FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

First psychologist appointment

Patches63
Community Member

Couple weeks ago I had initial appointment with psychiatrist which at the time, and at times now, leaves me feeling confused.  Don’t know if flow of appointment was general or not.  Hoping some one can share knowledge and shed some light.  Have first review in few days time.

at start of appointment he asked what I hoped to get out of seeing him.  I mentioned number of psychologist appointments I had attended, was still dealing with mood swings, trouble sleeping, regular SI thoughts and flashbacks, flashbacks that when triggered happen day and night.  

he asked questions about my past but not in a methodical time line. This started to give me headache and feeling unsettled.  I offered to explain events from my child hood to current but he said he would ask the questions about what he wanted to know.  This saw the questions relating to when I was in my 20’s followed by one event when I was 12yo followed by events in my 40’s and then back to when I was teenager.  I felt so confused and my headache was getting worse.

at one stage he asked how old was I when my husband died, how long had we been together.  I felt uncomfortable when he asked why I don’t have kids and why my first de facto relationship wasn’t until I was in my 40’s.  He kept asking questions about things that happened, my memories and feelings from when I was mid primary school to early 20’s.  As I told him the first time he has I have some memories but lot of those years I don’t remember. After him asking same question 2 (maybe 3) times I told him I only have vague memories of majority of traumatic events with my last 40+ years, felt like he didn’t believe me.

outcome of 90min appointment with him was he increased my antidepressants and said at review appointment if I’m still struggling he has option to increase the dosage again.

The meds are helping as am feeling happier within myself, have interest in things, being socially engaged.  When triggered it’s like a light switch has been flicked the other way …. Want to isolate by staying at home, preferable in bed, don’t want to communicate with anyone, go from tears to anger and have no interest in anything, scared to sleep due to flashback nightmares.

2 Replies 2

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Patches

I imagine I would have felt confused & maybe as if rushed to cover too much in the one 90-minute session. I can't say what his thought processes were, if this is his usual way of practicing, or if he is one of those psychiatrists who more often are there to prescribe, &/or monitor medications. I met a couple like that when in my search for my current psychiatrist. In both instances, their rooms were like business offices, & they were, fortunately, up front with me that they didn't offer the sort of long-term, talk therapy I was seeking.

I would suggest, at the review meeting, could you ask them if the only help they are offering you is about the medications. If so, ask why he is not offering other therapy to you. You could directly say you were hoping to find someone who could help you deal with strategies, the effects of the traumas, with ways you can care for yourself without relying only on medication. See what he says.

It would be very disappointing if he says he can't help you with more than reviewing your medication & adjusting that from time to time. If that happens, you might like to ask if he could refer you to someone who can help you with other therapies.

Another option is to see your GP for advice, maybe see a counsellor or psychologist as well, so they can provide the talking type of therapy to you. I know, if you have a Mental Health Care Plan, that allows only a certain number of sessions with a psychologist per year, & that might not seem enough.

In that case, you might be back to finding another psychiatrist, using Medicare, (but there are precious few psychiatrists who bulk bill anymore) & paying part of the costs yourself on a limited income could amount to a lot. This way requires some preparation, like saving up enough money in your bank account to cover what Medicare won't pay. Do some research about that so you know what to expect.

I think, since it's okay for him to ask the same questions, you can too. If he doesn't seem to have heard you, ask again.

Importantly, you want a psychiatrist who is hearing you, responsive to your questions & needs, & who can deliver the best therapy for your individual needs. 

Hope this helps.

Hugzies

mmMekitty

mmMeKitty, I’ve been having regular appointments each 2 to 3 weeks with a psychologist since approx July.  She is easy to talk to, time travels quickly in each session.  Most of our conversations since early September have related to either plans .i had made prior to moving or my progress with settling into my new home since moving in at start of October.  Only time anything has been discussed about events in my past was first 2 sessions which involved going through event timeline that I had prepared.  Couple times since then I have asked when will we start talking about events in my past and she says it will be next session.  

I am now paying full out of pocket costs as am no longer eligible for rebate through Medicare.  Due to public holidays and her available appointments it will be approx 6 weeks until my next session with her.  In session couple days prior to Christmas I mentioned mood swings and wanting to isolate when triggered, fingers crossed we talk about this at next session which is not until start of Feb.  medication is ‘all well and good’ but not something I want to be on at current dosage for ever.

Patches