FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Changes to moderation policies: no more face pics in profile images

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi everyone,

The beyondblue forums are an anonymous space where we discourage the sharing of any information that may personally identify you to someone reading.

These forums are public, searchable and indexed by Google, so we ask people to consider their words and think about the level of detail they are sharing with the world before hitting 'post'.

Up until now, we have allowed the use of profile pictures that depict a member's face, but after feedback from the community we have decided to change this policy in order to keep our message about anonymity on the forums consistent.

From today, our moderators will no longer approve the use of profile picture images that clearly depict your face.

If you already have a face picture displayed on your profile, we won't be removing it, but would ask you to have a think about the privacy implications of having your face on display in connection with other personal detail you may be sharing in your posts here.

This thread will also serve as a runnning discussion around how to protect your privacy and anonymity on the forums.

Feedback is welcome.
40 Replies 40

stevexr
Community Member

how long does it take to change a picture????? i have been trying for an hour and no luck

this site is verry frustrating

Hi Stevexr,

I'd just like to say that I find computers in general very frustrating. I don't know how many times I have wanted to throw our out the window or smash the screen with something!

Thankfully my anger issues have not come to that!

I would like to be able to help you and offer you steps on doing what you want to do, but you probably have more idea than I do!

I do hope you are able to sort out the issue and work out how to navigate around the forum. You can always call the support line for assistance, I have done that, they transferred me through to someone who could help with understanding the forum. They then had to speak to my husband...we got there in the end.

Hopefully someone else who understands technology can help you further! Totally understand the frustration you are feeling!

Cheers from Dools

Hi stevexr, please see the post below for information on how our forums are moderated.  You may have to wait up to 12 hours for your picture to change - our moderators have to review it first.  We ask that you be patient with us please:

Welcome! A post about how our forums are moderated

If you need assistance with how to use the forums, please don't call our support line as this is for counselling only.  Support for forums is provided via email only - you can get in touch with us here

stevexr
Community Member

hello, to sophie m i am extreemly sorry for my being abrupt, i had some problems and was in a verry bad head space and did not want to share the pic i had posted any more. i am so verry sorry and wont do it again. i see you have deleted the posts that caused the problem, thank you for doing that and i am verry sorry for my part in it. at the time i did not see what was happening. i thought we were having a laugh but i now know that was not the case

my cinceer appologys steve

Mathy
Community Member

Hi Steve,

I wonder if your image is not the right size? Could you check the thread/topic that Sophie_M suggested and see if there is a width by length size required, or a file size limit (that would be in either KB or MB).

Then check your image’s information, you might need to re-size it.

Just a thought, this is often why images don’t work on forums, and you rarely get a message popping up to tell you what the problem is.

cheers M 🙂

stevexr said:

hello, to sophie m i am extreemly sorry for my being abrupt, i had some problems and was in a verry bad head space and did not want to share the pic i had posted any more. i am so verry sorry and wont do it again. i see you have deleted the posts that caused the problem, thank you for doing that and i am verry sorry for my part in it. at the time i did not see what was happening. i thought we were having a laugh but i now know that was not the case

my cinceer appologys steve

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Mathy

I am only a volunteer (not a moderator) as you know

Thankyou for reaching out to Steve and helping out

Great to have you and Stevexr as part of the forum family

My Kind thoughts

Paul

Guest_4
Community Member
Should be up to the individual.

Hi Unknownuser

Thankyou for your point of view on this topic. Beyond Blue always encourages people to post their thoughts as we are all individuals as you mentioned

Management (ChrisB Community Manager) made the decision to preserve people's privacy on a sensitive mental health national forum

Your thoughts/posts are always welcome

My Kind thoughts

Paul

Snowman_2018
Community Member
Hi Chris, Not sure if you are aware of this but I only just signed up literally 10 minutes ago and the first thing your website asked me to do was upload a photo of myself. I thought the default white silhouette of a man was enough for my display name. 🙂 Snowman.

Hi Snowman and welcome to Beyond Blue forums

Thank you for your feedback, I'll make sure your comment about the request for a photo is passed on.

The system is being upgraded, so some of these little bugs will be ironed out I think in the newer one.

Kind regards

PamelaR