FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Workplace Bullying - How to cope when your CEO is bullying you? *Trigger Warning - bullying/rape/harassment *

IshaX
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I work for a not for profit - only 14 staff in total. Since commencing in 2017 I've been bullied constantly by a group of colleagues (4 who all work together in one department) & the CEO. They've left me out of work events & important decisions that grossly affect my job; blatantly ignored me at work; verbally abused me when I don't do what they want and constantly dump their work to me but when I try to be assertive & say I need to prioritise my own work they say I'm not a team player.

After several weeks of working 14 -16 hours days, 7 days a week (rather than my contractual 7.5 hr/5 day week) I tried speaking to the CEO in face-to-face meetings. As I want to make sure the issues I raise are addressed, I always follow meetings up with emails but the CEO has told me that I'm being incredibly rude by putting things discussed in meetings in follow-up emails even though they are work related. I have told her that I feel this is best practice as issues can then be referred to & better actioned in future but she says she doesn't want anything in writing & because she's been in "senior positions for much longer than (I) have" she is a better judge of what is best and her ruling is that: "issues in the workplace should always be kept off paper".

Additionally, 3 weeks after commencing employment, one of my co-workers (who has continued to bully me severely every day, for what has now been nearly a year) waited until I was alone in the office before yelling at me & saying that there were no issues with the way things are being run and that I was/am "the problem" with the workplace. I record the time/dates and all bullying incidents. Yet despite me having another senior colleague raise the bullying issue with my CEO & personally raising the same issues in a separate meeting that I was begrudgingly dragged into (because the same bully was trying to undermine my work yet again), the CEO has said I need to accept that the person is just "abrupt", that there is no bullying & I'm the one who needs to change my attitude to be more of a team player. My CEO has not only ignored multiple bullying incidents I've experienced but also forced me to work on a project with someone who raped me - despite my 2 regular doctors & psychiatrist writing letters stating I was to have nothing to do with the project.
Am feeling so hopeless as I need my job to live but the constantly bullying is pervading into & destroying every aspect of my life.

I really need advice &/or support.
2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi IshaX, welcome

I'm sorry you have found yourself in this position a situation that, having read your post twice, seems to be unfixable. In fact it wouldn't surprise me that they are doing all this so you will leave of your own free will rather than the minefield of a sacking.

You can do the regular things like union discussions if you have one, fight on, complain etc but when a workplace gets that toxic then most people would leave. I don't think things will improve.

So in short that's what I would do. Start looking for work. Even two part time jobs might be better.

All the best. TonyWK

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi IshaX,

I'm so very sorry to ready your story, especially the part about being bullied so much you are now having to work with someone who raped you! That must be horrific.

I do not know how to help you apart form suggesting you call the Beyondblue helpline on 1300 22 4636 where you can ask the Support Staff to listen to you. They may have some suggestions or at least offer a listening ear.

Returning to your Dr and explaining what is happening might be beneficial. The Dr may have some suggestion of people who can help you as well.

It is extremely unfortunate the work place is so toxic for you. I know I have left work places instead of put up with the culture and way they are run. It is not always easy to do though.

You could try phoning Lifeline as well, they may have some suggestions for you.

Hope you find some answers and you are able to keep safe!

From Dools