world. Am I alone in this. I'm seeking help but I worry they might think I'm narcissistic or paranoid. I used to think I was tough, caring and emphatic but now I'm not sure. This anxiety has me tied up in knots.

onlymct I don’t know what’s wrong

I’ve had this constant pit that lingered from my chest into my stomach and I hate it. It’s like I want that feeling when you’re about to cry and then it releases when you do, but when I go to cry, nothing comes out. I’m tired all the time, I barely h... View more

I’ve had this constant pit that lingered from my chest into my stomach and I hate it. It’s like I want that feeling when you’re about to cry and then it releases when you do, but when I go to cry, nothing comes out. I’m tired all the time, I barely have any energy. I can’t eat properly, my sleeping sucks. I’m losing motivation for a lot of things. I can barely get myself to reply to a message. I’m having random panic attacks throughout my day, over almost nothing. Nothing will be happening and I’m struggling to breath, freaking myself out. What’s wrong with me? I had depression. I thought it went away. This feeling only lasted a little bit and then it’d go away. But I’m constantly on edge and I just want this feeling in my stomach to go away.

browniesdh Intrusive thoughts

hey so i think i have been struggling with intrusive thoughts i think for a while. they have made me question things really core to me like my mountain biking and things about my relationship. my latest intrusive thought episode has been about my sex... View more

hey so i think i have been struggling with intrusive thoughts i think for a while. they have made me question things really core to me like my mountain biking and things about my relationship. my latest intrusive thought episode has been about my sexuality and i think i have convinced myself that i am not what i thought i was i guess i am wondering if this is just another episode or something more as it is hard to tell, also any tips for dealing with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!