Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Cruiser67 Itroducing my self New to BB
  • replies: 9

G’day every one, I am Tony and I was diagnosed with chronic anxiety and depression about a year ago. I had been suffering for quite some time before that. I have had episodes through out my life as most people do but nothing that I could not get over... View more

G’day every one, I am Tony and I was diagnosed with chronic anxiety and depression about a year ago. I had been suffering for quite some time before that. I have had episodes through out my life as most people do but nothing that I could not get over in a short period of time. This started about 4 years ago after transferring form one branch to another to take on a task that I was knew wold be challenging, I had undertaken difficult and challenging tasks before so I went into it with a great deal of confidence. I found my self having to do things that were not so much illegal as maybe a little bit dodgy or sometime not quite morally correct but certainly went against my principles. I broke the back of the situation but it also broke me. Transferred out of that department about 2 ½ years ago but have struggled ever since. I have had trouble getting the right treatment. I have seen a couple of GP’s and have seen a psychologist after having had to ask for a referral. This has been of some relief but I still do not think it is the answer. I still get massive bouts of anxiety at times and I some times think I should just stop fighting and have a full on breakdown. I believe I am coming to a cross road, one way I let go and loose the plot completely and the other to bring it out into the open attack it full on like the enemy that it is and try and use it against itself, try and turn a negative into a positive so to speak. That’s enough from me and thanks for reading my story I am not usually one to ask for help with anything and I know that most of you out there have your own demons all the best. Tony.

Dan1970 New to the forum
  • replies: 3

Hi all I am new to beyond blue. My story is unique to me but hopefully not to the readers of this post. My story begins 20 years ago when I moved to Australia from the UK. I never intended to stay here but it just happened. I was at the time and stil... View more

Hi all I am new to beyond blue. My story is unique to me but hopefully not to the readers of this post. My story begins 20 years ago when I moved to Australia from the UK. I never intended to stay here but it just happened. I was at the time and still am a Registered Nurse. I was by training a General Nurse but was involved a lot in Psychiatry and Drug and Alcohol by default in a 'seedy' area of Australia. I was a real achiever in the profession and was widely recognised by my peers as a leader. My personal life though was a disaster. I was stuck with a partner who I initially loved but who I grew more distant from. We did though have 2 wonderful children who I essentially raised single 'handedly' as my wife was absent though work the majority of the time. The pressure of work and bringing up children was relieved like an exploding powder keg when I met a beautiful woman who appeared at that time to be a true soul mate about 5 years ago. I separated for 18 months and eventually moved interstate to be with her. My life then went from disastrous to catastrophic. When I moved in with her (after the initial honeymoon period) my new partner turned out to be a high functioning alcoholic drinking at lunchtime and dinner every day. This was accompanied by at first verbal abuse then eventually physical abuse of me. This was a daily occurrence. She became insanely jealous of work colleagues and would call and text me, my bosses and peers to 'check up' on me with resultant consequences to my career prospects. I justified her behaviour towards me as a consequence of stress about our relationship and the effect of a 'near death' experience she had had a couple of years ago requiring ICU stay of 2 weeks. The pressure of this had (in hindsight) an innocuous, creeping effect on me. I was under constant stress worrying about her reaction to every day events, this went on for 3 years until I suffered significant physical injuries. I feel lost now. I was not happy before but maintain a great relationship with my ex and children despite the estrangement. The sense of making the wrong decision and then tolerating her behaviour made me question my very being. I attempted suicide, became, on reflection, emotionally manipulating of people around me and have finally decided to try and seek some support. Unsure of the next step but thought I would try and seek advice on this forum as I am reluctant to seek help from people I may have worked with in a professional capacity.

Doc_joe Doc Joe
  • replies: 5

Hi my name is Kevin ,I am 75 ,my wife Jill is 71 ,she is a palliative care patient that I got out of palliative care on 24/12 /13 she cannot walk or go out ,I cannot leave her ,she had all her faculties as I do ,she is in bed on oxygen 24/7 ,I sit an... View more

Hi my name is Kevin ,I am 75 ,my wife Jill is 71 ,she is a palliative care patient that I got out of palliative care on 24/12 /13 she cannot walk or go out ,I cannot leave her ,she had all her faculties as I do ,she is in bed on oxygen 24/7 ,I sit and watch and keep her alive with prescription drugs ,so lonely ,no friends ,no social activity ,both very lonely .

Nickname_3999E770-B45A-41 Rollercoaster
  • replies: 1

Hi my name is Donna. I've had anxiety/depression for a while now. Have professionals helping me as well as a wonderful husband. I have no motivation and I am always scared and a prisoner in my home. I really want my mind and life back. Will this ever... View more

Hi my name is Donna. I've had anxiety/depression for a while now. Have professionals helping me as well as a wonderful husband. I have no motivation and I am always scared and a prisoner in my home. I really want my mind and life back. Will this ever happen and I want to smile again.

PC9 Introverted person with a cloudy mind
  • replies: 3

Hi I'm PC9 , I'm here because I have a problem even now I'm keeping my name hidden as I am constantly judged by people around me everywhere I go and feel sick of that feeling. I want help and want to help people around me who is suffering. Hoping I c... View more

Hi I'm PC9 , I'm here because I have a problem even now I'm keeping my name hidden as I am constantly judged by people around me everywhere I go and feel sick of that feeling. I want help and want to help people around me who is suffering. Hoping I could connect with many people because right now I feel alone and no one understands me.

moe5 Posting photos/pictures
  • replies: 6

I would like to know if posting photos of art people have done to express themselves is possible? My daughter who is 18 has depression but at her worst point this time last year was able to paint pictures which depicted what she was feeling. Just tho... View more

I would like to know if posting photos of art people have done to express themselves is possible? My daughter who is 18 has depression but at her worst point this time last year was able to paint pictures which depicted what she was feeling. Just thought it might help others to view. Its another form of expression when you have no words.

Jos30 Another chapter in the book of my life
  • replies: 1

Firstly I just want to thank Beyond Blue for being such an amazing and supportive organisation to introduce the ability to share with others online who feel the same as you. When you walk around with a such a strong swirling mixture of thoughts and e... View more

Firstly I just want to thank Beyond Blue for being such an amazing and supportive organisation to introduce the ability to share with others online who feel the same as you. When you walk around with a such a strong swirling mixture of thoughts and emotions that don't seem rational and you feel like you are going crazy, to be able to read so clearly my thoughts and feelings expressed by others makes me feel human again.I've dealt with depression for as long as I can remember. I was fortunate to be raised by 2 wonderful and loving parents that always taught me to be respectful, and caring of others. They taught me right from wrong and that it's ok to be different as long as you can achieve your goals and do what you believe is right. So when I was in school at a young age I guess given my choices to do the right thing and not follow the crowd, I was bullied everyday, both physically and mentally. I did not know how to make friends from an early age and became used to being on my own. I can recall after an appointment with the principle of that school with my mum and myself regarding my bullying issues, how my mother yelled at me to try harder. I was upset by her anger but even as a child I know she was angry at herself for feeling she may have raised me wrong. When it was time to look into high schooling my parents moved me from that school to a private school. The bullying stopped, but I was not equipped with an understanding or ability to make new friends, especially for that first year. I belittled myself in front of others to try to make them laugh, and when boys showed signs of affection to me, I yelled at them and told them to rack off. Overtime I made friends, some which I have even today, but it was a tough time. Sorry about the life story there! Even writing it down I'm understanding more about myself today as I share this with you. I have had relationships here and there. As a 30 year old girl though I feel incredibly lonely and without companions to function. I actually enjoy work as I get to be around others that banter and chat with me like a friend. When I'm outside of work I lock myself into my room on many occasions as my anxiety can get the best of me.I'd like to use this forum here to tell you a bit about myself and my chapters of life. You can read my posts or you can ignore them. I even now feel a little selfish talking all about me, but I hope that if you follow my posts you may get something out of it, as I do from reading others