Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

LP80 Mums group anxiety, is it worth it!
  • replies: 4

I am finding the same thing as Stina, but with a mothers group. I am a new mum and have always been open about my anxiety and have not made quite a few outings due to it. Now I find myself being excluded and it is awful. Even found out they have a se... View more

I am finding the same thing as Stina, but with a mothers group. I am a new mum and have always been open about my anxiety and have not made quite a few outings due to it. Now I find myself being excluded and it is awful. Even found out they have a seperate group chat from the one I am on. I find most days I cannot sleep from thinking about it and feel sick leaving the house with my daughter little alone going to events with these people. It is a small town and I fear leaving the group will bring more stress... if possible

Zxllakami I need help with soical anxiety please
  • replies: 6

I am really afraid of anything soical like large crowds, school, family gatherings etc. I hate talking to anyone and can’t be my true self around anyone. I feel really sick in soical situations. I know people won’t always be judging me but I feel lik... View more

I am really afraid of anything soical like large crowds, school, family gatherings etc. I hate talking to anyone and can’t be my true self around anyone. I feel really sick in soical situations. I know people won’t always be judging me but I feel like they are. I don’t dress how I want because I fear being judged and made fun of. Please so advice please. Thanks.

Benji321 How to Over Come Social Anxiety and Social Blushing **Advice Needed**
  • replies: 5

Hi, What advice to people have to overcome social phobia and social blushing. I seem to blush and get nervous in every social situation where the pressure is on me. I have seen a Psychiatrist and a psychologist with not much help or answers except a ... View more

Hi, What advice to people have to overcome social phobia and social blushing. I seem to blush and get nervous in every social situation where the pressure is on me. I have seen a Psychiatrist and a psychologist with not much help or answers except a bunch of meds which don't help. Has any one else been through something simular and work and how did you go about getting help or what techniques did you use. This is really ruining my career and my life I now tend to avoid social situations and meetings where I can. Thanks all

Guest_1211 At the limits of coping. But what happens when I cease to cope?
  • replies: 1

I feel absolutely overwhelmed. I feel like I have reached my limit and my capacity to cope has almost been stretched to breaking point. my psychologist has been warning me that she is concerned that I will push myself past my limit. That at some poin... View more

I feel absolutely overwhelmed. I feel like I have reached my limit and my capacity to cope has almost been stretched to breaking point. my psychologist has been warning me that she is concerned that I will push myself past my limit. That at some point I won’t be able to keep coping. I always seem to be able to keep taking on more and just make it work, but what actually happens if you can’t? What does this look like? I can’t imagine not coping, but I don’t know if I can keep this up.

neverstopneverstopping Anxiety is constant again.
  • replies: 2

Hi guys. I've been on medication for anxiety for just over a year and a half. Originally it was stress related to my job, but during that time, my Dad was diagnosed with Cancer - again. In the time since I've been on anti-anxiety medication, his diag... View more

Hi guys. I've been on medication for anxiety for just over a year and a half. Originally it was stress related to my job, but during that time, my Dad was diagnosed with Cancer - again. In the time since I've been on anti-anxiety medication, his diagnosis has been made terminal. This last week things took a bad turn and the end is looking nearer than it did last week. Since finding out that our time with Dad is very much limited, I am noticing that my breathing is constantly shaky or I am struggling to catch my breath. I'm not sleeping again - because I'm afraid it might happen overnight. I'm also starting to dread leaving the house, but at the same time, I don't want to be here because watching him slip away is freaking me out too. I'm sorry if this triggers anyone, this is not my intention. I'm just looking for outside opinions and options of what I can do to try and calm down a little. I know that it's not going to be easy, but I'd like to react normally and not feel anxious constantly.

KiiKii Is my anxiety becoming depression
  • replies: 5

I've previously been diagnosed with GAD and have coped alright the past few years. In the last few months I've had a lot of exhaustion, it's been hard to engage with work, episodes of sleep disturbance and I've moved back in with my parents (it puts ... View more

I've previously been diagnosed with GAD and have coped alright the past few years. In the last few months I've had a lot of exhaustion, it's been hard to engage with work, episodes of sleep disturbance and I've moved back in with my parents (it puts me quite far from friends). My psychologist has usually used the term 'anxiety' even when I've reported feeling a bit down and has previously reassured me that my symptoms are not depression. I'm trying to figure out if this is my anxiety flaring up or if I'm crossing over into some depression. I'm booked in to see a psychologist in two weeks (on the waiting list to go earlier). Bit nervous because my regular psych is on maternity leave and the person they recommended is on holidays so seeing someone else

Anonymous1507 I get anxious just for reading aloud
  • replies: 3

I get nervous reading aloud in front of a class but not in front of friends or a tiny group. It is the worst feeling, I can feel my heart beating out of my chest, I get sweaty palms, my hands shake, I get out of breath and my voice cracks. This happe... View more

I get nervous reading aloud in front of a class but not in front of friends or a tiny group. It is the worst feeling, I can feel my heart beating out of my chest, I get sweaty palms, my hands shake, I get out of breath and my voice cracks. This happens even if I’m just reading devotion (in the morning at school in home group), I even try to be late to the first lesson just so I don’t have to read. I used to be a confident reader but now I’m stumbling on easy words. It seems like such a dumb thing to be worried about everyday and I feel like I overthink about what people think of me even though they probably don’t even give a shit. I don’t know if it’s stage fright, or if it’s certain people in the room. I am good at doing orals where I don’t read can someone please give me advice even just a little because this is all I can think about and tomorrow I have school which I have a feeling that it’s my turn to read devotion. Thanks

Living57 Today my anxiety and panic reached scary heights
  • replies: 2

Today has been one of those days, the ones we dread, the ones we fear. I had to go seekfinancial help, I have never been in that type of situation before. I felt embarrassed. I started panicking during the night, when I couldnt sleep, it was just aft... View more

Today has been one of those days, the ones we dread, the ones we fear. I had to go seekfinancial help, I have never been in that type of situation before. I felt embarrassed. I started panicking during the night, when I couldnt sleep, it was just after 2.00am, and I didnt ettled until after midnight. I could switch the dread and fear off and as I started my morning routine it ramped up, and then the fear and anxiety joined in. OMG it was awful. I finally made it to the office, but there were people everywhere and that didnt help either, (I have a fear of being in close proximity to people I dont know and places unknown to me). The lovely lady I saw must have thought I was a right nut case, stammering, shaking, sweating, unable to say anything intelligent, and getting worse as I tried. Eventually though we got it sorted, and I was able to retreat to my room, alone. I have never had to deal with panic and anxiety at these levels. It scared me, and that made it worse. I felt sick, sick to the pit of my stomach, embarrassed that I have been reduced to this, angry that my late husband has been the cause, and with these emotions, my anxiety and panic start again and the fear for myself, my sanity, my well being ramp up, until I feel like I cant breath, my head roars, I sweat, I want to pass out. And each attack gets worse. So what do I do?? I succumb to my feelings and retreat in to myself. And loneliness steps in to join me, and self loathing, and hatred of me and who I am, and then I panic, my fear of tomorrow and the day after, and the one after that, it all gets bigger and bigger, and my ability to cope gets less and less, and that worries and scares me. I am alone in life. Too scared to go out. The friends I had have dwindled, some were not confortable with me and my mental health, insert anxiety panic attacks here, and some I just let go as I realised they were toxic, and here comes panic and anxiety and questioning what kind of person I am. And I dont know what to do. I hate these feelings, the overwhelming anxiety and panic, but I dont know what to do, and I am realizing that they are becoming my norm and it's not normal, and I hate it. Even as i write this i am fighting within myself, that i will be judged and looked down on because of my emotions, and fear is setting in and a panic attack is starting to build up. Does anyone understand? Has it happened to you? Or am I alone, adrift in a sea of fear, panic and anxiety. Its help!!

cloudy_days I don't have a firm grip on reality
  • replies: 4

Hi everyone, About a month ago I smoked some weed (was not my first time) and had a terrible reaction. I entered a never ending loop and believed that I was going to be stuck in that loop forever. I also somehow convinced myself that the loop was a r... View more

Hi everyone, About a month ago I smoked some weed (was not my first time) and had a terrible reaction. I entered a never ending loop and believed that I was going to be stuck in that loop forever. I also somehow convinced myself that the loop was a representation of life and that we are living in a simulation. I know, it sounds crazy.. but now that I am sober I am still feeling similar feelings of being in a loop. I often freak out and feel like I'm stuck in a loop again and it makes me feel like I am detached from reality and that reality might not be real. I find that my anxiety peaks when it's at night time or I'm about to sleep because I'm not sleeping very well. I have booked in for a psychologist next week but I'm struggling right now and would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Shy_Girl10 Work Anxiety
  • replies: 3

First time posting.. I was living interstate and working before i moved back home to live with parents. I was given the chance to work from home as work was going through a transition period. I have come back over to visit and catchup with my best fr... View more

First time posting.. I was living interstate and working before i moved back home to live with parents. I was given the chance to work from home as work was going through a transition period. I have come back over to visit and catchup with my best friend. I said to my work I can go in and work/see everyone. I got so anxious about it i had to tell them i had to work from home. I don't understand why i got so anxious for this. Im still employed by them, but left, and now im back. I couldnt shake the feeling people would judge me for being back or ask why im there. I never there going back into where I work would bring me down. Is this normal to feel this? I have good memories here but also bad ones.. my anxiety has never been this bad and no matter how much i try to tell people they dont seem to get it.. Its been getting worse lately and dont know why or what to do. I know deep down everything will work out and is fine.. but no matter how much i say that it doent help.. Really sttuggling what to do to fix this.. its really affecting my day to day life and im just about at breaking point.. Is it normal to feel like this?