FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Looking for someone to talk to - a teen or in their 20s

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hi, I'm Tayla and I'm 20.

I'm just looking for someone to chat with who's in their teens or 20s, as the post suggests.

It's really hard for me because there's nowhere or any way for me to meet people where I live close to my age.

I'd love if someone could reply just for someone to talk with and hopefully become Forum Friends somehow, if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Tayla.

29 Replies 29

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi mb20lover,

I'd love to chat if you'd like! Let's be forum friends! We talk so much already heheee

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hi everyone!

continuousventer - no worries at all, and thanks for the kind words!

Tay100 - sure, how are you?

Tayla

Hi mb20lover,

I'm ok, a little sleepy but like a good sleepy because I was pretty productive. I mean, I actually got some pasta at Coles today, so yay! I've also been catching up with things on BB and trying to do some "live" volunteering, but everything is shutting down/cancelling. Thank goodness for e-volunteering! It's a shame like awesome events like The Garden and Flower show are not running, sighhh.

What about yourself?

Hi Tay, that's good to hear that you were productive and got some pasta, hopefully you can get other things you're looking for if you need them. It's crazy and over the top I think, ugh. I'm okay, I wish I could be more productive and have motivation but it's so hard for me, sigh.

Can you please tell me more about the e-volunteering, like your Badge, the blueVoices thing, what it involves and so forth? Sounds interesting, I looked it up but didn't understand it because I'm stupid.

Garden and Flower Shows are nice, I'd like to go to some one day. Take care. And I haven't done much, as usual really.

Tayla

Hey mb20lover

I knowww productivity and motivation can be such illusive things sometimes, huh? Sigh.

The BlueVoices is a really good program: essentially, it ensures BB is built and is improved by by the people that use its services, generally those with a lived experience of mental health. Check out this link: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-involved/bluevoices.

As for the rest of my e-volunteering, a lot of it involves Skyping/phone calling people who can't get out as much, need social support or are socially isolated. I also do a lot of work on different online mental forums too! When I was in high school and early undergrad I also did freelance writing which sometimes involved writing about mntal health too. E volunteering is about using technology in some way to give back to the community the same way you do "live" volunteering.

Are you thinking of getting into e volunteering?

That's great to hear, thanks for explaining it to me Tay. Is e-volunteering hard? I got an email from the mods explaining it to me and they said I can withdraw any time I want to if I join and I don't have to participate in everything and there's a special login page for Blue Voices Members too. is it fun, hard even?

Awesome, what other stuff do you do on other forums? Good on you!

Tayla

Hi mb20lover,

I love BlueVoices, it's a great "behind the scenes/collaborative" space, and you only have to participate in the things you want too, everything is optional. I don't think e volunteering is any harder or easier than other types of volunteering-you can plan it around your schedule a little bit more but you still need to put in the hard work and dedication-it's fun though and the opportunities are so diverse though! Like, you aren't restricted by distance or skill set or anything usually!

Keep the questions coming 🙂

Hey Tay, thanks. What sort of stuff do you do on there, is it easy? Sorry for so many questions but thanks for answering them.

Tayla

Heyy mb20lover

No worries at all, your curiosity is so good!

My chance to work as a BV member has been a little limited, as I only joined recently and now this is virus stuff is happening so live events are being cancelled. So far I have only promoted BV at a festival I attended in January, actually. But I read the newsletter I get sent via email and hope to be able to do more work in the future when more stuff is actually available hehee.

What makes you so interested in e volunteering?

Hi Tay, interesting. Can you do stuff just online rather than going to events? I'm just curious about what Blue Voices do, and because I don't do much other than walking, colouring in, going out with my parents, have GP and Psychiatrist appointments and listening to music, and going on the forums.

Take care, thanks for explaining it to me.

Tayla