Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

calmseeker Physical illness or anxiety?
  • replies: 13

Hi, Got my knickers in a twist trying to work out if my symptoms are anxiety or something else, and google just scares me when I seek clarification! Tried speaking with GP about symptoms and instead of relief I have found myself even more frustrated.... View more

Hi, Got my knickers in a twist trying to work out if my symptoms are anxiety or something else, and google just scares me when I seek clarification! Tried speaking with GP about symptoms and instead of relief I have found myself even more frustrated. Ocular migraines, dizziness, nausea, forgetfulness, insomnia, headaches, numbness, panic. Anxiety? Something else? Trying to get some answers so I can get some relief but I am feeling a little let down by my doc (nice guy). At least after three years of suffering these symptoms he sent me for an MRI. Feeling a little overwhelmed today I guess....

Truetomyself I am just exhausted and lost
  • replies: 5

Hi I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to help and read. I have been struggling with anxiety and depression over a long period of my life and I am in my mid 30's. I have been thinking about a few things and I really don't know how to go abo... View more

Hi I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to help and read. I have been struggling with anxiety and depression over a long period of my life and I am in my mid 30's. I have been thinking about a few things and I really don't know how to go about it so I turn to here. My experiences have been positive. I have had 2 break downs and the one thing that really gets to me as I get older are feeling the tremors, especially in my hands. I can just have days where I am so shaky and have no idea what to do with my hands. Today I sat and just grasped them together. My whole body can get shaky at times. There is no p panic attack. It just trembled. It is frustrating and tiring. If you have any ideas please let me know and I would so appreciate any tips. Also there have been more bad then good days the last few weeks. I am just not myself. I know my job ended and I did fall down but I got back up considering how I usually am. But I am starting to wonder and get frustrated with the roller coaster of anxiety and depression. I am up and down. I am starting with a new psychiatrist in the new year and am seeing a counsellor as psychologists just didn't help . My family has a really bad genetic pre disposition for major depression and anxiety at an extreme level. I just don't know or want to have to deal with this forever, but I think I will. I know there are ways to help and I have tried so many. I know medications have to be changed as the body gets use to them and I just wonder when this will all be over with. I don't know why so many people suffer with this and it seems to not look like improving. The stigma is still there and it is frustrating. Even if I see a new GP as I have I feel like I am proving myself not to be another pill popping junkie. I hate proving and explaining myself. Having depression and anxiety is a job. I am hoping to start work in the new year and pick up my study again. Because you have to have that piece of paper to show you can do it. I have a degree but I want to move into a new field but it seems my mental illness gets in the way. I have tried mindfulness, exercise, using phone lines, attending group sessions and the list goes on. I am not trying to be negative but I just don't want to be stuck with this forever or stuck full stop. For Christmas I would just want my present to be my anxiety and depression to go away. Thank you for reading and helping. I truly appreciate it.

Maq Can I hurt others during panic attack
  • replies: 7

So, I had a couple of panic attacks this year. These are triggered and isolated to my interactions with my husband. This close to Christmas, my GP is on leave and I don't want to see another GP. My counsellor can't see me until next week. Last night ... View more

So, I had a couple of panic attacks this year. These are triggered and isolated to my interactions with my husband. This close to Christmas, my GP is on leave and I don't want to see another GP. My counsellor can't see me until next week. Last night I had another panic attack. But was able to control my symptoms and look after my toddler for three hours as my husband went to play soccer. On his return, he expressed that he is worried about his and the toddler's safety and doesn't want to leave the child alone with me. For me this is the biggest insult. I wi follow-up with the medical professionals - can anyone here tell me if I can physically hurt my loved ones during or after a panic attack. Does it effect my ability to be a mother?

Bella_93 Dealing with anxiety triggers
  • replies: 3

Hey everyone, When I had a breakdown back in August 2018, my brain created a scenario up in my head to cover the fact that my anxiety was going through the roof about family members causing trouble. Now this trigger to my breakdown is what keeps my a... View more

Hey everyone, When I had a breakdown back in August 2018, my brain created a scenario up in my head to cover the fact that my anxiety was going through the roof about family members causing trouble. Now this trigger to my breakdown is what keeps my anxiety occuring even though I know its not real. Any tips on how to deal with this? Muchly appreciated!

NixonQueen Social Anxiety, low self esteem nightmare
  • replies: 3

Hi there, I’m new to these forums. I thought I’d have a read and see if what I’m feeling is real and why I’m feeling the way I am long story short, I’ve always had difficulty making new friends I’ve always clung onto a couple of really good friends, ... View more

Hi there, I’m new to these forums. I thought I’d have a read and see if what I’m feeling is real and why I’m feeling the way I am long story short, I’ve always had difficulty making new friends I’ve always clung onto a couple of really good friends, however I can never seem to make my own. I have many acquaintances, but always feel as if though I’m not good enough to be their friend or that I’m not interesting enough and it deflates my self esteem and I give up on it. I crave social interactions but at the same time it scares me and I don’t know why. I have recently started seeing a guy who is really nice, we get along really well. He is a social butterfly And has so many friends that when he invites me to his gatherings I get so much anxiety about it. I worry about what people would think of me, whether I’m going to say something awakened or whether people might think I’m weird and bland because I’m a shy quiet drawn back person and I hate it. I hate feeling that way. it makes me want to break up with him and avoid it all together. I’ve been to a few gatherings now and I made myself go and it wasn’t as bad as I thought but I still sit there and worry about what people think of me, I find myself scratching my fingers and I notice it and stop myself but I want it to end. what do I do? my whole life I’ve been like this, I’m almost 30 and I just want to enjoy my life and make friends and live life to the fullest but it’s really hard

Nyny94 OCD taking over my life!
  • replies: 5

Recently I developed a chemical contamination OCD , I feel huge amounts of guilt and fear that I'm going to posion people I love or be poisoned. I recently moved and after finding cockroach feces made the mistake of resorting to something I previousl... View more

Recently I developed a chemical contamination OCD , I feel huge amounts of guilt and fear that I'm going to posion people I love or be poisoned. I recently moved and after finding cockroach feces made the mistake of resorting to something I previously used at home Pineoclean wipes the tropical blossom ones, I've used them before. But this time after using them I developed a crippling intrusive thought and now I'm terrified to use anything t h ey touched including the stove , benches and sink. I've suddenly developed this crippling fear that because I sprayed the tap with vinegar that it might have had chemical residue that is now in the water so I'm afraid. Not to mention my partner doesn't like chemicals so I'm feeling hopeless and guilty, I'm having these terrifying thoughts of posioning my self or someone I love because of my action s and I'm blaming myself big time. The biggest fear is unknown, I went to call the number on the back of the wipes but nearly vommitted from panic. I know I'm probably worried for nothing, but I can't stop my intrusive thoughts, I've reconsidered replacing the whole tap and sink but I'm renting. It's frustrating the crap out of my boyfriend, but I'm so terrified I've contaminated things and I have myself to blame. This OCD is my worst enemy! I'm seeing a dr but I'm terrified to use my own things in my rental as I'm feeling unsafe and trying to tell my partner not to use them only frustrates him. I can't help but think I'm responsible for all this , and I shouldn't have cleaned with the wipes at all , the guilds eating me too !!! I'm afraid and stressed out to the point I feel miserable and hopeless and like an idiot

SilvaLady Anxiety of not getting a job
  • replies: 11

Hello, I know that there a couple of threads on anxiety and work. I have unemployed close to 5 weeks, but have been looking for jobs in the aged care sector. I have joined couple of agencies, being told that I would get shifts. So far I haven't been ... View more

Hello, I know that there a couple of threads on anxiety and work. I have unemployed close to 5 weeks, but have been looking for jobs in the aged care sector. I have joined couple of agencies, being told that I would get shifts. So far I haven't been getting shifts. I have applied for close to 10 aged care places, but only 2 have replied that I wasn't successful. A friend told me that they would put in a word in for me, but so far I haven't heard a thing. My anxiety levels go through the roof at times, and my mouth feels dry most of the day (although I drink plenty of water). I like to work, as it makes me feel like that contributing to the community. I don't know how much longer I can cope with this. I stay in regular touch with some friends, but sometimes I feel like a burden as they jobs and family. Thanks for reading, SilvaLady

jackf Post-Pet-Adoption-Anxiety. Does it get better?
  • replies: 4

Hi all, I adopted a 9 week old rescue kitten 5 days ago, and with my beautiful furry friend also came a giant smack in the face of anxiety and remorse. I have never been a pet owner before, and certainly did not know everything there was to know abou... View more

Hi all, I adopted a 9 week old rescue kitten 5 days ago, and with my beautiful furry friend also came a giant smack in the face of anxiety and remorse. I have never been a pet owner before, and certainly did not know everything there was to know about how to raise a kitten prior to my adoption. While it is wonderful having a companion sometimes, and she really is a beautiful pet, I feel like my lifestyle has drastically changed and I feel my emotional state crumbling. Prior to my pet, I enjoyed living alone in my own (purchased) apartment. I absolutely love my alone time - it helps me unwind and settle myself. I need alone time to feel sane. Unfortunately I've realised that this lovely little feline has now taken over that precious alone time, and she constantly needs my attention. I can barely have 30 minutes before she's meowing, or jumping on me, or starting to chew on something she shouldn't be. I attend to her and give her what she needs, but I feel like I've sacrificed my own alone time. As a result I've had constant anxiety over the last several days, lack of sleep, panic, and bouts of depression. I imagine that this period is as much an adjustment for the kitten as it is for me, and that takes time. But I don't know if the long-term responsibility will mean I've sacrified something permanently. I have considered the heartbreaking option of giving her back, but I don't want this to be the solution. I want to explore everything else first. So, I ask pet owners - Have you experienced this before? Did it improve with time? As kittens grow older, are they more self-sufficient? Can I expect to have some alone time returned to me? Thanks in advance, Jac

ATHL2017 Quit your Job due to Anxiety and Depression
  • replies: 18

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but I have been a reader for a while now. I am currently working in a Government job making around 70k a year. I have suffer from social anxiety and depression due to my job. I feel like everything I do is judged and what... View more

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but I have been a reader for a while now. I am currently working in a Government job making around 70k a year. I have suffer from social anxiety and depression due to my job. I feel like everything I do is judged and what my appearance is against people I work with. I really want to quit my job to give me some time to heal and find a way to deal with my anxiety and depression but my family keeps saying how proud they are that I work for the Government and if I quit, I will disappoint them. If you guys have any tips on what I can do or what may help me improve my current situation, please let me know. Thank you for all you posts. Its very inspiring to know that others have been in my situation but have fought through.

LesDave Managing my Anxiety Through 12 Months of Cyber Bullying
  • replies: 1

I would have been totally destroyed if not for the Beyond Blue forums during the past 12 months. The tips and tricks have helped me stay sane when some days I was sure I would end up curled on the floor. Thanks to those who had nice things to say to ... View more

I would have been totally destroyed if not for the Beyond Blue forums during the past 12 months. The tips and tricks have helped me stay sane when some days I was sure I would end up curled on the floor. Thanks to those who had nice things to say to my posts. The big takeaways for me were to try and stay in the present moment and use the acceptance and commitment therapy tricks. '' They really helped. So thanks folks. I figure I have a few more years of this bullying unless a miracle happens. The past few weeks have been difficult, my chest is tight with pain most days. But I get through. I have never let on what has happened. Basically some very nasty people created fake social media wrote things about on the internet in my name. When you search my name, the bad stuff comes up first. When employers search for me, the see the nasty things first - and of course they click on it, thus making it even more popular. Cyber bullies know how to manipulate the internet. Google's algorithm sees that people click on the nasty things and figure they are the most useful things to return in a search. Of course nobody clicks on the good stuff, otherwise it wouldn't be a problem. Anyway, to anyone else going through this, stay in the moment and stay close to what really matters.