Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

LadyS Derealisation
  • replies: 9

Hi guys, I recently had an incident where I took a drug and have since suffered from derealisation and feel like I’m stuck in a dream. I have lost a great job, my anxiety is bad and depression is also prevalent. I have lost a lot of confidence within... View more

Hi guys, I recently had an incident where I took a drug and have since suffered from derealisation and feel like I’m stuck in a dream. I have lost a great job, my anxiety is bad and depression is also prevalent. I have lost a lot of confidence within myself. I used to be so outgoing and loved life so much but since taking that drug I have spiralled down and feel like there is no hope for me. Everyday life feels like a dream and I feel like I can’t enjoy life to its fullest now. Has anyone had a similar situation happen to them or someone they know? Thanks guys.

WolfRito Does any one know why we get anxious?
  • replies: 2

I need to know why we get anxious if you know or think you know post it here

I need to know why we get anxious if you know or think you know post it here

Scruffy1 Will I ever be normal?
  • replies: 5

I know it’s like asking how long is a piece of string but is recovery possible and how long does it take on average when I have been suffering untreated anxiety for most of my life. I have sought treatment 12 months ago and have been having therapy o... View more

I know it’s like asking how long is a piece of string but is recovery possible and how long does it take on average when I have been suffering untreated anxiety for most of my life. I have sought treatment 12 months ago and have been having therapy on a regular basis and have made tiny improvements but the anxiety still has control and as much as I want to I can’t seem to let go of my past Will I ever be normal or am I destined to have this the rest of my life?

DanTheMan001 Scared of bullying?
  • replies: 3

Is there anyone here at school who is being bullied? I feel that I have to do everything right or else people will treat me like a joke. If there is anyone out there in the huge universe that is the internet, that would be awesome. Dan

Is there anyone here at school who is being bullied? I feel that I have to do everything right or else people will treat me like a joke. If there is anyone out there in the huge universe that is the internet, that would be awesome. Dan

Bec2014 Success stories - returning to work post-baby and rebuilding self-confidence
  • replies: 1

Hi Everyone, I'm a first-time mum who's returning to work slowly - freelancing one day a week plus a couple of days at home with bub. I've been excited to get back into things, but I am completely lacking any self-confidence (imposter syndrome at its... View more

Hi Everyone, I'm a first-time mum who's returning to work slowly - freelancing one day a week plus a couple of days at home with bub. I've been excited to get back into things, but I am completely lacking any self-confidence (imposter syndrome at its best) and I am quietly terrified at the thought of being social in an office of adults. Prior to baby I've struggled a lot with anxiety and depression, and I feel the mat leave 'gap' has left me feeling even more out of sorts. I have some work lined up, which I am happy about, but I am scared it won't last because I have next to no social skills and am lacking that self-belief. Enter: you lovely folk who have found success in regaining self-belief and overcoming social anxiety. At this point I am feeling pretty isolated about it all and I would love to hear of anyone who has some tried-and-tested tricks they can share. Thanks!

Jover58 Severe anxiety and panic disorder getting worse
  • replies: 7

Hi all, I am new here although I've been living with panic attacks most of my life. I am 58 now and, although I've never given up trying to live a normal life and manage to get by most of the time with medication, lately I am scared all the time. I r... View more

Hi all, I am new here although I've been living with panic attacks most of my life. I am 58 now and, although I've never given up trying to live a normal life and manage to get by most of the time with medication, lately I am scared all the time. I recently moved to the country hoping for a fresh start but I feel so isolated and I can't drive far before panic sets in. I have a supportive partner but ths is a living hell. I have pulled myself put of this kind of situation before with the help of a psychologist but here I don't even have a GP yet and I can't drive to see one. My partner just started a new job so he can't take me and even if I got a referral to a psych how would ai get there? I'm tired of being scared and feeling useless. Any help or support would be much appreciated. Thanks for listening.

tahlsy16 Anxiety about Leaving school
  • replies: 6

Hi So I know people have properly already made these posts, but I am just having so much trouble with trying to cope with the idea of leaving school and having to grow up. I am currently in year 12 and in my finale few weeks, and while all my friends... View more

Hi So I know people have properly already made these posts, but I am just having so much trouble with trying to cope with the idea of leaving school and having to grow up. I am currently in year 12 and in my finale few weeks, and while all my friends seem really happy and excited to leave, I can`t help but get really stressed. I`m struggling to focus in class and get my assignments done (which at first I thought was just procrastination but have come to learn that it`s something different where I just cant physically bring myself to do any school work), I`m finding it hard to sleep, I keep having constant panic attacks and overall just feeling really hopeless and alone and constantly on the verge of tears. I can`t stop thinking about how after I graduate, that`s it. Like I just go through life, watching the people around me die and struggle with life`s annoying bumps like money, relationships and trying to afford everything. I keep stressing myself out with the thought that I need to get a job, and I need to be able to afford a house and food, and that I am going to have so many annoying challenges to go through, and I am starting to wonder if it`s worth it all. I`ve seen physiologists in the past due to anxiety and depression, and recently depersonalisation. I keep having these episodes where everything appears fake, and that I am just having a vivid dream. I am having difficulty remembering whether things that have happened where a dream or really happened. I also keep getting hung up on the thought that everything that has happened to me, all the amazing laughs that I`ve shared with people, the concerts I`ve been to, just everything in general is all now just a memory. And i can`t help but think that everything that`s going to happen in the future will soon just be a memory. I`ve learned a few exercises that have helped me with panic attacks mainly, but I don`t have anything to help me long term. Any advice on how to go about this would be so helpful. Thank you.

kned Loss of identity and trying to figure my new path out
  • replies: 6

I am currently struggling to find myself regarding my career and overall purpose in life. I've found myself in a place where I am a full time mum, at home with my 2 beautiful children and a baby on the way. The career I once had, is no longer really ... View more

I am currently struggling to find myself regarding my career and overall purpose in life. I've found myself in a place where I am a full time mum, at home with my 2 beautiful children and a baby on the way. The career I once had, is no longer really there due to sector changes. I also don't know whether I want to go back to anything similar. I feel burnt-out from that field. There were many good aspects but also many that were challenging and I just don't have the energy for them plus my home life now. My family say this is a perfect time for me to look at studying something new. However I have no idea what I want to study! Every day (when the kids nap/are at preschool) I try to figure out what I want to do but just go around in circles. Does anyone have any advice on how to stop this going around in circles? Because it makes me anxious that I just cant figure out my life!!

Downandout1 Anxiety -meds and family
  • replies: 2

Ive been having anxiety the last few weeks and went to my doc today to discuss it. He gave me medication and I'm going to make a mental health care plan tomorrow...also, my parents dont think its anxiety, they think its my heart...ive been to a cardi... View more

Ive been having anxiety the last few weeks and went to my doc today to discuss it. He gave me medication and I'm going to make a mental health care plan tomorrow...also, my parents dont think its anxiety, they think its my heart...ive been to a cardiologist and it was fine...they just don't understand. I feel alone and scared.

Xanderman96 What am I doing wrong?
  • replies: 1

Hi, I’m 22 and I fell like shit and feel lonely 80% of the time. I act like I’m in the greatest mood round my family and work colleagues but I am not. All I do is sit around doing FA such as eating, playing PlayStation and the only times I go out is ... View more

Hi, I’m 22 and I fell like shit and feel lonely 80% of the time. I act like I’m in the greatest mood round my family and work colleagues but I am not. All I do is sit around doing FA such as eating, playing PlayStation and the only times I go out is for work or to go to the movies and that’s it. I lie to my parents about having friends when I have none. I NEED another person who I can share my thoughts with and also give my heart to someone (girlfriend) and for her to give me her love but no I’m a fat person who does nothing who eats constantly and obviously no one likes (other than my family obviously) ive told two girls and work that I have feelings for them, one called me an idiot and the other who I fell in love with and wished she would said yes told me no. Maybe I’m just one of those people that people talk to and become acquaintances not friends. Like I message them and say hey did you wanna do something but they are always busy or to be quite frank don’t want to do anything with me. I have photosensitive epilepsy so I can’t go to clubs or pubs too meet new people or hanging out with colleagues. as I said, I need that someone to love and for them to love me back but no one will and sorry but that SUCKS i was hoping to come on here for some help, I’m not suicidal or anything but I’m getting to the point of breakdown, what should I do?