FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hello to everyone

Rossi1968
Community Member
Hi. I would like to talk to people who suffer with anxiety. I have never spoken to someone with this problem before just doctors and phycologists. I have had a setback due to my dumb brain I stopped taking my meds and that was a mistake. I’m now dealing with anxiety most of the time and it is very hard. Life becomes unbearable when you are scared all the time. I’m waiting on some help from the anxiety disorder clinic but I just wanted to reach out to anyone who would like to chat and maybe give me some hope that one day I will live a better life. Thanks
49 Replies 49

I’m glad that what I say can help you in some way 😊

I’m not a psychologist lol I’ve just had plenty of experience with anxiety and received a lot of help from health professionals so I’m happy to share that with others 😊

Thats great! Your first appointment on Friday I hope it goes well…. Please let us know how you go…. Just keep persevering some times the first one is the hardest but don’t stop keep going.

Wow yes that shows great resilience what happened to you when you were on your motor bike…… that’s a great thing to remember to keep up your resilience, if you can get through that then yes you can get through this….

It would be great for you to ride your motorbike again…… why can’t you now?

I still have a bike and try my best to ride but it’s just one of those things I’ve always struggled with. I hope this makes sense.
I was riding all my life and then the day came when I went to see my doctor having what I thought was heart trouble and after a very full on physical the doc said it was panic attacks and anxiety.
then I was ok and it was that time of year we would all ride down to Phillip island to watch MotoGP. We had a big night on the drink when we arrived. And that night after going to bed I had a panic attack that lasted for hours.
I got up the next day and was a mess.
I had to stay at the place we’re we stayed each year and missed the whole weekend of racing. It was terrible my friends didn’t know what to do I had to ride home which took 2 days. And I never went back to MotoGP it was so sad.
and I think I have some subconscious thing with motorbikes now. I buy new bikes and have dramas riding then I sell them. Then I buy another one and try again. The brand new I’ve got in my shed has been ridden twice. And both times I’ve had dramas. I ok on short rides but my dumb brain always starts thinking wrong on long rides and the next thing I know I’m on the side of the road with dramas. It’s not like I’m not trying it’s just hard with the bike.
It’s very hard if you panic on a bike you just have to stop immediately. And hope you can make it home after the worst anxiety has slowed down

That must have been really hard on you Rossi1968, I understand when it comes to long rides on the motor bikes.

It sounds like motorbikes is something you love but your anxiety around motorbikes is making it hard for you.

When I was going through severe anxiety OCD I’d have horrible intrusive thoughts I thought to myself I’m not going to withdraw from the things I love because my anxiety around those things is hard……… I understand it’s really hard to do things that our anxiety is telling us not to……… instead I’d embrace those things and defy my anxiety……. Even though my anxiety was yelling at me…..Anxiety bought me to my knees it really did, it was the hardest thing I have ever been through it was horrible! But also going through severe anxiety OCD also bought me blessings it has made me the person I am today and I don’t regret having this condition….. I believe we go through certain challenges in life to learn from them… 🙏 I’ve learned so much…….. sometimes it’s good to ask yourself what is this trying to teach me? By doing this it can change your mindset towards the situation.
I had a good friend say to me when I was in the grips of my condition…….
“ it won’t be for nothing “ and my friend was correct I see so many blessings now…… Ive gained a lot of self growth and so will you and this won’t be for nothing..

Sometimes storms come into our lives to clear our paths… 😊

Keep pushing forward 💪

Just another thing Rossi1968,

Its not your fault that your brain wonders in the way it does……. But you really CAN get control of your mind and bring it into line so it works for you and not against you.

How? It takes practice………

When you find your mind wonders off onto something that you don’t want it on … you need to recognise when it has done this and then bring it back to the present moment.

If you are riding your bike and your mind wonders gently bring it back to the present moment…… what can you hear? What does your helmet feel like on your head? How do your gloves feel on your hands?

I highly recommend you start meditation….. ASAP….. when I first started meditation I use to think to myself what’s this going to do? But after doing it for a while it taught me that I’m not my thoughts but the watcher of my thoughts….. I can now sit back and observe my thoughts and not get caught up in them … you can learn this too……, look for a guided meditation for learning to watch your thoughts and do it every day! I strongly encourage it…

It all takes practice… sometimes if I feel anxious I just revert back to what I learned in meditation and every thing begins to flow again…..

Practice slowing down your breathing

Practice reading positive affirmations and practice gratefulness this helps to renew your mind….

You will get there .. I believe you will regain your confidence on your bikes…. You just need to be taught the skills to manage your anxiety… and they are skills you need to practice them so they become engrained into your daily life….

Life will get better for you, stay positive…..

One day at a time.

You are so inspirational the things we have chatted about always helps me through the day.
you must be a great person to know in real life.
I will try your ideas on meditation.
I just need the will power to stick to it. I’m not good at things like that. I think when I’m in my bubble of safety and I’m not anxious I’m happy to just have that.
but there is more to life and I’m not living life enough.
I truly need to have the balls to step out of my comfort zone. Stop being scared and start living again.
thanks lots for your support

Thank you Rossi1968 for your kind words I’m glad that I have helped you in some way.

My mindset that I have now comes from the mental health journey that I went through, it’s what helped to pull me out of the grips of OCD.

Mental strength comes from the hardships that we go through I believe,they teach us things in unexplainable ways…….. just keep an open mind and watch your world unfold in front of you…..

The thoughts that we create in our mind becomes our reality so try to put great empowering thoughts in your mind…….. if your mind gives you something negative throw something positive back ….. it takes practice but we really can renew our minds…

Meditation is great it’s as simple as googling one for learning to watch your thoughts and then listening to it and do what it tells you and in time you will see the benefits ….. once your in a routine of doing meditation you will want to do it.

I understand when we are in the grips of anxiety our fight or flight response comes on and it’s hard to move out of your comfort zone but believe me it’s within you to do this you are so much stronger than it….. your in the drivers seat …… you can decide what you want to do… don’t allow fear to stop you keep pushing the boundaries because if you don’t you won’t know how far you can go……. Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear…. Believe in yourself…….. it’s within you……. Take it a day at a time and build on it..

I read this quote the other day….

“ Anxiety and fear lie a lot”

“And they do not care about the things you care about “

I hope it helps you to move forward in some way…..

💪 keep pushing forward

I love that quote. It’s so true.
I just wanted to say it’s been 4 days with no dramas. And it has honestly been with your help.
I have never meet another person with anxiety that seems odd because there are so many people who suffer with it.
you have honestly blown me away how honest and helpful you are.
If it is ever possible I can help you in some way that would be great.

That’s great Rossi1968 I’m glad you haven’t had any drama s for the past 4 days…..

Im glad that I have helped you in some way……….. that’s my pay check right there….knowing that I’ve helped you 😊

Yes you are correct that sometimes we don’t think we have met anyone with anxiety before , but that s the thing I think, we could be standing next to someone who looks fine but on the inside they are struggling to hold it all together so that’s why we need to be kind to everyone because mental health conditions are invisible to the eye….

Thank you for your kind words to me I always aim to be as honest as I can be to people, I believe I need to be so I can help them.

No worries 😉 thank you …. Just keep up with learning your skills and practicing them, to help you to manage your anxiety.

And work on getting back to the things you love doing like riding your motor bikes.

Remember with anxiety you will have good days and bad days and that’s ok … the good days will eventually out weigh the bad ones……

Keep pushing forward 💪

Hi…. I had my first talk with the psychologist on Friday. It was very different from the last psychologist.
let’s hope it goes ok with him. I’m at home and my anxiety is back. It’s hard to handle when it just comes out of the blue like this.
I had such a good week and now it’s back.