Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Glenncoco88 Chest pain
  • replies: 18

Hi everyone im just finding it weird that I’ll wake up with discomfort with chest pains. Like I’ll move my body and the top of my chest hurts. I’m guessing it’s from my anxiety as I went to the hospital to check it out and they said I’m healthy but I... View more

Hi everyone im just finding it weird that I’ll wake up with discomfort with chest pains. Like I’ll move my body and the top of my chest hurts. I’m guessing it’s from my anxiety as I went to the hospital to check it out and they said I’m healthy but I’m just finding it weird to be waking up with this pain. Any suggestions or ideas why this is being brought on when I wake up?

Melancholy Yogini One Week to go before my Vaccination
  • replies: 12

I need some advice please. Before this second wave of Covid 2.0 smacked us in the face June this year, I booked in for my Covid vaccination - recommended for me was Pfizer. I couldn't get the location I wanted so I chose the main vaccination hub at S... View more

I need some advice please. Before this second wave of Covid 2.0 smacked us in the face June this year, I booked in for my Covid vaccination - recommended for me was Pfizer. I couldn't get the location I wanted so I chose the main vaccination hub at Sydney Olympic Park thinking this would be safer and easier, and the earliest appointment time for me was August. Yesterday I read and saw how busy this vaccination hub was due to people who are just showing up as well as those who already have appointments and my anxiety has hit the roof. I practice and teach yoga so have all the tools and have been practicing as many breathing techniques as I can think of but I feel the anxiety swelling inside me. The thought of being around that many people is making me physically sick and I cannot stop shaking. I have tried to see if I can call the vaccination centre to check if I have to wait in a line like the pictures would suggest however I can't speak to the clinic directly, I need to call the main Covid hotline. My appointment is next Friday, so I would just like some advice on anything different that may have worked for anyone who is reading this that I may not have tried before. I do not drink, smoke or do drugs of any kind so I am not on any medication. I always try to heal myself naturally when possible. Thank you for any advice x

Belle002 Work An
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone, Recently I started a new job at a local cafe in my town, and the business is only new and recently opened up. I’ve worked a lot of cafe jobs before, but never had so much anxiety working. The boss works with us and doesn’t tell me what s... View more

Hi everyone, Recently I started a new job at a local cafe in my town, and the business is only new and recently opened up. I’ve worked a lot of cafe jobs before, but never had so much anxiety working. The boss works with us and doesn’t tell me what she would like me to do or hasn’t outlined any expectations, so I go to work clueless on how the business operates. I was on till yesterday and was blamed for every wrong order when no one took time to stand their with me and show me Just needing some advice on how to tackle my next shift. Belle

Sasho Suffering From Anxiety And Depression
  • replies: 5

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and i have been suffering from Anxiety attacks lately and depression, i have been calling Beyond Blue almost everyday when i am felling down and depressed, the counsellor staff on the phone are amazing in supportin... View more

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and i have been suffering from Anxiety attacks lately and depression, i have been calling Beyond Blue almost everyday when i am felling down and depressed, the counsellor staff on the phone are amazing in supporting and advise, i am speaking to a psychologist over the phone once a week and they're getting me back on the right track slowly, it will be a tough times ahead, i am still going to work, volunteer at my local SES unit to support my local community even in what i am going through mentally, i have a great supporting family, i also use Lifeline as well when needed for support they're also amazing in supporting and i even call Beyond Blue so i can have a chat which makes me be on top of the world.

Rainshaddow Worried
  • replies: 112

Hi , new to this , don't know what to expect , suffer from anxiety and depression and C-PTSD , live alone out in rural Aus and just wanted to talk , some form of contact ,

Hi , new to this , don't know what to expect , suffer from anxiety and depression and C-PTSD , live alone out in rural Aus and just wanted to talk , some form of contact ,

Hannah_Georgia Anxiety: feeling guilty about it, apologising and feeling stupid.
  • replies: 2

Hello, I am struggling with anxiety (diagnosed GAD and medicated) yesterday I had my first anxiety attack in months. I’ve been so good at managing it but yesterday at work i cracked and had to step away from my job for a moment to compose my self and... View more

Hello, I am struggling with anxiety (diagnosed GAD and medicated) yesterday I had my first anxiety attack in months. I’ve been so good at managing it but yesterday at work i cracked and had to step away from my job for a moment to compose my self and get the tears under control and asked my supervisor to step in briefly. I was able to get back to work and continue my shift. However I feel awful about it, I'm embarrassed, guilty and uncomfortable and feel that I’m m incapable of working with my anxiety. But I’ve made the call to get a referral to get some more therapy sessions.

Rotang Is this anxiety. I feel sick to my stomach
  • replies: 12

Hi, so i’m new but i’m really seeking advice and some support… i compete in high levels of horse riding. this weekend i recently was in my competition and did something that embarrassed myself and everyone around me to the point that i couldn’t even ... View more

Hi, so i’m new but i’m really seeking advice and some support… i compete in high levels of horse riding. this weekend i recently was in my competition and did something that embarrassed myself and everyone around me to the point that i couldn’t even look at anyone because everyone saw it happen. it was my own fault, and it shouldn’t have happened but it did and i let myself down and the people i ride for down. i don’t know what to do with myself. the people i was around were telling me mistakes happen and that’s the only we i can learn and that i need to learn how to overcome my nerves in the competition and in general. since the incident happened, i have felt sick to my stomach. my throat feels so tight and my heart is pounding all the time. i don’t want to eat and i barely want to speak about what’s going on. i feel like i’m in a hole and i’ve tried so much to make myself stop feeling like this but nothing seems to be helping. i’ve missed school today because i simply cannot pull myself together enough. please help me abs give me advice. i’m really in a puddle.

Megz90 Health anxiety please help!!
  • replies: 6

Hi. I haven’t posted in here for a while. I suffer with bad heath anxiety, the last couple months ive have been getting facial flushes so i went onto google to try find what could be causing them and i came across something really bad and when i read... View more

Hi. I haven’t posted in here for a while. I suffer with bad heath anxiety, the last couple months ive have been getting facial flushes so i went onto google to try find what could be causing them and i came across something really bad and when i read it about it my anxiety just washed all over my body, i went to my GP the next day about it and she said she doesn’t think its that but she done some blood tests to try ease my anxiety, she called the other day with my results and its come back with high cortisol so she has now said she thinks i have something called Cushing’s syndrome, which has scared the absolute crap out of me. i am on medication to help but it isn’t working yet, every morning i wake up i can feel the anxiety wash over me. I can’t even leave the house, it’s impacting my whole life and I don’t know what to do. Please someone help me.

roseisanxious social anxiety and fear of the future
  • replies: 4

Hi, this is my first ever thread. I've always been a really shy kid but starting from around last year, my social anxiety has become really diffifult to deal with. I have absolutely no friends, no family friends that I'm actually close with, no schoo... View more

Hi, this is my first ever thread. I've always been a really shy kid but starting from around last year, my social anxiety has become really diffifult to deal with. I have absolutely no friends, no family friends that I'm actually close with, no school friends and no work friends because I don't have a job. (I can't even get a job because of how nervous I get). I've always had problems making friends. I can't even do simple things such as talking on the phone or ordering food without having a nervous breakdown. I also get terrible grades. I tell myself it's because of my social anxiety but in reality it's just my procrastination and laziness. This year school has mostly been in online learning, but even during online presentations, I have bad panic attacks (sweating, nausea, tingling, feelig dizzy, etc.) and most of the time I have to ask to do my presentation privately. I also feel like my teachers hate me because of my bad grades and lack of contribution in class. I can't even write emails without getting nervous. Another thing that's constantly on my mind is how I'm going to survive independantly in the future and if I'm ever going to find love. I'm scared that I won't be excepted into any university because of my bad grades, even though my parents are extremely strict about it. I also feel like lately I've become a really cynical person and that love feels completely out of reach for me. I can't tell if I'm depressed because I don't necessarily feel sad all the time, but sometimes I just feel hopeless and like I'm just floating on the planet and have no purpose. Sorry for the long paragraph, I just feel really overwhelmed with all my thoughts about school and life in general. I feel like there's still more to my thoughts that I can't explain properly.

JacintaMarie Anxiety hitting again
  • replies: 31

Hi again, my next thread, I went to sleep but now at 2:44am my anxiety has arrived again, I did something at work wrong and I hate myself for doing the wrong thing, I've lost perspective so I don't know if it's important or will fix itself. I wish I ... View more

Hi again, my next thread, I went to sleep but now at 2:44am my anxiety has arrived again, I did something at work wrong and I hate myself for doing the wrong thing, I've lost perspective so I don't know if it's important or will fix itself. I wish I would stop, I tell my brain to calm down but it doesn't. One of my triggers is making a mistake at work, of stuffing up, of not slowing down. I am annoyed at myself for doing it and hate that I seem to keep on doing it. Thank you for letting me get this out,