FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I feel isolated and alone when I'm not

Jackaboy
Community Member

Hi, I'm new to this but figured I'd give talking about it a go because nothing else has helped. Essentially I'm a 17 year old and I've been suffering from depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember it's always been pretty bad but recently I caught covid and it got 10 times worse than I thought it could ever get. I didn't even end up sick but ended up just sleeping all the time and now that I'm not sick anymore I still sleep all the time, and even though I'm no longer isolated due to covid no matter how often I hang out with people and talk about my issues with friends or family I feel worse everyday. I know I'm not even alone in my situation but still I feel so alone and sad all the time and yet even feeling sad feels better than nothing which is how I usually end up feeling. Anyway I appreciate people taking the time to read this even if this doesn't end up helping. Thanks for listening to my issues.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Dear Jackaboy,

Believe it, by just talking about it, you have already started the process of figuring out what you need to start feeling better. We commend you for finding the strength to start the process.

We understand that after being sick from Covid, you have been struggling to find the energy to do anything. You have been talking with your friends, but you haven't been getting anything out of the connection.

Our supportive community is one of the places which might help. As many of us have been through similar struggles with anxiety and depression, we may well have better understanding of what you are experiencing than your friends, and we want you to know that you are supported. So, when you tell us what you are feeling, we really can relate.

We would like to encourage you to call kids help line on 1800 55 1800. you might also consider downloading their app so you can more easily connect with them whenever you need to.

You can also call our counsellors on 1300 22 4636. Our service is available anytime, day or night, every day of the year.

Please remember that we are always here for you. Post whenever you wish.

Warm regards,

Sophie M.

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Jackaboy 🙂

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your experience. I think it is awesome that you have identified that you have been feeling down and lonely and have reached out!

It is not uncommon (especially for people around your age) to start feeling low, even if there is no reason to. Back when I was 19, I had everything going for me and was having a great time at university. But seemingly out of nowhere I was blindsided by a lack of energy and motivation that left me almost incapable of studying. I found out from my GP and eventually a psychiatrist that I might be experiencing depression and when I was treated accordingly I was able to find my groove again.

I'm not trying to suggest that you have depression but it is definitely worth reaching out to a professional about your feelings because, as you mentioned, you have tried so many other things. Of course, a sense of community is a huge protective factor and something I hope you can find here on these forums as well. 

In terms of professional help, your GP is always a great place to start as they can identify whether you might need a psychologist or counsellor. Alternatively, headspace is a great option for 12 - 25  year olds as they offer a walk in/call in service for young people who are experiencing exactly what you are. During your first visit they will have a chat about you're experiencing and then from there will refer you to one of their lovely clinicians. If you are curious about the service or wondering where your closest centre might be here you can more info here: https://headspace.org.au/headspace-centres/ 

If you are ever in crisis please don't hesitate to reach out to the services that Sophie mentioned above. Also, please feel free to let us know you get on. We have a great and supportive community here who would love to hear about you. 

Hope this helps

Bob