Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

WendyRose Genuinely terrified
  • replies: 2

I have been concerned for the past nine months or more that I might be exhibiting signs of early onset dementia. The very thought of this makes me panic. I have suffered from depression all my life due to early childhood abuse but have never been a h... View more

I have been concerned for the past nine months or more that I might be exhibiting signs of early onset dementia. The very thought of this makes me panic. I have suffered from depression all my life due to early childhood abuse but have never been a hypochondriac. In fact, I almost never go to the doctor. It seems ironic that someone who has been suicidal all her life is now scared of leaving her children in this way. I am only 48.

Adeo90 Health anxiety
  • replies: 5

I am currently on a girls weekend and my anxiety has been really bad today. My psychiatrist recently diagnosed me with health anxiety. I can't sleep ATM because I'm too worried about my heart rate. In my eyes it's too low. Hovering around 50 bpm on m... View more

I am currently on a girls weekend and my anxiety has been really bad today. My psychiatrist recently diagnosed me with health anxiety. I can't sleep ATM because I'm too worried about my heart rate. In my eyes it's too low. Hovering around 50 bpm on my fitbit. I have an app as well that I use to check and it's around 54 bpm. I'm too scared to sleep because I'm worried that it will go even lower if I sleep, or even stop even with my anxiety it's that low. I have no one to speak to either as I feel like the girls I am with won't understand. I don't know how to stop worrying!

Roobot Lost a friend and feeling alone

So I've had a few minor panic attacks lately but seem to be learning to head them off before they go anywhere. Today in the supermarket I wasn't feeling the best, I saw a person who I used to be great friends with and tried to have a chat but got bru... View more

So I've had a few minor panic attacks lately but seem to be learning to head them off before they go anywhere. Today in the supermarket I wasn't feeling the best, I saw a person who I used to be great friends with and tried to have a chat but got brushed off. She never spoke to me much after I got diagnosed with epilepsy. Then I saw another friend. I complained at her last week that her kid messed up my kids room, thinking she'd take it OK. My kid has OCD anxiety and he doesn't like people moving his stuff. She took it so hard that she says she's not visiting me again. I tried to explain how I only have a limited amount of energy and it's usually gone by midday. I just can't be tidying all day or I'll make myself ill. I have 3 kids off my own to tidy up after. Anyway she totally didn't get it. She said if my kids messed up her house she'd just leave it. Anyway I'm really upset. I've lost a friend who I thought understood me and my child. But I'm alone. We are alone. My son and I. I'm sad he's lost a little friend too.

Koby16 How do you know?

I have been suffering anxiety and panic for as long as I can remember. I don't recall a time where I felt 'normal'. It has started to impact my wellbeing - where I used to manage it, I now can't seem to get a handle on it. I have physical symptoms al... View more

I have been suffering anxiety and panic for as long as I can remember. I don't recall a time where I felt 'normal'. It has started to impact my wellbeing - where I used to manage it, I now can't seem to get a handle on it. I have physical symptoms all day and am at a point where I can't tell if it is real or anxiety driven. I find myself going is this real chest pain, is this numbness real, do I have a cold? The truth is I can't tell..it all feels the same - debilitating. I am writing this now in the early hours of the morning because I have woken up with anxiety and can't seem to get it under control, How do I know wha is real. How do I manage the anxiety? It seems once I get one symptom under control, a new one pops up to take its place...

familygirl Help, my new boyfriend has anxiety
  • replies: 9

I am trying to understand what is going on with my boyfriend. We have been seeing each other for just over 2mths and still haven't spent a full day together. He tells me he suffers from anxiety and has been seeing a psych and is on medication. He has... View more

I am trying to understand what is going on with my boyfriend. We have been seeing each other for just over 2mths and still haven't spent a full day together. He tells me he suffers from anxiety and has been seeing a psych and is on medication. He has been under a lot of stress at work as well and working long hours and is always tired. He tells me he loves me and that I mean the world to him, but he won't spend any longer then a overnight stay and he's off first thing in the morning. It seems he always has an excuse. I don't understand how someone who says they love you doesn't want to spend any time with you. I have been hurt a lot in the past by previous partners just wanting a good time and I'm wondering if he's just another one or whether he is genuine. I just don't understand how he could not want to spend time together if he really did had feelings for me. It doesn't help that I have trust issues either I guess. If anyone can help me understand where he is coming from that would be great. All he has told me is that he feels like I would think he is a boring person, I've asked him about his anxiety but he has avoided the topic.

LZ1234 OCD impacting all aspects of life
  • replies: 3

Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with OCD and am seeing a psychologist. This is helping, however, I still struggle day-to-day to do normal things. Someone in my family has come home a little bit sick and I immediately had an anxiety attack. I now can... View more

Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with OCD and am seeing a psychologist. This is helping, however, I still struggle day-to-day to do normal things. Someone in my family has come home a little bit sick and I immediately had an anxiety attack. I now can't leave my room in fear of catching the sickness. I have a fear of using the bathroom and kitchen and can't even go outside to get a drink of water in fear of it. I'm constantly living like this everyday. I've never met or talked to anyone else with OCD. I'm keen to get some advice from someone who has been through it and knows how it feels. I've got a lot of people supporting me (eg, family and boyfriend) but I feel like they don't actually understand what i'm going through. Thanks

Lizzie_K From the mum of a daughter with anxiety
  • replies: 3

I love my daughter dearly and when she recently told me she’s been suffering from anxiety at school and has been for a few months... My heart broke for her and what she’s been suffering on her own and for me for not seeing it. If it wasn’t for a very... View more

I love my daughter dearly and when she recently told me she’s been suffering from anxiety at school and has been for a few months... My heart broke for her and what she’s been suffering on her own and for me for not seeing it. If it wasn’t for a very close friend at school noticing that she wasn’t herself recently I would’ve never of known. She only told me tonight that she didn’t really want to tell me, as she wasn’t ready to. She’s asked me not to tell her father and I find that really hard. We are a close family and I usually discuss most things with my husband, and to keep something so important from him I’m finding that very hard. I am respecting her wishes and not telling him as I know how important it is for her to be in control of her anxiety and choices around it. I take time each day for one on one so she can speak with me about anything if she needs to or nothing if that’s the case. Some days she doesn’t have anything to say and like today she had lots. She’s not ready to speak with a professional yet either. She gave me permission to speak with a Social Worker I work with and that was very helpful for me to talk to someone about it but also to get some advice on how I can help her without making it worse. So here I am, she had a bad day today and a friend made it worse and there were lots of tears. I listened to her, I gave her some advice, I told her I loved her and what happened today wasn’t her fault and I support her in whatever decision she makes about resolving today’s dilemma and going forward. I love her so much and I want her pain and anguish to go away. I know it’s not going to be any easy or quick fix and I need to be strong for her and tell her how well she’s going managing her anxiety and life in general. She’s 15 and sometimes I wish for her to be 5 again where the worst thing that happened in her day was a grazed knee and the first thing she wanted to do when she saw me was say I love you and head in for a huge cuddle. We all struggle with our own demons and whilst my daughter is struggling with hers I have to hide mine from her and that my friend is one of the hardest things I’ve had to do.

Nooche Self sabotage

Hi I’m really struggling to keep myself together, i have been married for 12 years and I’m scared we are not right for each other, every time there’s a social outing I straight away say I’m not going it’s my first reaction I don’t even know why I do ... View more

Hi I’m really struggling to keep myself together, i have been married for 12 years and I’m scared we are not right for each other, every time there’s a social outing I straight away say I’m not going it’s my first reaction I don’t even know why I do it , I feel anxious inside and can’t stop thinking about it i feel a huge relief when it’s over, this is what happens before hand my head spins and I can’t have a proper conversation I jump to conclusions in my head I start to self sabotage the relationship in my head by predicting what will happen which then In turn is destroying my marriage I question myself and I don’t feel I’m who I want to be and need to get out to stop the thoughts , I get depressed from it all and I see the look on her face is what is wrong with you and I don’t know what to say or do.

PomInSydney Anxiety after drinking

Hi there, I'm new to beyond blue so this is my first post. I had a heavy night out on Saturday, and had the 'beer fear' all of Sunday. I was pretty hungover so simply tried to keep myself distracted and calm, and put it out of my mind as 'just a hang... View more

Hi there, I'm new to beyond blue so this is my first post. I had a heavy night out on Saturday, and had the 'beer fear' all of Sunday. I was pretty hungover so simply tried to keep myself distracted and calm, and put it out of my mind as 'just a hangover'. Here I am on Monday, still feeling it. I was up early to get to the gym which did make me feel a little better, but I'm sat at my desk with my heart racing, body trembling, knot in my stomach, and I can't focus on anything. I feel very tired too, as I believe the anxiety I have been feeling meant I had a poor nights sleep and I had some stressful dreams. Is it usual to have heightened anxiety for two days post-drinking?

JellJell Dental Fear. Please help me!

I was hesitant about posting on here but my fear is getting the better of me and I don't know what to do. I'm having this massive fear when it comes to the dentist. I do suffer from anxiety in general which I think is making this so much worse. I hav... View more

I was hesitant about posting on here but my fear is getting the better of me and I don't know what to do. I'm having this massive fear when it comes to the dentist. I do suffer from anxiety in general which I think is making this so much worse. I have bad teeth. My mouth is over crowded and my brushing habits weren't the best when I was younger. I haven't been to the dentist because of this fear for quite some years. Recently I have noticed my two top wisdom teeth have come through. They aren't painful at all and I didn't even realise they were there but I can see there isn't enough room for them to come down to the same level as my other molars. I have also now started to worry that I can see a small part of one on the bottom left of my mouth. There is no pain top or bottom. I'm terrified that they are going to need to be removed. I know I need to go to the dentist and see what is happening but just the thought of being told they need to be removed is scaring me. My brain is just like panicking to find any way out of doing this. If anyone has any advice or thoughts that may help me at all please it would be appreciated. This fear is making me feel stupid. Thanks