FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How can I pay for help?

eckybecky
Community Member

This is mainly aimed at nsw people.

I have already used my Medicare rebate on my mental health plan, but I still need psychologist help. I am too unwell to work and my husband is a student so we have no money. I am desperate. I don't know how to pay for appointments. I need proper sessions not just a quick chat, which means it costs a lot more. Does anyone know any way around this? It's really upsetting me not having someone to help.

Rhankyou for listening

4 Replies 4

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello eckybecky,

I'm in NSW and I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with this money/health issue. It's a really frustrating thing.

I'll be honest and say I don't know. Someone else may know of alternatives.

If you are below 25, I believe Headspace does help for a low cost.

Otherwise, have you spoken to your psychologist about it? I've heard that some psychologists come to agreements with their patients, or even may just know of low cost alternatives.

Depending on what you are struggling, community centres and hospitals often know of or even run group sessions which can be a lot cheaper.

There is also your GP and while it's a bit more difficult, a bit of trial and error may help you find a good GP with understanding of mental health.

I realise they may not have the same training, but often if you've had enough sessions with a psychologist to learn the skills required, you can share these with your GP and they can help keep track of your progress.

I hope you are doing okay today.

James

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi eckybecky

Welcome to the forums and good on you for posting too!

I used to have chronic anxiety for years and now have depression. I was broke when I had the anxiety so I had no choice but to see a mental health care worker....My GP put me onto him. The MHW turned out to be a gem..he was a psychiatric nurse and was free too. Sometimes a social worker can be a great help too.....and free.

Just a thought eckybecky....maybe see your GP and ask the question. He/she should have all the pertinent information to help you.

I saw my MHW at a community centre an hour a week for seven months...no charge. he also gave me my life back too 🙂

Many GP's also have better training on mental health nowadays too.......sometimes a double appt can work wonders for our problems...(if you have bulk billing)

There are also many super kind people on the forums that can be here for you ecky. The forums are a safe and non judgemental place for you to post if you wish of course

I hope some of this may be of help to you eckybecky

my kind thoughts for you during this rough time. You have a great attitude...really proactive ecky!

Paul

Hello Eckybecky

Welcome to the forum. I have to say first up that I live in Qld so no specific knowledge of NSW facilities. That said there are some resources available across Australia. Talking to your GP would be helpful. Many GPs these days are more aware of organisations that can offer counselling for mental health situations. My GP, who has a specific interest in mental health has been counselling me for several years and as I got better our sessions are further apart. Ask your GP if she/he offers this.

I can give you some generic suggestions. By the way may I ask how old you are. If 25 or under there are specific organisations that can help you. Let me know and I will give you their contact details.

You can restart your MH plan next January but this does not address the current situation. I presume you have had ten sessions with a psychologist. There are provisions for you to have a few more sessions on the recommendation of your psychologist. Check with your GP or psych.

You can access online counselling from several organisations. Mindspot and the Suicide Call Back Service. Don't be put off by the name.

There are organisations such as Relationships Australia, Anglicare and the Salvation Army who offer face to face counselling. Usually the counsellors are not psychologists but they are qualified counsellors. There usually is no charge or a very small charge of a few dollars.

You can go to your local public hospital and ask to see the psychiatrist or psychologist in the mental health unit. Usually these services will only be available in the larger hospitals in the town.

I am not sure if you want a group session. Usually these are for a group of people who have similar mental health diagnosis, much like AA which is specifically for alcoholics.

Do you have private medical insurance. Depending on your level of cover they will pay a rebate for you to see a psychologist. Not as much as Medicare though.

Ask your GP to refer you to a psychiatrist. Their fees are usually high but Medicare will refund a large chunk and there are no limits to the number of visits. Ask Medicare what the refund will be. If you have a low income health care card or another CentreLink pension I understand you will be eligible for the Medicare Safety Net provisions. Check with Medicare. The gap fee will be high to start with but if your safety net amount is low you will reach the limit soon and your rebate will increase dramatically. Let me know if this is helpful.

Mary

Mama2Zman
Community Member

You could call your local community health service. I know where I am they offer counseling services to low income families and individuals. If they don't offer it where you are they will know the best place to go. You can also try NSW Family Referral Service. They can refere you to the right services around too.

Talking to your doctor will be a good idea too. He may have a good suggestion for you.

Sarah