FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Changes to moderation policies: no more face pics in profile images

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi everyone,

The beyondblue forums are an anonymous space where we discourage the sharing of any information that may personally identify you to someone reading.

These forums are public, searchable and indexed by Google, so we ask people to consider their words and think about the level of detail they are sharing with the world before hitting 'post'.

Up until now, we have allowed the use of profile pictures that depict a member's face, but after feedback from the community we have decided to change this policy in order to keep our message about anonymity on the forums consistent.

From today, our moderators will no longer approve the use of profile picture images that clearly depict your face.

If you already have a face picture displayed on your profile, we won't be removing it, but would ask you to have a think about the privacy implications of having your face on display in connection with other personal detail you may be sharing in your posts here.

This thread will also serve as a runnning discussion around how to protect your privacy and anonymity on the forums.

Feedback is welcome.
40 Replies 40

Hi Snowman,

To clarify your response, you are saying that the default white silhouette avatar resembles a snowman and therefore is quite fitting given your chosen display name?  

Appreciate your concern PamelaR 😊

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Sophie - Dah 😯:)

Is there any way at all to change your profile name??

Hi Kylie,

Changing usernames is easy. You just need to send an email to modsupport@beyondblue.org.au with your request.

Nat

Teejey
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I'm confused,there was nothing to say that I couldn't add a facial picture,this is my profile pic,

Hi Teejey, welcome to the forums.  In our community rules, it states that we will not publish material that:
  • includes personal information such as images clearly displaying your face, full names, phone numbers, locations, postal or email addresses; or encourages the sharing of such details
You're welcome to upload a profile picture that doesn't identify you.

Skary Bill
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

A day or so ago I was disappointed to have a profile pic rejected due to it having a face on it.. But it wasn't my face and didn't place me in any danger of being identified. Sooo.....

Do we need to clarify the rule to no faces at all? And since I'm asking... Cartoon faces?

Hi Bill,

If you don't receive a response here regarding the picture you tried to use, maybe you could send off an email using the email address available at the top of the screen.

Explain the photo you chose was not yourself and see what the reply is.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers from Dools

Hi Skary Bill,

Just thought I'd clarify - cartoon faces are okay.

The rules are relating to profile pictures like photos, as they take away the members anonymity. With cartoon faces, your anonymity is still protected.

Hey Bill

I use Homer Simpson's face on the weekend occasionally....Beyond Blue forum management wouldnt have a problem with an animated face as your profile pic 🙂

Thanks romantic_thi3f for picking up on this...Bill has been helping out on the forums a lot

Dools mentioned if you have any doubts about any matter on the forums to write to the super kind moderators on modsupport@beyondblue.org.au.

best always Bill!

Paul