FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Does shift work affect recovery?

luciban
Community Member
I have been on a low dose SNRI for about 4 months and had to have a dose increase two weeks ago for a relapse in my symptoms after a four day stint of night duty.  This worked very well and I have felt fantastic for two weeks (my normal happy self) until last week when I had to do night duty again for only two nights.  My doctor is very supportive and suggests a low dose medication to help me sleep during the day while on nights.  Most days this works.  I have still had two relapses of symptoms since starting the medication both times while on night duty.  My doctor is very concerned that I have been in to see her two to three times since starting the SNRI 4 months ago for relapses in my symptoms.  She is suggesting that maybe this medication is not the one for me and I may have to change, but I am  very reluctant to do this as in recent years prior to this episode I have been on this same medication for long periods, done shift work with no relapse of symptoms.  She is suggesting that this time it is not working and I may have to see a psychiatrist.  I am seeing a very good psychologist and use many relaxation, techniques, exercise etc. which do not seem to work well when I am seriously struggling to get through the day as I have recently.  I understand my Dr is concerned that I have had three up and downs since starting the medications.  I have only been taking the higher dose for two weeks and think I have to let it work for a couple of weeks more to see if it works.  She is agreeable to this but no more than two more weeks she thinks.  I am really scared that she will send me to a Psychiatrist to see if she is "missing something" in  my diagnosis.  I know my illness very well, I have had it for years and managed it very well.  Just this time I am not responding as well to this medication.  I have told her I want to keep going and have night duty again in 4 weeks, to see how I go.  It is a requirement of my job that I do shift work and I love my job.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?
3 Replies 3

Billy66
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hi luciban

as a nurse I did night shift for many years. I have bipolar and the changes in shifts nearly killed me. I to loved my job and medication was working well until I started doing nights. I couldnt get more than 4 hours a day sleep and was doing up to 6 10hr shifts in a row. Not good. In the end i had to change jobs after an attempt to end my life. I now work normal shifts and while the pay is less I manage sleep when I'm well. My sleep improved when I stopped night duty and so did the depressive phases of my bipolar. . It has flared up again but thats the nature of the beast in my head. 

I guess what I'm saying is that you have to sort out whats more important- work or sanity if your GP cant sort your meds out. dont be stressed out about seeing a psychiatrist as they are really just supporting your GP

take care

Billy66

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Luciban, welcome

I did shift work, 12 hour shifts for 6 years during a period of which I learned of my depression and other mental issues. So when I first met with a psychiatrist and explained my work pattern he was astounded.  2 days noon till midnight, 24 hours off, 2 shifts midnight to noon then 4 days off during which I worked 1-3 12 hours shifts overtime.

Sleep is really important with those that have mental illness. I was urged to find another job. Twelve months later I got that new job and have never worked shift work again. It took me a long time to get into a day work pattern.

We think we can endure less sleep along with all the other things that we shouldn't do like too much alcohol, stressful career choice, nasty friends etc. We have to listen to the expert and do what we have to do as a top priority.

So that happened many years ago and since then I've actively done all I've had to do, moved to the country, daytime work, ridding my life of toxic people, financial stability, stable medication etc etc....and I am still living on the edge in terms of coping with life. Had I not been proactive I don't know where I'd be.

Listen to our doctors and do what you need to do.

Tony WK

Thank you White Knight.  It is good to hear from someone who has been in the same circumstance.  I have to seriously think about finding a position or getting a letter from my Dr that relieves me me of night duty.  She said she would give me one if I wanted but would have to detail the reason and I did not want my employer to know such a personal detail about me I suppose.  I am enormously grateful to her for helping me and want to get better, I am just baffled why I have flare ups after night duty?   I have done them for about 20 years on and off and have never reacted like this before and have been on this same medication.  Thanks for your support.