FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling overwhelemed, stress and phone addiction

MoodedOut
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Hope we're all well. I've recently been really struggling with university work even though I'm in 3rd year. I have been trying really hard but it seems to be getting nowhere, I feel like I'm wasting time, and to make it worse as a coping mechanism I go on my phone and endlessly scroll through social media which is making me feel even more worse.

I guess there's not much I wanted to do, but just to have an outlet to get it all out. Hopefully, this forum ends up being a better coping mechanism than endless social media and I appreciate you all for hearing me out 🙂

7 Replies 7

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi moodedout and welcome to the forum. Well done for writing your first post.

Many can relate to how distracting social media bneing so addictive and easy to use.

There is a thread that has ideas of how to cope with FB.

Topic: Facebook...The Good or the Bad...Your Say!

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi MoodedOut,

I welcome you to the bb forums and hope you find something helpful in Quirky's reference.
(BTW, just copy the topic Facebook...The Good or the Bad...Your Say! into the Search Box at the top of this page to find links).

Apart from locking your phone in a vault, you could possibly use its allure to help you with your studies...

• Work out what a fair proportion of time you need for Uni Stuff versus Social Media (eg 3 hours on Study = 1 hour of Social time [3:1]) - this ratio might provide an incentive to build your 'social time credits'
  • Set a timer on your phone if you feel undisciplined
  • Keep a log of your Uni study objectives for the day with time estimates, and reward yourself with a pat on the back, a favourite treat, and well a earned social time indulgence.

The bonus is that you won't be feeling guilty (which drains motivation) about what should a pleasurable diversion from studies - you need to take a break because, not instead, of your obligations.

Regards,

t.

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi MoodedOut

Ah, what you are saying is certainly relatable. Social media can be great, a positive distraction, but can certainly get overwhelming and add to the anxiety you already have, as you say. Maybe we could brainstorm other coping mechanisms that are healthier, in that they energise you and make you feel better in the long run? Let us know 🙂

MoodedOut
Community Member

Thank you everyone and for listing some ways of helping! I was feeling really stressed and bummed out yesterday, but my friend gave me some really good advice of just taking all of today to finish my assignment, and I would feel so much better after it.

And I Did! I was glad I didn't do my usual jumping around from one thing to the other. It certainly wasn't perfect, but it got done, and that in my opinion is a good first step 🙂

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi MoodedOut, thanks for your comment, because as you say, we can be jumping up and down on the same spot, achieving nothing, theoretically speaking, simply because it can take a while to get over the pain and realisation of what we are actually suffering from, instead you're using the phone.

What this may do is take you to different sites where you know your friends may be or have been suggested for you to visit, but unable to for various reasons.

You could also contact Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 if you're aged 25 or under, but happy you've posted here.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi. I have been studying for a while and one thing to look at potentially is when you are scrolling through the social media stuff. For example, I can do something similar in YT as I am starting an assignment. This is because I cannot find a starting point or finding resources to use. And rather than getting stuck in that I can't find anything, get a hit of YouTube and good. Except for the fact at the end of the day I have not accomplished much. Or it could be a time of day thing and working out when you are more focused.

A lecturer also told me that 2 hours of uninterrupted study is like 8 hours interrupted. Which also means no phone etc

There are many different ways to deal with it, and have to find out what works for you.

Hi MoodedOut

I'm happy to hear that you took a day for you and what you needed to do! It sounds like you are in a better place on your journey- and you are right, it's a great first step. What might be the next step for you? Feel free to discuss with everyone here, if you like- we are a caring, non-judgemental space 🙂