FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling

Wilma1
Community Member
I was here a few years ago. So much has happened in such a short space of time. Moved twice, and the usual struggles with the complexities of mental illness. I'll leave it there for now.
12 Replies 12

Wilma1
Community Member

Hi there IsaJetts, hope you're winning!!!!!!

Im reading a very interesting book atm. The inflamed mind. Talks about how our inflamed bodies affects our mental state. I know that nothing new, but he seem to think anti inflammitory meds can help depression in the future. Its research right now.

I like his thinking regarding not separating mental and physical illnesses. One body with issues. That would eventually elevate us from the mental stigmas.

Anyway, it's going to be a very hot day here in my part of Tasmania, so no walks today, sitting by the fridge.

Hope you day is okish.

Found your thread. 🙂 It's short so I even managed to read it all. Good conversation you've got going regarding perspectives on mental health and methods of managing it. Your book sounds really interesting, like the beginning of a more holistic approach to mental health. All things in the body/mind are connected, so it's certainly an avenue worth exploring. I wonder if anything useful has been discovered.

IsaJett commented about "letting emotions wash over you". I have come across the concept in texts on mindfulness (information in my app The Art of Being Human), with a bit more depth to it. Reading the whys and wherefores behind the idea really gave it power for me and made me much more receptive to the practice, and it may help you, too.

When we feel things, including negative things, there are two typical responses - 1) get lost in it, and 2) fight it. Of course getting lost in it feeds the emotion, drawing in memories, worries and thoughts that add to and intensify it. What is less immediately obvious is that actively fighting what you feel has a similar effect. I've always been a fighter, so that piqued my interest. I've likened what the article said to surface tension. You know how when you walk into water or come at it just right with a dive, you go in without much trouble? But hit it or throw yourself in, surface tension makes it fight back. Falling into water from high enough can break bones. Emotions are just like that. Pass through them gently or let them flow around you, they don't harm you. Fight them, they fight back - the harder you fight, the worse they mess you up. I try to remember that when I'm struggling with strong negative feelings. I tell them "yeah, I know you're there, I don't like you" and I just get about my business and let them get about theirs. Sooner or later they do pass and I'm not bloodied by them the way I am when I fight. Anyway, hope that's helpful.

Blue, you're up at an ungodly hour. It's normal for me, but how do you work with little sleep.

You have always had a very interesting way of looking at things. Your thoughts regarding diving into water or walking into it makes a lot of sense. I think I get overwhelmed with my emotions, taken over. They dive into me, or sometimes it can feel that way. I have learned through experience though, lots of experience, that they do pass, and though they are intense, they are not necessarily facts. I guess like they are thoughts, not always reality, though real enough while experiencing them.

Im reading another book atm. Always trying to find answers!!!!!!