FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Just diagnosed with ASD

thehiss
Community Member

Hi everyone

Throughout my life I have battled chronic anxiety, depression and derealisation. I have always felt "different" from other people even when I was at school. From when I was a little child my mother had always questioned whether I was on the Spectrum or not by judging my behavior. So I got tested for ASD when I was about 10 and the results came back negative. My mum argued at the time saying she thought the results were incorrect. As the years went by I started to show more and more signs of possibly being on the Spectrum to the stage that even my psychologists were starting to question the possibility. So at the beginning of the this year I got tested for ASD again (I'm now 27) and this time the scoring came back well and truly positive. In some ways it has been a huge relief because I now have an explanation as to why I have been so anxious and felt "different" all my life, however, at the same time ever since then I've been so worried that society won't "accept" me as a person anymore. I'm currently receiving certain supports through the government and I've heard people over the years who think that people with disabilities are just a huge burden on the system. I'm ever so grateful to be receiving these supports and I would love to be able to work someday. I know this is long winded but like I said I'm just so afraid that people will judge me for receiving such support and not accept me anymore.

Thank you for taking the time to read this looong pointless thread, I just needed to let it out. 🙂

1 Reply 1

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello thehiss,

I would like to warmly welcome you to the forums..

It sounds that your relieved to have gotten your latest diagnosis...yet at the same time your worried that people won’t accept you because of the diagnosis..I hope I understand your post..which is a very good and useful thread..thank you..

Just my thoughts dear thehiss...You are still the same person you were before the new diagnosis..you haven’t changed...Please don’t be scared of diff diagnosis or so called labels....I have so many, but I’m still me..it doesn’t and won’t change me...my friends only know what I want them to know...

I have a support worker who helps me to go outdoors and takes me for walks...(my anxiety make me feel vulnerable and afraid to walk on my own)...I need her without her I find it hard to go out...She also in a way needs me..I am part of her job..not a burden at all...and neither are you..your a 27 year old person who is struggling with different mental health issues and you need their help...

I hope so much that if your wish is to work one day..that it will happen for you...Believe in yourself and keep taking those babies steps towards wellness...Having a want for something makes a big difference in our recovery..

Talk here anytime you feel up to it..other hopefully will call in and have a chat to you....

My kind thoughts..with care..

Grandy..