FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I feel like my SSRI medication has stopped working

MisterM
Community Member

I have been on SSRI medication since February this year and felt better, in the last month or so I am feeling back to how I was pre-medication. Low mood, not motivated, dark thoughts, negative outlooks.
Is this common?
Anyone had a similar experience?
I don't if losing 2 jobs in the space of 3 months is the reason or the medication has stopped working and I need to change medication.
When I first got on the medication I was unemployed but felt better, more positive and happy. So I cannot with confidence point the change due to my job situation.

4 Replies 4

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Mister M,

I have been on the same brand of SSRI medication since 2012, with only gradual changes to the dosage. I go through periods when I get more anxious and occasionally feel like I would have before taking the medication. Medication, at least based on my personal experience, does not compensate for stressful life events and situations or poor sleep patterns, for instance. The medication helps lessen the severity and impact of the symptoms, in conjunction with lifestyle and other factors.

To be sure, go to your GP and discuss the situation.

Best wishes,

SM

MisterM
Community Member
Thank you SM.

Ladyhawke
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi MisterM.  I've been prescribed various classes of antidepressant meds over the past 20 years: tricyclics, MAOIs, SSRIs and SNRIs.  With many of them I seemed to reach a plateau where I felt they had reached the limit of effectiveness. I always mentioned this to my doctor who either suggested an increase in dosage, under his supervision, or tapered me off the med and gradually started me on a new drug. Have been on current SSRI for around 4 years and it works well for me. If I experience a noticeable change in effectiveness,  my doctor will make an adjustment to the meds that he thinks is appropriate.

I would suggest speaking with your doctor about your concerns. There are many SSRIs - I trialled four before I found the one that had the most positive effect on my mood.  Good luck.

LH

Thank you Ladyhawke.