FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Swapping anti-depressant medications

Breezer
Community Member

Hi everyone

I'm new here and thought I would share my story and see if anyone else has been through someone similar.

I have suffered with panic attacks and depression since 11. Been on medication since 16 and that helps me live a "normal" life. Except for the past 9 months I have had such bad anxiety I had to quit my job because I was having them every minute of that day. 

I went and saw a psychiatrist last week and he said the medication I was on is most likely no longer working as I've built up a tolerance and if I wanted to do a complete swap onto another ain't-depressant - no warning slowly just a straight swap. I was happy to do this as I was willing to try anything to feel "me" again  . First 3 days where fine  just felt Keith headed and dizzy, but I new I would go thought some side effects. Then day 4 things got really bad. I didn't get any sleep the night before because my brain wouldn't switch off. This made me more panicky. Then it got to the point I had been awake for 30 hours. I was feel nausea's, broke out in a rash and swollen face, bad panic attacks and racing heart. I went to hospital. I couldn't take the insomnia of which the new med was doing. They did tests and all normal - it was the horrendous swapping of medications that my brain was trying to absorb - coming down off one -then trying to balance out a new one.  

After being awake in the end for 49 hours I was discharged from hospital and finally at some point I think my body just crashed. I got to sleep!!! Was a miracle to me.

i am no day 8 on the new medication - off the other and all thought the panic attacks are still there I can now think a lot clearer after some rest. I just hope that the insomnia does not return. 

can anyone else relate to what I've been through? Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I defiantly think you need to be a lot more kinder on yourself I know I was putting way to much pressure to expect to better and to not have such bad withdrawals. I have now told myself to take each day as it comes and to not worry about my future just yet. Health comes first if you don't have health you don't have life. 

if this has helped anyone or if anyone has questions I'm here for you xx

2 Replies 2

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Breezer, hi and thanks for being able to talk to us.

Chris has given some very helpful threads to look at and I wonder whether any of them have helped you.

With me there were a few times that I stopped taking an AD and then immediately started another AD, and the reason why was because my doctor didn't want me to dry out, because of the state I was in and too scared for me not to be on anything and how I felt after an attempt to end my life.

I know that the recommendation is to dry out, but it's up to how your doctor feels about what is going on, and coming off one and then starting a new one could make the first week difficult. Geoff.