Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

JemJo Hi I'm new
  • replies: 3

Hello everyone, I thought I'd introduce myself. 35 from Sydney. Nice to meet you all.

Hello everyone, I thought I'd introduce myself. 35 from Sydney. Nice to meet you all.

Lea85 Prolly been asked before
  • replies: 5

Hi, I was diagnosed with clinical depression a couple of years ago. Think I’ve had it all my life though. Also major anxiety disorder, social anxiety being the highlight. Wuestion is, why do I still feel bad when on meds? I’ve been really really low,... View more

Hi, I was diagnosed with clinical depression a couple of years ago. Think I’ve had it all my life though. Also major anxiety disorder, social anxiety being the highlight. Wuestion is, why do I still feel bad when on meds? I’ve been really really low, last 2 weeks.

Sporty_girl Really lonely girl
  • replies: 2

Hi first time posting here, I'm in my thirties and very lonely. I have pretty bad anxiety and very depressed. I've been struggling to find a job since I transitioned male to female. But trying to change that. I just wanted to find advice on making fr... View more

Hi first time posting here, I'm in my thirties and very lonely. I have pretty bad anxiety and very depressed. I've been struggling to find a job since I transitioned male to female. But trying to change that. I just wanted to find advice on making friends in ones thirties. Thanks

Bigredfish Drinking to escape the loneliness, only to be isolated by it.
  • replies: 8

Hi all, Over the last 6 or so years I've had a pretty rough trot. A massive family fallout that ended with me walking away from my business, rotating through a number of jobs since, the decline of my marriage which I discovered that my wife was havin... View more

Hi all, Over the last 6 or so years I've had a pretty rough trot. A massive family fallout that ended with me walking away from my business, rotating through a number of jobs since, the decline of my marriage which I discovered that my wife was having an affair leading me to have a full breakdown. I have seen a doctor who has put me on anti depression medication which has made me develop sleep apnoea so no my wife won't sleep in the same room as me. I'm currently going through sleep testing to see what can be done. Over this time I have lost a lot of contact with people and over the past few years have grown more and more lonely and depressed. I have always liked having a drink or two but have noticed in recent months that I'm using it as an escape. As soon as I feel the loneliness creeping in I reach for the bottle. This in turn isolates me more and around and around I go. During the week I work big days and don't drink, but Friday Saturday and Sunday are on the cards. I never get aggressive or stupid but it is definitely doing the opposite for me than I want it too. I have a lot more to work on besides the above, but this is a good start. Cheers

crish New in Australia seeking help
  • replies: 1

Hi guys, I am relatively new to Australia. I came in on a work visa and have been working here for almost 2 years now. But due anxiety, I have barely gone out and made any friends. And the Covid-19 has made the situation even worse. I was wondering w... View more

Hi guys, I am relatively new to Australia. I came in on a work visa and have been working here for almost 2 years now. But due anxiety, I have barely gone out and made any friends. And the Covid-19 has made the situation even worse. I was wondering what would be the easy way to get help. I tried to visit to GP and get consultation and further help if necessary. But, the aspect of visit a doctor(stranger) and talking about my problems seems too daunting and haven't been able to do so. Any suggestions?

Guest_0371 REDUCE STIGMA IN THE WORKPLACE
  • replies: 5

Hello everybody. I am Steve, I have experience of depression and anxiety. I am working to help people reduce the effects of stigma in the workplace. I hope you are having an awesome day:)

Hello everybody. I am Steve, I have experience of depression and anxiety. I am working to help people reduce the effects of stigma in the workplace. I hope you are having an awesome day:)

Volterra I think I'm a head-based adult
  • replies: 3

Hi, I'm here to see if you can help pinpoint what my issue might be. I've had anxiety, social anxiety, depression, clinical depression, schizoid personality disorder, and schizoaffective disorder. I think all of these are caused by being a "head-base... View more

Hi, I'm here to see if you can help pinpoint what my issue might be. I've had anxiety, social anxiety, depression, clinical depression, schizoid personality disorder, and schizoaffective disorder. I think all of these are caused by being a "head-based" person, rather than a "whole being" person. I first learned about being a "head-based" person in Homecoming: Reclaiming and championing your inner child. Does toxic shame make us live in our head, rather than being whole beings? Thanks. Steve

C_h_w Testicular disorder infertility
  • replies: 13

Hi I don't know if I should be here or even bother trying to talk to any one about testicular disorder anymore but I will try well when I was born there were complications but we're we were at time didn't look into it more so mum dad me ended up movi... View more

Hi I don't know if I should be here or even bother trying to talk to any one about testicular disorder anymore but I will try well when I was born there were complications but we're we were at time didn't look into it more so mum dad me ended up moving to South Australia bye one and a half the doc's decided to finally do something but both of my testies had to be removed and on going check ups but no extra test to find out why I have had to dill with alot of let down one being realising at sex ed that I was never going to be a father fill all alone the amount of bulling I coped at school shoold have put me in a hole already but I'm still trying to get my self out but I fill like I'm having to dill with alot of other things that aren't getting looked into bye the doc's proply fill like just a number a bull you castrat and send back of out into the paddock I'm 33 now and still just as confused as what I was ment to be having to get injection ever 6 weeks is not fun fill like I'm not ment to have a lady in my life A borden Not good enough A proplem interference to work Walked over Talked done to Worthless Not herd Disposable Taken out of contents Diagnosed incorrectly I just don't now if I should keep trying to seek help or just give up as Google never helps

AmeliaParis Maybe one day that person is going to wake up and realise how much they love me ..
  • replies: 2

Hi all, I hope you are all well. It took me a while to put all this together and I feel like I should say sorry for posting. Everybody always tells me how strong I am and so I feel like I should be stronger and not have these issues. There's so many ... View more

Hi all, I hope you are all well. It took me a while to put all this together and I feel like I should say sorry for posting. Everybody always tells me how strong I am and so I feel like I should be stronger and not have these issues. There's so many people in the world with bigger problems, people have no food, nowhere to sleep and I should just cope with this - this is how I feel. But I can't. I'm in my thirties, had troubled childhood - never had love, aggressive parent, never been good enough and so on. Have always been thinking 'If I'm really good, then maybe one day my dad's going to realise how much he loves me and change''. So I'm always trying to 'Be perfect' - Because maybe then I'll be loved. This has transferred into my past relationship. Where, towards the end, I was hoping my ex partner would one day wake up and realise how much he loves me and change into what I needed'. But, of course he couldn't. And now this has transferred into my daily life, where I fell for a person close to me and I'm trying every day to 'impress them' and hope for them to 'notice me'. Hoping one day they are going to wake up and realise how much I mean to them and then we'll live happily ever after. I feel silly for writing this. I know better. I know what advice I'd give to my friends if they were in the same situation as I am but I can't seem to follow my own advice. I feel like I'm so good at giving advice and being rational when it comes to other people but when it comes to me, I'm useless. My emotions are so strong on everything and I can't seem to be able to make any of the right steps. I just linger. And to talk about anxiety. I am so afraid of losing what I have set my mind to love that there are situations in which I literally start feeling physically sick. And that lately happens with this person pretty much every day. They can say something completely innocent but because of how deeply I love them it destroys my whole world. And one of those moments happened today. I can't live like this anymore so have decided to seek help from other people who have similar issues and were able to hopefully overcome them. Do any of you find themselves in what I've written? Are you also trying to be perfect in order to be loved? Do you have any advice on maybe things I could do that could help me overcome this issue? Like actual tasks? Thank you

solDC Need help for partner (ADHD)
  • replies: 4

I'm not sure what to do. My partner has had ADHD symptoms from childhood but is not formally diagnosed. He has had bad experiences with doctors in the past and does not feel that he will get any help or medical treatment. The issue is affecting our r... View more

I'm not sure what to do. My partner has had ADHD symptoms from childhood but is not formally diagnosed. He has had bad experiences with doctors in the past and does not feel that he will get any help or medical treatment. The issue is affecting our relationship and I cannot take it anymore as we have a child to raise. How easy is it to get diagnosis and treatment for adult ADHD? I don't want him to become more disillisioned by being stuck in a merry go round of dead ends from the medical system failing to help.