FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Medication Dilemma

MOC1
Community Member
I'm the mum of an almost 18yo guy who has depression and anxiety. His first bout with anxiety was as a 13/14yo for approx 8 months.  He saw a psychologist for this time and it really helped. He appeared to travel along OK until approx November last year when things went down hill. This was about the time that he started his Year 12 HSC (term 4). He is now midway through and really struggling. He is back seeing his psychologist weekly. He was on one SSRIs medication for approx 5 months which caused horrible nausea and headaches and at the time didn't appear to greatly lift his mood but now on reflection it may have. He has now tried another SSRIs for just less then 4 weeks (thankfully no headaches and nausea), with the last 2 weeks being dreadful with moods - he said that one of those weeks was the worst that he has experienced over the last year. His doctor has suggested either increasing his current medication dose (double as he is currently on a low dose) or changing to a new medication completely (either a SNRIs or SSNRI). He seems to have picked up a little last night and today but it is also the weekend and no stress from school. We are in a quandary because he has trial exams coming up in approx 5 weeks and he does not want to make it harder for himself with medication changeover etc if it may not be necessary. He has said that he wants to stay at school and get his HSC if he can although we have given him many options so that he does not feel pressured. At the moment he struggles with focus / concentration (not sure whether this is the depression or his current medication). The dilemma is does he stick with his current medication and increase the dose or does he change to a new medication which also potentially increases energy levels as well as mood - always a little hit and miss with AD . Any thoughts from those of you who may have experienced a similar dilemma would be great. Thanks for reading.
3 Replies 3

Jacko777
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi MOC1,

From what you are saying about this situation I think I would try the double dose first as your son is already on this medication and possibly the side effects are not new to him. As you don't know if these new meds will work appropriately it might be worth the wait till after these exams.

Has you son had any success with cognitive or any other therapies?

Jack

MOC1
Community Member

Hi Jack,

He is currently seeing a psychologist weekly who he really likes. I think the psychologist is using CBT with him. He is definitely giving him lots of strategies in the areas which he is struggling.

There has been an improvement is his overall mood since the weekend and school holidays are looming so the stress of school is diminishing at least for the moment. I think that his medication also may also be starting to kick in. Fingers (and toes) crossed. My son decided to stick with his current medication due to the uncertainty of side effects of a new one and also the 4 plus week wait until it kicks in. "Brain fog' is what is really frustrating him because it is really affecting his ability to focus / concentrate at school therefore affecting his marks etc. How long does this usually last or will he have it indefinitely while he is on medication? It's all very frustrating for him but at least he is now smiling occasionally.

We are off to see the GP in 2 days time for a follow-up plus a massage tomorrow. I've been told that they can be quite beneficial so he will give it a try.

Thanks for your comments jack, they are much appreciated.

Sawyer
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi MOC,

I'm sorry to hear about your son. But I admire you for getting so involved in his treatment and trying different avenues.

Anti Depressants such as SSRI's quite commonly lead to this brain fog that you have mentioned, trouble concentrating, generally flat affect. These side effects can change depending on the medication and the individual. Many people have to experiment for a long time before finding a medication that works for them. It would be best to consult with your GP or a psychiatrist about these issues.

The problem with anti depressants is that although they make the issue less noticeable, the issue remains. While they are a useful tool in levelling out the low points, they will also make it hard to feel the highs and joys in life, the kind of emotions that are a buffer against depression. They can result in a kind of flat, detached state where the individual doesn't just avoid sadness, but struggles to feel anything at all.

It is likely that your son's depression is psychological or cognitive issue rather than an imbalance in hormones, as such the best course of action from my point of view would be to continue working with your psychologist to target problematic thought patterns, dig down to the root of the problem and develop resilience, so that eventually in the future, your son will be able to cope and flourish without the need for medication. I personally wouldn't encourage a long term reliance on anti-depressants in any but the most extreme cases. However it sounds like you already know this and have taken steps towards a diverse treatment plan for your son, which is exactly what you should be doing.

Best wishes,

Sawyer