Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Fairy333 My thoughts
  • replies: 1

I don’t really know how this works but I am just going to write my thoughts to distract myself.I have anxiety, it has gotten so bad to the point that I am scared to leave the house.Every morning before school I feel nauseous to the point where I don’... View more

I don’t really know how this works but I am just going to write my thoughts to distract myself.I have anxiety, it has gotten so bad to the point that I am scared to leave the house.Every morning before school I feel nauseous to the point where I don’t eat.When I sit in the classroom I only have one thing on my mind and it is to find a way home.my anxiety it mostly based on being sick so it tells me that I will be to the point where I think I feel physically sick.I can tell my friends are getting frustrated with me for always canceling plans and I know my family is trying to help but all they say is to get over it like it is that easy.I don’t know why I do this to myself everyday it is exhausting anywho writing Down this has actually made my nausea feel better.If there is one thing I have learned it that distraction it key, I suggest if your feeling anxious download a crossword it really helps distracts your mind

Novaa Nice to meet you.
  • replies: 2

Hello there, I'm Nova. You'll be seeing me in the forum's often, I decided to make an account because I'm worried my friend will eventually get tired and annoyed with me by talking about my problems a lot. I won't talk about them here since I'm intro... View more

Hello there, I'm Nova. You'll be seeing me in the forum's often, I decided to make an account because I'm worried my friend will eventually get tired and annoyed with me by talking about my problems a lot. I won't talk about them here since I'm introducing myself, I hope we can all get along. Thank you.

Cptsd_Survivor Survivor Looking For Resources For CPTSD
  • replies: 7

Hey All, So I'm not sure what/how to post here. I've only recently started really trying to understand my trauma, and actively research it. I could also do with meeting new people, those that have been through rough times. Support network isn't great... View more

Hey All, So I'm not sure what/how to post here. I've only recently started really trying to understand my trauma, and actively research it. I could also do with meeting new people, those that have been through rough times. Support network isn't great, and I really want that to change.

gucia6 Joining ADF after having mental problems in the past
  • replies: 2

Hi, I have searched the forum, and found one thread about this topic, but it didn't answer to my question. Does anyone know if there are any specific mental health conditions that disqualify on the spot to join the defence forces? 18 years ago I had ... View more

Hi, I have searched the forum, and found one thread about this topic, but it didn't answer to my question. Does anyone know if there are any specific mental health conditions that disqualify on the spot to join the defence forces? 18 years ago I had a serious case of breakdown, but I was never hospitalized, managed to sort the issue on my own and was never on medication. The situation back then did not affect me finishing studies, getting and keeping job, having family, or fulfilling any daily life duties. Only last year I decided to have couple of sessions with psychologist to help sort out, what was going on, and get on track why certain situation kicked me off balance for a short period of time. But since I did some research on that, quite a bit of "homework", am able to recognize my triggers and regulate emotions well, I was wondering if this past case of imbalance and need of some support last year would be an obstacle in getting to ADF?

domn8 Chronic Procrastination and depression
  • replies: 4

Hi All, I am stuck in a chicken and egg scenario. I am anxious, stressed, and depressed, and don't seem to be able to make myself do anything. On the other hand, I have fallen so far behind with my work that I feel like it's out of control, and this ... View more

Hi All, I am stuck in a chicken and egg scenario. I am anxious, stressed, and depressed, and don't seem to be able to make myself do anything. On the other hand, I have fallen so far behind with my work that I feel like it's out of control, and this makes me stressed, anxious and depressed. I sit at my desk and can't figure out how to get started, what to do first, and find myself just sitting there waiting for disaster to strike because I haven't attended to something that I'd committed to do at work. Sometimes I feel like it's hopeless and I just want to run away from it all. I'm super embarrassed by where I'm at - I used to be good at my job and I'm scared of the day that everyone will realise that I'm failing to achieve anything. How do I dig myself out? Is there something that a doctor might prescribe (temporarily of course) that would help me to buckle down and focus?

Beaser Really Battling.
  • replies: 18

Hi this is my first post . I find myself really in a bad way . I have had a relationship breakdown because of my anxiety and depression and that makes me so sad and lost.Im struggling at work and have had so much time off and worry ill lose my job.I ... View more

Hi this is my first post . I find myself really in a bad way . I have had a relationship breakdown because of my anxiety and depression and that makes me so sad and lost.Im struggling at work and have had so much time off and worry ill lose my job.I find myself just scraping trough each day and collapsing at night into bed to give my brain a break.Im 55 and have lived with my condition for so .Im exhausted by it all.Depression gives me such bad feelings of guilt that i shouldnt carry. Ruminating about everything is constant. I wonder if anyone has similar experiences and how they get through. I wish every one a healthy and happy day. Brett

Historyfan01 Hello again
  • replies: 3

Hi all, My real name is Liam. I used to be on here a long time ago but I can't remember anything about my old profile and wanted to start again fresh since I was incredibly young when I made it and feel embarrassed about my posting. I guess I still a... View more

Hi all, My real name is Liam. I used to be on here a long time ago but I can't remember anything about my old profile and wanted to start again fresh since I was incredibly young when I made it and feel embarrassed about my posting. I guess I still am since I'm under 25, but a lot has happened since my old profile. I'll post another post in the appropriate forum section but wanted to say hello first

Ashu Depression
  • replies: 1

Depressed how the life turned out. Tried to mitigate the effects by supporting, being loyal, caring, compromising with partners family and still not enough. Why looks are so important. Wish had knew that the person you trusted would change to the cor... View more

Depressed how the life turned out. Tried to mitigate the effects by supporting, being loyal, caring, compromising with partners family and still not enough. Why looks are so important. Wish had knew that the person you trusted would change to the core, perhaps would choose a different path.

Brian90 Mature age only child who’s parents are splitting up
  • replies: 5

Hi Guys I’m 30 years old and an old child with very little family. Sorry to ‘rip the band aid off’ but My Father has diagnosed depression, is quite suicidal and has just told my Mum he wants to seperate. it’s come from no where. They were amazing par... View more

Hi Guys I’m 30 years old and an old child with very little family. Sorry to ‘rip the band aid off’ but My Father has diagnosed depression, is quite suicidal and has just told my Mum he wants to seperate. it’s come from no where. They were amazing parents and had no arguments or violence growing up, just normal loving parents. mum is now in shock and very upset. They’re both seeking counciling & mental health services but the visits are so far spread apart. My Grand mother is 94 and has very little time left. She’s on my fathers side and he was also an only child. They’re very close. im very worried about the near future.. Anyone able to give me advice who may have been in this situation?

Internally_Sassy I Don't Think I'm Straight (How Can I Tell?)
  • replies: 8

Hello everyone! I am questioning my sexuality but all the advice from I have found online, on discovering one's sexuality, has been based on people who have had a crush or have been in a relationship with someone before. I have no experience with eit... View more

Hello everyone! I am questioning my sexuality but all the advice from I have found online, on discovering one's sexuality, has been based on people who have had a crush or have been in a relationship with someone before. I have no experience with either but I have a feeling (not sure if that's quite how to describe it) that I'm not straight. Whenever I think about being with either gender I don't feel a pull towards one gender more than the other. I was thinking I may be bi or pan. Could anyone who can give advice on how I may be able to discover my sexuality, or maybe just share their own stories, I would greatly appreciate it.