FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Are support groups helpful

CatLover88
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I've been struggling with mental illness for more than 10 years now. I have been diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder, major depression and social anxiety. I've tried lots of medications in various combinations and doses. I'm now just taking one for my anxiety, but I've given up on anti-depressants.

I have a psychiatrist who looks after my medication, but I find her very unhelpful for anything else. I have a psychologist who I see every three weeks. I find her really helpful but I've used all my sessions on my mental health plan already and I can't afford to see her more frequently.

I used to have a good job, working full-time but I had to give it up because my illness got too bad and I couldn't work. Now I work barely part-time for my sister's fiance at his house or at mine. My husband works full-time so I don't qualify for any government assistance. I really want to get back to full-time work, but I don't think I could cope with the hours or interacting with new people.

I'm thinking maybe joining a support group would help, but I'm really anxious about it. I find it really hard to talk to my friends and family because I don't want to be a burden on them. They're all really busy and successful. I don't want to let them down because they probably think I'm getting better.

Does anyone have any experience with support groups that they can share with me? 

2 Replies 2

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Cat Lover

Welcome to Beyond Blue. I have not attended a support group so I cannot give you any insight from that point of view. I wonder if you have discussed this with your psychologist.

I know how difficult it is to talk to family and friends, and often they have no real understanding of the problem. It seems you have to experience depression to understand what it's all about. The only family I have to talk to are my children. They get a bit embarrassed I believe because mom is supposed to take care of everyone as she has always done when they were little. I remember finding it hard to be comfortable with my mom when she felt vulnerable.

If you go to a support group, presumably they have all experienced similar mental illness difficulties and understand in general where you are coming from. These are the people who know how difficult life can get and may be able to pass on tips for coping. I do not know exactly what happens. The difference between the group and family is the anonymity and talking with those who have been there.

In some ways I imagine it would be more comfortable and certainly have a positive potential. I contacted a support organisation who suggested I attend for a couple of sessions to see how I felt and what went on. There was no obligation to say anything or to continue attending. If you go on those terms I think it would help you to decide if this was a good thing for you. It would be an experiment so to speak. In the end I opted out of going as I felt I had sufficient support from the psychologist and my GP.

Please write in again, especially if there is anything else you would like to talk about. Meanwhile other folk on the forum may have a different experience of support groups and will be along to answer you.

Mary

BKYTH
Community Member
I think that if a support group is available that you can access then you should give it a try.  Only you can find out for yourself whether or not one would be of help to you by giving it a try. As they say 'you have nothing to lose'. Others can only speak of their experience but that may not be relevant to what your experience might be. Give it a go. Philip.