FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Parents blocking access to medication

ajkne12
Community Member

Hey, new user here, sorry if this is in the wrong place

So, after a massive decline with my mental health, my psychologist recommended that i take medication to recover a bit, after 2 years of CBT therapy and the like. I also discussed things with a school counselor, who did a separate assessment and said that medication would be helpful as well paired with other therapy. When parents were told about this, they just cancelled my next psychologist appointment, and said that they were going to find a new one. They seem to refuse to discuss the possibility of medication to assist therapy at all.

I just want to ask, what should I do now? I highly doubt that my parents would listen to me regarding medication, and based on their reaction when the psychologist suggested it, I don't think they're willing to listen to professional advice either regarding this. Should I be this terrified of medication as well? Should I just keep trying with other therapy?

1 Reply 1

sunnyl20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi ajkne12,

I'm sorry to hear your mental health has declined so much. It sounds like things are feeling really difficult right now. It is challenging that your parents are not on the same page and seem unwilling to discuss the option of medication. You do not need to feel terrified of medication, but it is important that you have the time and space with a mental health professional to discuss any questions or concerns that you have about it and what feels right for you. Is there any way of contacting the psychologist who recommended it to talk about how to navigate your parents' reaction and how to move forward? Would you feel comfortable talking to your school counselor about this and would they maybe be able to talk to your parents? Is there someone else, for example your GP, who you feel your parents may be more open to discussing medications with?

Please feel free to talk more if you want/need to. I hope you find what you need to start feeling better soon. Take care.