FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Schema Therapy

Laynelove
Community Member

Hi there,

so I had some great advice to try schema therapy. It sounds like something that might be helpful to me.

i just wanted to hear from some people who have done it. I know that it makes you aware of your behaviour and how it relates to childhood but I was hoping to hear from someone who has effectively changed some of their schemas and is living an improved life.

i can't find any success stories but I'm sure there are plenty out there!

2 Replies 2

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Laynelove,

Thanks for your post. I think the problem with schema therapy is that psychologists and health professionals rarely tell you what therapy they are using with you! 

I had some therapy from a neuropsychiatrist that related back to some childhood abuse. I'm still not sure if it classified as schema therapy but looking at it now it sounds like it did.  The therapy helped me recognise some of the beliefs that I had based on what had happened in my childhood.  One example is that I never felt like I was enough, which I realised through this therapy that it was something that had happened to me as a kid that made me feel this way.

I hope this helps.  You could always give it a go 🙂 

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Laynelove, we have an earlier thread on schema therapy here:

Schema therapy for anxiety