FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hello

amygdaline
Community Member

Hi everyone.

I'm a middle aged male, recently separated with 2 young kids. I've managed moderate to severe depression (and to a lesser extent anxiety) for most of my adult life. My depression doesn't change who I am, during an episode it just tends me towards grinding anhedonia and anergia. It has probably made me a hopeless husband, but I'm a great dad. After separation, it's been impossible to get any quality time with the kids because my wife has weaponised my mental health against me (ie. unsafe, incompetent, etc). So the black dog is back again. Anyone else been in similar situations and pulled through?

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Well, not quite. 1996 had 2 kids 7 and 4yo after 11 years marriage and narcissism etc led to one and only one suicide attempt. One week later left the family home, yep heartbreaking, but I was free from her clutches. Built my own home etc. all prior to diagnosis 13 years later of bipolar, depression, dysthymia.

All legal settlements are different however I believe (I'm not a lawyer but have a background of court attendance/investigations) that your ex would be compelled to provide proof of how having a certain mental health issue could have safety and care ramifications with you and your children. I believe it's hogwash , a means to separate you and your kids which is very common.

So, my advice-

• Seek a family court solicitor to legally bind her to a court ruling of access to your kids
  • Dont forget to include extended periods in school holidays
  • Receipts for payments to your ex/child support, clothes etc (always keep receipts)

Your depression. Enduring many years before your youngest is 18yo is difficult. However I can say now that my kids are 33 and 29yo that time does go quickly and once that period is over you dont have to have anything to owe your ex, no obligations. In fact for 14 years I struggled with her nastiness so when my youngest reached 18 I sent her a message not to ever contact me again. She hasnt. 

Be aware of new relationships, a potential partner should ideally be a nurturing type, one that likes all children. I had a 10 years relationship that turned out a jealous step mum from hell.

Attend motivation lectures, seek out distraction and have fun. You cannot change the situation, but the rest of your time balance the turmoil with laughter, resist her negativity and guilt tripping.

The best praise you'll ever get - Beyond Blue Forums - 134999

Relationship split - Beyond Blue Forums - 359242

GUILT the tormentor - Beyond Blue Forums - 321604

Repost anytime

TonyWK

Animallover91_rach
Community Member

That’s hard, keep going and enjoy the moments you get with your kids, it’s not the amount of time it’s the quality and they are always connected to you ❤️