FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How do you manage the cost of treatment?

Wah
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello forum community

I am wondering if anyone out there has an secrets to share about managing the cost of treatment? 

I work part time and do not qualify for a HCC. I can keep on top of my scripts but add in a weekly or fortnightly psychology session and I am stuffed. I got a GP care plan but it still costs me per visit and I find at the moment I can't afford it even though I know it would help. At present I am seeing my Psychiatrist every 3-4 weeks and that is a big cost too. 

Thanks 

Wah

3 Replies 3

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Wah, one thing that might be worth looking into is the ATAPs program, which allows for a certain number of fully-funded sessions with a psychologist if you meet certain criteria. The program is administered through Medicare Locals.  There's more information on this program here.

Carmen_Lisa
Community Member
Hi there. I've had the same problem. While I do appreciate that a co-payment does mean I am choosing to value the service I am paying for, there comes a time when I literally can't afford all the bills. So I'm currently taking a gamble in the public system. I see a psychiatrist today and I'm super anxious. I'm curious about the link Chris has posted though. That could be really helpful. 

Nuk
Community Member

Psychologists and Psychiatrists are very expensive, even with medicare rebates. I don't have a health care card but what I did was ask my psychiatrist if he would still see me if I couldn't pay due to my financial hardships - at the moment I don't have a car due to being in a car accident and it being written off, I work casually, go to uni full time as well. 

The previous year I had a few health complications and had reached the medicare threshold by mid year so I wasn't out of pocket too much - except I had paid however much you are required to spend on healthcare! 

I asked my psychologist as well, which they were happy to do. With my psychiatrist I only require a referral and can have ongoing treatment and am not limited to the 10 sessions per calender year (or 12 in some cases), so I opted to see my psychiatrist more often.

Some times it pays just to ask and explain the situation.