FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

weight gain on meds, fighting a losing battle?

missmuppet
Community Member
I've been on bipolar meds for over 12 months now & gained 10kgs. Have started a plan to lose 5kgs in 12 weeks. But I feel like I'm starving all the time & have trouble sticking to the plan. So I've been trying to eat whole foods, no processed, only. But I think I still eat too much to lose the weight. I exercise too. Wondering if I should focus on just not gaining any more...

Anything else work for you? Thanks

10 Replies 10

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi MissMuppet,

Firstly I would like to say I feel for you and have had the same experience with different medications. It certainly sucks doesn't it! Unfortunately a lot of medication has a side effect, and weight gain is one that many of us suffer from.

I have a few questions for you. Are you trying to do this plan alone or have you been advised by someone to do it?

Is it possible for you to visit a dietician and see what they have to suggest to you?

I too am trying to loose weight due to medication and medical problems. I try to keep to fresh, natural foods and cut out the cakes, biscuits, chocolates and so on. It is not easy all of the time.

I try to buy vegetables I can turn into salad easily and have that for lunch along with legumes or a small can of tuna. In the winter I have soup for lunch, once again with plenty of vegetables and legumes.

Maybe try to get your eating habits into a more healthy routine and then try with the weight loss.

Check out the Life Be In It, or the site which suggests you eat two fruits and 5 vegies every day. I tried to send you the web address but this site does not allow them, so hopefully you will be able to find something on the net. Or like I mentioned earlier, ask your Dr. if they can send you to a dietician. Your Dr. might have some suggestions as well for you.

Exercise is always good! I need a bit more discipline to keep going, so I wish you all the best on your journey!

Cheers for now, From Mrs. Dools

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi missmuppet,  perhaps you are eating too much curds and whey lol

Anyway, my wife and I have been dieting together for 3 years. And each of us separately for our lifetime. It never ends.

Recently I told my wife, that I have been so concerned with dieting that it has done more damage mentally, making me upset and fragile, obsessed with every kilo of weight then over eating again.

So, with this concern my wife went ahead from our "fasting diet" to her low carb diet and I cancelled any further dieting. I will, be sensible and eat in moderation and if I over eat I'll cut back at the next meal. Simple, less structured meaning eating things when your taste buds tell you that you want that particular food. This also wont get me upset if I do over eat or eat the wrong foods.

Its a balancing game but my mental well being, stability and less focus on the waste line is more important.

We werent all meant to be greyhounds.

Oh, by the way. Mrs Dools replied and we sent in our replies at the same time....she is right to suggest a dietician.

My wife and I attended one a few months ago for severla visits and we learned a lot. eg eating corn in moderation compared to other vegies, light milk, the pie plate eg half vegies, quarter meat and quarter rice or pasta works well.

Thanks for your suggestions. Lol White night...it was actually miss muffet...

I will see if I can find a nutritionist. Do they come under the healthcare plan under Medicare?

I've started to use Priceline's health tracker. They have some great advice. Even if my weight stays on, I will probably be healthier.

Motivation is another barrier to eating well. It takes effort & energy that I don't have right now. 

Hi MissM,

My wife and I got free dietician under a govt health plan. we also got a visit to the podiatrist and several visits to a psychologist.

Oh White Knight!  Your below comment is me all over.  I am so burnt out and exhausted from worrying about my weight very minute of my adult life. I'm so glad I'm not the only one! 

"I have been so concerned with dieting that it has done more damage mentally, making me upset and fragile, obsessed with every kilo of weight then over eating again."

kitkatsoppy
Community Member

Hi - Three years ago now I was put on medication.  Back then i was 86kg, and now three years later I am now 126kg.

I take seven different medications a day .  It seems like my food willpower isnt very good.  I walk for half an hour every couple of days, but it is the sugar that is in everything that stops me from losing weight.

I have already been to a dietician several times, as well as every G.P. and stuff admitting that it is the medication that I am on that is helping to cause weight gain.

I feel like it is a lost cause to keep trying to lose weight.. *sigh*

Any help out there or is anyone in a similar boat to me?

Eeeek

Hi there.  I'm wondering firstly, what's the medication for?  If it's anti-depressants, you should've been told that you would probably get the 'munchies'.   You take 7 per day.  Could you go back to your Dr/ psych and discuss with him what you're taking and why?  I'm worried too about diabetes.  When your pancreas stops working as it should, this is when you get diabetes.  Have you been tested for diabetes?.  Do you get thirsty?  Just walking on its own isn't enough.  Ask your Dr about attending physio, this will help other muscles and assist weight loss.  Once you get diabetes, the fun starts.  Diabetes is not sugar content, it's when the pancreas stops working.  The pancreas stops making enough insulin to aid the breakdown of fat and other food wastage.  This will aid putting on weight too.  Diabetes can be controlled by diet, I started with insulin 8 years ago, I now control with diet, I'm 64.

Best of luck.  Hope I've been of some help.