FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

ADHD meds and treatment

laureah21
Community Member

hi everyone,

im really really struggling with ADHD at the moment.  Thoughts are racing all over the place,  can’t collect them

to get anything done.  It’s like they are going so fast I can’t focus on anything in particular.  Feel exhausted by it.  Drinking about five cups of coffee a day which is the only thing that focuses them a bit.  Takes a heap of effort and list writing to complete tasks and I have zero motivation to do it.  Also since having covid the symptoms have gotten worse and my memory has gone also and is replaced by a fog.   I can’t seem to rember anything.  At supermarket the other day and I completely forgot where I’d parked my car.  No idea even the direction.  I even struggle to form

words sometimes, like I’ve forgotten them.  So I got a referral from my GP to go back to a psychiatrist as haven’t been on meds since before covid.  I can’t seem to get in anywhere.  All psychiatrists

im trying,  seem to have closed their books.

what is the solution to this.  I’m sure psychiatrist have much more important clients then me that just needs a prescription.  It’s so frustrating though.

has anyone had much luck with other things with ADHD other then meds that might help?

4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

I was diagnosed with ADHD at 47yo. I took 12 different types of meds over 6 years and none worked. I was rediagnosed by another psych- result? not ADHD at all but bipolar etc. My point is- that proper diagnosis is essential but also professional medical staff like psych's and therapists are crucial to the best care you can get. Here at Beyondblue we dont replace those people, we as peer advisors are those with mental health issues together with life experience that can comfort you in between visits.

Hence I have some knowledge on ADHD having researched it. Those symptoms like lack of focus, failing memory etc are ADHD for sure but they are not solely ADHD. Aging for example can make a memory lapse.

In some ways your answer to these issues along with psych appointments when available, is acceptance of your symptoms.eg

I hope that helps. 

TonyWK

Thanks Tony.  I have been diagnosed with ADHD by a psychiatrist but due to covid and not renewing my prescription I now can’t get an appointment with my old psych as im classed a new patient as not been in two years.  My GP has given me numbers to three different places and earliest I can get in is September.  I am used to handling it with lifestyle changes but sooooo bad at the moment.  Im low in B12 and pre menopausal so it doesn’t help either.  Thanks for all the resources.  I’ll check them out 🙂

Get back on medication. Just my opinion obviously and I can't name any on here but I went through similar predicament.. and went back on medication. I thought to myself why didn't I do this sooner!! (*Obviously medical advice and supervision is required) I don't wanna get in trouble 😬🙊

You should try vit B12 injections.